Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Virginia Democrat Delegate Hurst Released After Drunk Driving Traffic Stop
hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison
Virginia Democrat Delegate Hurst Released After Drunk Driving Traffic Stop
https://www.roanoke.com/news/hurst-detai...2iDBJzVTsU

Quote:A Virginia legislator pulled over on suspicion of intoxicated driving Sunday in Christiansburg left with a warning, not a charge — and could not have been cited even if the police officer wanted to because of a provision of the Virginia Constitution.

Del. Chris Hurst, D-Montgomery, was stopped about 2 a.m. and blew a .085%, a result above the .08% legal limit for blood alcohol, in a field breath test that would not have been admissible in court, according to an account Christiansburg officials released late Tuesday. Hurst passed other sobriety tests and was released.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/d...91609.html

Quote:A Southwest Virginia legislator who was pulled over on suspicion of intoxicated driving early Sunday left with a warning, not a charge — and could not have been cited even if the police officer wanted to because of a provision of the Virginia Constitution regarding immunity during General Assembly sessions.

Del. Chris Hurst, D-Montgomery, was stopped in Christiansburg about 2 a.m. and blew a 0.085%, a result above the 0.08% legal limit for alcohol, in a field breath test that would not have been admissible in court, according to an account Christiansburg officials released Tuesday. Hurst passed other sobriety tests and was released.

These are the ones that want to take away free speech, the 2A, and to make it easier to murder unborn babies. These are the ones that also want to strip online students of any grant money just because they are online and not on -campus to be controlled.

While it is true delegates and senators have immunity during the legislative session, I find it unfair that this person will probably not receive any kind of punishment within the legislative branch whatsoever. It also shows the hypocrisy of these people that you will charge someone who isn't a delegate or senator, but not someone who is if legislation is in session. Crazy.
01-29-2020 10:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
RE: Virginia Democrat Delegate Hurst Released After Drunk Driving Traffic Stop
He was more than legally intoxicated. He has immunity so they let him go. To possibly kill somebody.

That's sick beyond belief.

I get the powers-that-be exempt themselves from laws (I don't like it) but at least make them have to call a ride so that innocent people are put at risk.
01-29-2020 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Some folks are going to lose their jobs and it likely won’t be the politician because wiomwver voted for him before won’t care.
01-29-2020 11:04 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Virginia Democrat Delegate Hurst Released After Drunk Driving Traffic Stop
That is a centuries old law that was put on the books so legislators (and others) couldn’t be “arrested” and held for a period of time that would prevent them from riding their horse to the capital, congress or wherever to cast their votes.

It’s mildly akin to being diplomatic immunity, was put in place mainly to keep rural sheriffs/deputies from detaining Pols to affect the outcome of votes while GA is in session.

Clearly outdated and this is a case of it being badly abused.
01-29-2020 11:15 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(01-29-2020 11:15 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  That is a centuries old law that was put on the books so legislators (and others) couldn’t be “arrested” and held for a period of time that would prevent them from riding their horse to the capital, congress or wherever to cast their votes.

It’s mildly akin to being diplomatic immunity, was put in place mainly to keep rural sheriffs/deputies from detaining Pols to affect the outcome of votes while GA is in session.

Clearly outdated and this is a case of it being badly abused.

Good point. So the law was enacted to prevent bad behavior on the part of those who might try to impact votes. And the need was probably justified. This forces law enforcement to behave properly.

Now we need legislation that forces the elected official to behave properly. Such as, in the event that the official is in the process of committing or has committed a crime, the law enforcement office is justified in arresting his sorry butt.
01-29-2020 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(01-29-2020 11:21 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Now we need legislation that forces the elected official to behave properly. Such as, in the event that the official is in the process of committing or has committed a crime, the law enforcement office is justified in arresting his sorry butt.

"Properly" is an arguable word as everybody has a different definition.

Let's keep it simple. They should not be above the law and treated the same as any other individual living in this country (unless of course you are an illegal alien 03-phew)
01-29-2020 11:59 AM
hburg Online

https://wset.com/news/local/va-legislato...fcials-say

Has a video of the stop. Almost half way down the article.
01-29-2020 05:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

(01-29-2020 11:59 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  
(01-29-2020 11:21 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Now we need legislation that forces the elected official to behave properly. Such as, in the event that the official is in the process of committing or has committed a crime, the law enforcement office is justified in arresting his sorry butt.

"Properly" is an arguable word as everybody has a different definition.

Let's keep it simple. They should not be above the law and treated the same as any other individual living in this country (unless of course you are an illegal alien 03-phew)

That's true. I would not phrase the actual text of the law using the word "properly".

But it sufficed for the point of my post.
01-29-2020 06:32 PM
hburg Online

I personally think he should have been charged because he was not heading to the legislature to do legislative work.
01-29-2020 09:31 PM
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Laws are for thee, but not for me.

This cuck has as little honor as JD Tulane, and children should look away in disgust when passing this entitled chose on the streets.
01-29-2020 09:50 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(01-29-2020 09:50 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Laws are for thee, but not for me.

This cuck has as little honor as JD Tulane, and children should look away in disgust when passing this entitled chose on the streets.

The children had better keep their eye on him so they don’t get run over....
01-30-2020 08:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.