Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hmmm wind turbines
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
Hmmm wind turbines
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...-landfills

I wonder if the greenies take this into account for there windmills?
02-11-2020 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: Hmmm wind turbines
Still better than alternatives...and we will find a way. To wit...

Quote:One start-up, Global Fiberglass Solutions, developed a method to break down blades and press them into pellets and fiber boards to be used for flooring and walls. The company started producing samples at a plant in Sweetwater, Texas, near the continent’s largest concentration of wind farms. It plans another operation in Iowa.

“We can process 99.9% of a blade and handle about 6,000 to 7,000 blades a year per plant,” said Chief Executive Officer Don Lilly. The company has accumulated an inventory of about one year’s worth of blades ready to be chopped up and recycled as demand increases, he said. “When we start to sell to more builders, we can take in a lot more of them. We’re just gearing up.”

Quote:“Wind turbine blades at the end of their operational life are landfill-safe, unlike the waste from some other energy sources, and represent a small fraction of overall U.S. municipal solid waste,” according to an emailed statement from the group. It pointed to an Electric Power Research Institute study that estimates all blade waste through 2050 would equal roughly .015% of all the municipal solid waste going to landfills in 2015 alone.
02-11-2020 04:14 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Still not better than nuclear...besides the blades aren't the issue. Its the generator
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 04:32 PM by vandiver49.)
02-11-2020 04:27 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(02-11-2020 04:27 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Still not better than nuclear

Bingo!
02-11-2020 04:31 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
using energy of course to do so

I'm wondering (serious question) what oither energy sources (nukes are the only one that comes to mind) that would not be landfill safe, but I'm not remotely an expert here.
02-11-2020 04:34 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
02-11-2020 04:35 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-11-2020 04:34 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  using energy of course to do so

I'm wondering (serious question) what oither energy sources (nukes are the only one that comes to mind) that would not be landfill safe, but I'm not remotely an expert here.

Coal fly ash. Electric waste burning facilities (tire and landfill source) also have very nasty ash products which often require HAZMAT handling.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 04:43 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
02-11-2020 04:39 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
There are lots of good arguments against wind turbines but waste blades taking up space in landfills is among the weakest. 1) as you can see they stack very nicely and the volume we're talking here PALES in comparison to so many other categories of waste, and 2) These are not organic so they don't produce gas and they don't produce liquids that leach chemicals and potentially get to groundwater.
02-11-2020 06:15 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-11-2020 06:15 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  There are lots of good arguments against wind turbines but waste blades taking up space in landfills is among the weakest. 1) as you can see they stack very nicely and the volume we're talking here PALES in comparison to so many other categories of waste, and 2) These are not organic so they don't produce gas and they don't produce liquids that leach chemicals and potentially get to groundwater.

They have to use diamond carbide saw blades to cut these blades up. The largest source of industrial diamond carbide is made from petrochemicals.

One blade has to be transported by two tractor trailers to a landfill that will take them.

Last time I checked the majority of the equipment used in landfills is powered by diesel fuel.
02-11-2020 06:45 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(02-11-2020 06:45 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 06:15 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  There are lots of good arguments against wind turbines but waste blades taking up space in landfills is among the weakest. 1) as you can see they stack very nicely and the volume we're talking here PALES in comparison to so many other categories of waste, and 2) These are not organic so they don't produce gas and they don't produce liquids that leach chemicals and potentially get to groundwater.

They have to use diamond carbide saw blades to cut these blades up. The largest source of industrial diamond carbide is made from petrochemicals.

One blade has to be transported by two tractor trailers to a landfill that will take them.

Last time I checked the majority of the equipment used in landfills is powered by diesel fuel.

You are talking about a drop in the bucket. Close to 300MM tons of municipal solid waste (banana peels and milk cartons) are sent to landfills every year. And THEN you add industrial waste on top of that. This article says 8,000 blades in the next 4 years. That is a microscopic percentage of our total waste stream AND it's basically inert.

Come on folks - wind turbines are silly for a lot of reasons: They don't work when the wind doesn't blow, we don't have decent storage technology, turbine fields take up way too much space, they kill thousands of birds. This landfill thing is a canard.
02-11-2020 07:06 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
They are getting ready to put ~100 of these in my fishing grounds.
02-11-2020 07:10 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(02-11-2020 03:59 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...-landfills

I wonder if the greenies take this into account for there windmills?

02-11-2020 07:14 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
That was cool music. I really liked the beat and it's danceable.

What? We're not on American Bandstand?
02-12-2020 12:12 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(02-11-2020 07:10 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  They are getting ready to put ~100 of these in my fishing grounds.

And?

Is there a negative effect to fishing...other than maybe preventing you from accessing your favorite hole?
02-12-2020 09:16 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(02-12-2020 09:16 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 07:10 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  They are getting ready to put ~100 of these in my fishing grounds.

And?

Is there a negative effect to fishing...other than maybe preventing you from accessing your favorite hole?

I've heard, from other internet keyboard warriors, that the vibrations from the turbines could have a negative impact on fishing, but I haven't read anything that supports that.

On the other hand, if they allow boats into the general vicinity it may give me more structure to fish, especially when the blades start collapsing into the water. Of course, I don't want to be near one when the blades come off.

They will be ugly to view and probably will cost me in tax dollars to support in the long run.

And I don't have a favorite hole yet, as this will be my first year fishing in NJ.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 09:41 AM by GrayBeard.)
02-12-2020 09:40 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(02-12-2020 09:40 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

And?

I've heard, from other internet keyboard warriors, that the vibrations from the turbines could have a negative impact on fishing, but I haven't read anything that supports that.

On the other hand, if they allow boats into the general vicinity it may give me more structure to fish, especially when the blades start collapsing into the water. Of course, I don't want to be near one when the blades come off.

They will be ugly to view and probably will cost me in tax dollars to support in the long run.

And I don't have a favorite hole yet, as this will be my first year fishing in NJ.

Interesting...and are blades falling off a thing? Have not heard that. If so, YIKES!
02-12-2020 10:22 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

And?

They do kill lots of birds.
02-12-2020 10:25 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(02-12-2020 10:22 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

And?

Interesting...and are blades falling off a thing? Have not heard that. If so, YIKES!

Having driven by a bunch of these things in California, yes the blades will break and fall off.
02-12-2020 10:28 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(02-12-2020 10:28 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 10:22 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

And?

Having driven by a bunch of these things in California, yes the blades will break and fall off.

I've seen quite a few as well...especially on my last trip to Niagara Falls via Canada. Didn't see any with less than 3 blades.
02-12-2020 10:29 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 10:34 AM by GrayBeard.)
02-12-2020 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.