Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Basketball tourney
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
CAA Basketball tourney
Does anyone know where the CAA basketball tournament HQ will be? The arena seems to be in no man’s land without nearby hotels and watering holes.

Even though it is looking more and more like JMU will have to win 4 games in 4 days coming out of the Keener round again, it still is fun to chat with fans from other schools as everyone has renewed hope that their team can somehow be the one that takes the tourney title.
01-29-2020 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: CAA Basketball tourney
I'm sure it's changed- hopefully for the better! When I was going to high school in DC in the 80s, that was not a place to venture to-scary area!
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020 01:42 PM by olddawg.)
01-29-2020 01:40 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

The area has been brought out of those shadows you talked about Olddawg. Just be prepared to smell "herbs" everywhere you go.
01-29-2020 02:01 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-29-2020 01:04 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Does anyone know where the CAA basketball tournament HQ will be? The arena seems to be in no man’s land without nearby hotels and watering holes.

Even though it is looking more and more like JMU will have to win 4 games in 4 days coming out of the Keener round again, it still is fun to chat with fans from other schools as everyone has renewed hope that their team can somehow be the one that takes the tourney title.

I'd think right back across the S. Capitol bridge where all the Nats Park/Audi Field stuff is would be the team hotels and there's a billion bars there now too. Bardo and Salt Line (Ryan Zimmerman's pretty great oyster bar) are right on that side. Not really sure on bar options on the SE side even though there's more casual food options there now. Really though, Dukes will be out the first game of pillow-fight Friday so not worth worrying too much about.
01-29-2020 02:46 PM
Dukester Offline

Sadly this is in my backyard, and I have zippo interest.
01-29-2020 03:12 PM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Anyone interested in going to some DC Defenders games? They have Khalid Abdullah and signed a few other JMU guys before NFL teams signed them for playoff runs.
01-29-2020 04:09 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(01-29-2020 04:09 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Anyone interested in going to some DC Defenders games? They have Khalid Abdullah and signed a few other JMU guys before NFL teams signed them for playoff runs.

Definitely planning on going to at least one. I’m all for these type of new leagues and something new. It’s a bonus that Abdullah is on the roster. Disappointed to see Vad was cut though. Wish he could catch a break.
01-29-2020 07:18 PM
Dukester Offline

(01-29-2020 04:09 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Anyone interested in going to some DC Defenders games? They have Khalid Abdullah and signed a few other JMU guys before NFL teams signed them for playoff runs.

That's cool. I had not heard that. If he plays much that would be worth going to see a future game.
01-30-2020 09:03 AM
jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
(01-29-2020 02:46 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  
(01-29-2020 01:04 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Does anyone know where the CAA basketball tournament HQ will be? The arena seems to be in no man’s land without nearby hotels and watering holes.

I'd think right back across the S. Capitol bridge where all the Nats Park/Audi Field stuff is would be the team hotels and there's a billion bars there now too. Bardo and Salt Line (Ryan Zimmerman's pretty great oyster bar) are right on that side. Not really sure on bar options on the SE side even though there's more casual food options there now. Really though, Dukes will be out the first game of pillow-fight Friday so not worth worrying too much about.

it should be some good games and we have played some close ones so I don't count out anybody
01-30-2020 10:46 AM
Advertisement

UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
The arena is in a terrible area. There is virtually nothing you can walk too. The main surrounding area is actually abandoned buildings. So im not saying there are poor restaurant choices or bars, there are no choices unless you like Popeyes. This is especially frustrating on the quarterfinal day where you want to blow 60-90 min in between sessions. I don't even know what you'd do, would have to leave and repay to park I assume.

This is close to me as well and I'm having trouble getting motivated to see some games.

The arena itself is newer and fairly nice though obviously on the very small side. 10 years from now it might be a nice little area but as of now its a ghost town surrounded by trouble.
01-30-2020 05:43 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

The arena is on property that's adjacent to the old, notorious insane asylum-St Elizabeths. It's 2.5 miles to the bar district around Nats Park.
01-30-2020 06:17 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2020 05:43 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  The arena is in a terrible area. There is virtually nothing you can walk too. The main surrounding area is actually abandoned buildings. So im not saying there are poor restaurant choices or bars, there are no choices unless you like Popeyes. This is especially frustrating on the quarterfinal day where you want to blow 60-90 min in between sessions. I don't even know what you'd do, would have to leave and repay to park I assume.

This is close to me as well and I'm having trouble getting motivated to see some games.

The arena itself is newer and fairly nice though obviously on the very small side. 10 years from now it might be a nice little area but as of now its a ghost town surrounded by trouble.

So there is parking onsite? I couldn’t tell from the website.
01-30-2020 06:51 PM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
(01-30-2020 06:17 PM)olddawg Wrote:  The arena is on property that's adjacent to the old, notorious insane asylum-St Elizabeths. It's 2.5 miles to the bar district around Nats Park.

And now DHS headquarters lol. This area is still terrible and probably the worst part of DC. If you go, uber in/out from across the river. I have no interest in going even though i'm pretty close
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 09:07 PM by jmuduke10.)
01-30-2020 09:06 PM
Advertisement

UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
I went to a couple WNBA finals games this year. There is parking on site, but most of it takes a half mile walk past the former mental hospital. There is a couple lots right next to the arena, but were small and for the best season ticket holder passes. Maybe for the CAA tournament everything will be cash and available.

Once inside the arena I think its a cool place to hold this outside of a big crowd final that wouldn't have enough seats. But the area is dreadful.
01-30-2020 10:48 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-29-2020 07:18 PM)Anders Wrote:  

Definitely planning on going to at least one. I’m all for these type of new leagues and something new. It’s a bonus that Abdullah is on the roster. Disappointed to see Vad was cut though. Wish he could catch a break.

Yeah, it should be fun. Audi Field will be great for football with basically every seat in the place close to the field. And speaking personally, my group of now mid-40's HS friends that is all DC sports fans have been looking forward to this as a pure Snyder-free alternative. Some good crowds having a good time would be such a refreshing change from all things Raljon and a solid middle finger to the little d-bag.
01-31-2020 10:35 AM
boozeNammo Offline
Special Teams

Ha. Just saw that the Defender's first game is against the Seattle Dragons. With that, I literally just found out that we have a team. Jim Zorn is the head coach too... that's kinda cool.
01-31-2020 07:36 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Does the CAA champion still get an auto bid to the ncaa tournament?
02-01-2020 02:33 PM
JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

(02-01-2020 02:33 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Does the CAA champion still get an auto bid to the ncaa tournament?

The CAA Tournament champion does.....
02-01-2020 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.