Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jazz Gwathmey
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Jazz Gwathmey
She had a big game in the Puerto Rican National Team's upset over Brazil in Olympic qualifying.
15 points
8 rebounds
3 steals
2 assists

http://www.fiba.basketball/oqtwomen/fran...n-overtime
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 12:57 AM by olddawg.)
02-07-2020 12:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jeremyboz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU,WVU
RE: Jazz Gwathmey
Great job Gwathmey.
02-07-2020 03:23 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Puerto Rico is in a group that qualifies three of four teams. If they beat Australia tomorrow at 6:00 P.M. local/12:00 P.M. for us, they qualify. They play right before your Men at Delaware.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 08:33 AM by EvanJ.)
02-07-2020 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
Good job Jaz!
02-08-2020 12:55 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

She led Puerto Rico with 30, but they lost to Australia 100-73. To qualify, they need to beat France (who's 2-0) and/or have Australia (1-1) beat Brazil (0-2). Losing by 27 was costly because if France and Brazil win, Puerto Rico will be last in the point differential tiebreaker among the 1-2 teams and be the only team not to qualify. Brazil vs. Australia is tomorrow at 8:00 A.M. our time with France vs. Puerto Rico at 10:30 A.M.
02-08-2020 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvanJ Offline
1st String

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/us/2020-o...index.html is titled "Puerto Rico women's basketball team qualifies for Olympics for the first time."
02-09-2020 08:40 PM
Advertisement

LovethoseDukes Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
Fabulous news!!!!!!!
02-10-2020 08:29 AM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

Wowzers! Looking forward to seeing OUR JAZ marching in the Opening Ceremonies!!
02-10-2020 10:55 AM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Congrats to Jazz and the Puerto Rico team for making the "big dance"

Brian
02-10-2020 11:17 AM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

Really serious question.....I don't want to get slammed (looking at YOU, Hyper!) for asking.....has JMU had previous Olympians, or is Jaz a first? Because this really is a big deal. My own home town of Madison, WI, which is considerably bigger than the 'burg, has had a few, mostly winter ones (notably Eric and Beth Heiden and another speed skater named Kay Lunda) and UW-Madison has had some runners. Tennessee, of course, has had some track athletes and women's basketball players, but it's still a huge deal for Knoxville and any town. I remember excitement in Richmond over an Ethiopian skier because the Ethiopian Ski Federation was run out of the upstairs of a popular Ethiopian restaurant downtown and he was there occasionally (it was his aunt's place, I think). So Harrisonburg and JMU should really be excited about this.
02-10-2020 05:22 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-10-2020 05:22 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  Really serious question.....I don't want to get slammed (looking at YOU, Hyper!) for asking.....has JMU had previous Olympians, or is Jaz a first? Because this really is a big deal. My own home town of Madison, WI, which is considerably bigger than the 'burg, has had a few, mostly winter ones (notably Eric and Beth Heiden and another speed skater named Kay Lunda) and UW-Madison has had some runners. Tennessee, of course, has had some track athletes and women's basketball players, but it's still a huge deal for Knoxville and any town. I remember excitement in Richmond over an Ethiopian skier because the Ethiopian Ski Federation was run out of the upstairs of a popular Ethiopian restaurant downtown and he was there occasionally (it was his aunt's place, I think). So Harrisonburg and JMU should really be excited about this.

JMU has had athletes who have participated in the Olympics. Track and field primarily, but also in field hockey and some other sports. JMU is not TN little brother or sister.
02-10-2020 05:35 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(02-10-2020 05:22 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  Really serious question.....I don't want to get slammed (looking at YOU, Hyper!) for asking.....has JMU had previous Olympians, or is Jaz a first? Because this really is a big deal. My own home town of Madison, WI, which is considerably bigger than the 'burg, has had a few, mostly winter ones (notably Eric and Beth Heiden and another speed skater named Kay Lunda) and UW-Madison has had some runners. Tennessee, of course, has had some track athletes and women's basketball players, but it's still a huge deal for Knoxville and any town. I remember excitement in Richmond over an Ethiopian skier because the Ethiopian Ski Federation was run out of the upstairs of a popular Ethiopian restaurant downtown and he was there occasionally (it was his aunt's place, I think). So Harrisonburg and JMU should really be excited about this.

Tiombe Hurd
http://jmusports.com/sports/hof/roster/tiombe-hurd/2049

Wouldn't be surprised if we have some other Track and Field or Swimming olympic alums also, those have been two very strong programs over the years at JMU.
02-10-2020 05:36 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

We’ve had quite a few olympians, particularly female olympians. We have a storied women’s athletics history, more significant than most in Division 1.
02-10-2020 06:58 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Any of our Archers make the Olympics?
02-10-2020 07:53 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Jacob Wukie won silver in London 2012.
02-10-2020 07:58 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
I think Jacob was also an alternate in 2008. But yeah, I remember seeing flipping the channel to the Olympics and seeing him on the TV in 2012. I damn near feel off the treadmill! A real exciting development for sure though. I think we may have had other WBB players on National Teams, but they didn't make the Olympics.
02-11-2020 08:14 AM
Advertisement

orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

(02-10-2020 07:58 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Jacob Wukie won silver in London 2012.

I had to look him up. Mr. OTP used to be an archer so we watch that but I didn't remember Jacob. Cool!
02-11-2020 12:08 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Offhand, I remember a women's soccer player Christina Julien playing for Canada somewhat recently. Not a powerhouse national team, but Olympics are Olympics!

https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=1662&t=profile&

edit: forgot she goes by Corky Julien
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 05:25 PM by HyperDuke.)
02-11-2020 01:46 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Kevin Warner (aka JMUKev) compiled a list for us on twitter today. His list says:

Track & Field
Desi Wynter
Tiombe Hurd
Juli Speights Henner

Field Hockey
Carole Thate (how did you old guys let me miss that one??)

Women's Soccer
Corky Julien

Swim & Dive
Eva Hannesdottir

Archery
Jacob Wukie
02-11-2020 05:27 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2020 05:27 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Kevin Warner (aka JMUKev) compiled a list for us on twitter today. His list says:

Track & Field
Desi Wynter
Tiombe Hurd
Juli Speights Henner

Field Hockey
Carole Thate (how did you old guys let me miss that one??)

Women's Soccer
Corky Julien

Swim & Dive
Eva Hannesdottir

Archery
Jacob Wukie

Guilty as charged. Can't believe she slipped my mind.
02-11-2020 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.