Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo Basketball Commits Receive High Praise!
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Toledo Basketball Commits Receive High Praise!
The following are some recent comments on 2020 Toledo Basketball Commitments Ryan Rollins (Signed) and Jamere Hill (Verbal) from Newspaper Sports Reporters in Detroit and Chicago who cover Michigan and Illinois High School Basketball respectively:

David Goricki (The Detroit News)
“Ryan Rollins is having a great senior season, one of the top 5-to-7 players in the state. He is averaging 24 points per game as a point guard who attacks the basket. He hits the 3 and is extremely quick, causing problems at the top of the press due to his size at 6-3, and long wing span. He has also added strength by putting on 15 lbs. this past off season.”

Jon Henricksen (Chicago Sun Times)
“There simply are times when a player blossoms later than others. And when that blossoming occurs in a player with the physical skills that Jamere Hill possesses, the alarms sound in the evaluation and recruiting worlds. Hill is a very athletic and explosive guard with legitimate 6-3 size who has taken his game to another level this season averaging close to 20 points per game and leading his team to a #14 Illinois High School State Ranking. While he needs further development, Hill has a considerable amount of upside left in him.”

Steve Soucie (The Times-Herald)
I'm no recruiting expert, but I see a LOT of basketball and often see some of the best the state has to offer. The lack of interest until late in the process in Jamere Hill was very, very strange to me. I saw him outplay several much higher profile recruits. I could be wrong, but I think Toledo may have stolen one.”
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2020 09:14 AM by Basketball Jones.)
02-06-2020 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

RE: Toledo Basketball Commits Receive High Praise!
Thanks for the info great to hear maybe we are set at point guard for the next 4 years.
02-06-2020 11:38 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(02-06-2020 11:38 AM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Thanks for the info great to hear maybe we are set at point guard for the next 4 years.

Are both players projected as point guards?
02-07-2020 12:56 PM
WHRocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
Good information. I really like that they are tall, athletic, quick guards. I believe in the past this has been an issue defensively. Hope we hang on to the verbals.
02-07-2020 01:13 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(02-07-2020 12:56 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(02-06-2020 11:38 AM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Thanks for the info great to hear maybe we are set at point guard for the next 4 years.

Rollins may be more of a Combo Guard than a true point guard similar to Jalean Sandford and Justin Ingram. Just a guest from what I have read I have not seen him play.
02-07-2020 02:07 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Hey, Steve Sourcie- you suck! “Stolen one”. Ha! Kid wants to play for UT.
02-07-2020 02:55 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Will these kids sign with the team collapsing?
02-07-2020 04:49 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-07-2020 04:49 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Will these kids sign with the team collapsing?

I think they have signed.
02-07-2020 05:04 PM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

(02-07-2020 02:07 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 12:56 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  

Rollins may be more of a Combo Guard than a true point guard similar to Jalean Sandford and Justin Ingram. Just a guest from what I have read I have not seen him play.

What will be nice is that Toledo will not have to "force feed" either of them next year because of depth issues at the guard position as we return 3 quality guards (Jackson, Saunders and Littleson) that Rollins and Hill can learn from. It will be interesting to see how they develop and are utilized over the next 4/5 years as I think they both have tremendous upsides!
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 05:14 PM by Basketball Jones.)
02-07-2020 05:10 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-07-2020 05:04 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 04:49 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Will these kids sign with the team collapsing?

I think they have signed.

Hill and Moss have not signed. They committed after the early signing period.
02-07-2020 09:53 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Rollins is probably the best prospect of the 3 and he is signed. Hill is a sleeper recruit whose only D1 offer was UT when he verballed. No big 10 team is gonna try and come in and poach him. The scoop is that he's a developing player w high upside who probably fits best w a mid major that he can grow with. Moss might have a other solid options but has said he values the fit and UT felt right for him. He's an Ohio kid and the MAC makes sense. He is a big time athlete but not fully proven as an all around player from the standpoint of high major recruiters. The trio is a real win for the staff. To get 3 big athletic guards who all are a bit different could be a game changer for the program. There's some good young frontcourt talent and now it looks like the backcourt will be loaded. In a few years once these kids develop UT, and w Saunders still around, UT is gonna be able to rotate a bunch of 6-3/6-4 type guards w speed and skill. Considering we got some bigs, Edu, Smith, Maranka who can run it could be a much more uptempo style of play moving forward.
02-08-2020 05:05 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(02-08-2020 05:05 AM)pono Wrote:  Rollins is probably the best prospect of the 3 and he is signed. Hill is a sleeper recruit whose only D1 offer was UT when he verballed. No big 10 team is gonna try and come in and poach him. The scoop is that he's a developing player w high upside who probably fits best w a mid major that he can grow with. Moss might have a other solid options but has said he values the fit and UT felt right for him. He's an Ohio kid and the MAC makes sense. He is a big time athlete but not fully proven as an all around player from the standpoint of high major recruiters. The trio is a real win for the staff. To get 3 big athletic guards who all are a bit different could be a game changer for the program. There's some good young frontcourt talent and now it looks like the backcourt will be loaded. In a few years once these kids develop UT, and w Saunders still around, UT is gonna be able to rotate a bunch of 6-3/6-4 type guards w speed and skill. Considering we got some bigs, Edu, Smith, Maranka who can run it could be a much more uptempo style of play moving forward.

I hope you are right that these kids turn out as good as advertised...
Still we need some front court players besides Edu, Maranka, and Smith...
Acunzo might be OK, but still hasn’t proven he can jump over a Ritz cracker...
02-08-2020 11:55 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-08-2020 11:55 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 05:05 AM)pono Wrote:  Rollins is probably the best prospect of the 3 and he is signed. Hill is a sleeper recruit whose only D1 offer was UT when he verballed. No big 10 team is gonna try and come in and poach him. The scoop is that he's a developing player w high upside who probably fits best w a mid major that he can grow with. Moss might have a other solid options but has said he values the fit and UT felt right for him. He's an Ohio kid and the MAC makes sense. He is a big time athlete but not fully proven as an all around player from the standpoint of high major recruiters. The trio is a real win for the staff. To get 3 big athletic guards who all are a bit different could be a game changer for the program. There's some good young frontcourt talent and now it looks like the backcourt will be loaded. In a few years once these kids develop UT, and w Saunders still around, UT is gonna be able to rotate a bunch of 6-3/6-4 type guards w speed and skill. Considering we got some bigs, Edu, Smith, Maranka who can run it could be a much more uptempo style of play moving forward.

I hope you are right that these kids turn out as good as advertised...
Still we need some front court players besides Edu, Maranka, and Smith...
Acunzo might be OK, but still hasn’t proven he can jump over a Ritz cracker...

dude, acunzo is a baller. it's all about his health. if his foot is good i don't care if he crunches the cracker. the kid has a feel for the game and good size. he's one of those guys who fits perfect as a secondary scorer who can make plays toward the basket as a passer or dribbler and he's a good shooter. he's not luka doncic. he may not be "explosive". he may not be special. he may not play. but if you watch old footage of him (much of it is him playing hurt) you can see that he's clever and quick. there's plenty of good basketball players who use clever and quick (and size) to make plays instead of speed and leaping ability.

next year will, if nothing else, be a fun team to watch. aggressive, hungry (marreon, edu, littlseon) and also young and athletic. with 2 senior guards to organize the team on each end of the court and AJ hanging around the rim rejecting shots and starting fast breaks. will be more like a joplin team, if the joplin team had a real center.
02-09-2020 12:40 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
"I don't care if he crunches the cracker."

Ill have to keep that one handy.
02-09-2020 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.