Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Bun-B
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Hadn't heard about this before. Wondering how it has worked out.

Rice U's Religion and Hip-Hop Culture online course

Rapper Bun B Teaches Religion and Hip-Hop Course at Rice University

Artist: Bun-B
Album: Trill O.G.
Rap: "Countin' Money"
August 3, 2010 Rap-a-Lot Records/Fontana Records/Universal Music

02-10-2020 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: OT: Bun-B
I don't think it is taught anymore. Lasted for a couple semesters but was gone by the time I graduated (Dec. '17).
02-10-2020 12:50 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(02-10-2020 12:50 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I don't think it is taught anymore. Lasted for a couple semesters but was gone by the time I graduated (Dec. '17).

Thanks. Did you or anyone you knew sign up for it? Did you hear what it was like?
02-10-2020 01:27 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(02-10-2020 01:27 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 12:50 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I don't think it is taught anymore. Lasted for a couple semesters but was gone by the time I graduated (Dec. '17).

Thanks. Did you or anyone you knew sign up for it? Did you hear what it was like?

I did not take the course, however I did know a few people who were enrolled.

I remember hearing that it wasn't super difficult, but also wasn't a total blow-off. About half the classes were taught by Bun B, with the other half taught by an "actual professor."
02-10-2020 01:47 PM
Advertisement

jellowl Offline
Water Engineer

Excellent course. Started with a foundational history, pillars of hip hop, etc., talked about songs, movements, and characters that defined different eras of hip hop history while carrying the thread of religion throughout. Anthony Pinn was the other prof. Pinn and his graduate assistants did the more academic parts of the lectures and then Bun would speak from his own experience or bring in guest speakers (including Chamillionaire, Lupe Fiasco, Mike Watts, Z-Ro, and others). There were some lively debates.

Chamilliionaire told a story about spinning out on an I-10 ramp, having a come to jesus moment as he feared for his life, and then becoming best buds with Joel Osteen.
02-10-2020 02:10 PM
RiceOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: rice
Took the course and know several others that did as well.

Echoing jellowl, found it much more insightful than expected with some really interesting guest speakers. Dr. Pinn was the primary lecturer but Bun aka Professor Trill attended class almost daily and was never afraid to offer his thoughts or opinions.

Only downside was how the class was graded - did quite well, but plenty of other struggled due to the ambiguous nature of measuring 'mastery' in religion and hip hop. In hindsight, how does one really grade on that subject anyways...?
02-10-2020 02:18 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(02-10-2020 02:18 PM)RiceOwl Wrote:  Took the course and know several others that did as well.

Echoing jellowl, found it much more insightful than expected with some really interesting guest speakers. Dr. Pinn was the primary lecturer but Bun aka Professor Trill attended class almost daily and was never afraid to offer his thoughts or opinions.

Only downside was how the class was graded - did quite well, but plenty of other struggled due to the ambiguous nature of measuring 'mastery' in religion and hip hop. In hindsight, how does one really grade on that subject anyways...?

In a genre where DEF is the ultimate goal, who would want to receive an A,B, or C?
02-10-2020 04:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.