Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

@ Towson (Jan 30/7 PM); @ JMU (Feb 1/4 PM)
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
NEXT GAME
SAT 02/01
@JMU (4:00PM)

CURRENT D1 RECORD 4-16
CURRENT PLACE IN STANDINGS TIED 8th, 2-8
3 Games out of 6th

TV BROADCAST
MASN2
DirecTV - 641-1
Dish Network - 433

VIDEO STREAM
CAA.TV (FREE MADIZONE GAME PER JMU WEBSITE)
http://www.caa.tv
FloSports ($12.99/month)
http://www.flosports.tv/caa

AUDIO FEED
95.9 FM The Breeze & WKXB 99.9 FM HD2
http://v6.player.abacast.net/6995

OPPONENTS AUDIO FEED
WSVA 550AM and 92.1FM
http://player.listenlive.co/34401
Tune In Radio App:
http://tun.in/seo5l

LIVE STATS
http://UNCWstats.com

[Image: Towson.png]

It's round 2 against Towson, but under completely different circumstances as the first meeting of the season between the teams. The Tigers defeated the Seahawks 67-60 at Trask back on January 4th. Brian Fobbs and Allen Betrand combined for 32 points.

That Tigers' win started a 5-game winning streak, as Towson reeled off wins against Drexel, Delaware, JMU and Elon to improve to 6-3 and tied for 2nd in the league. But none of those opponents were as tough of a test as the revamped, Rob Burke-led Seahawks.

Expect the Seahawks to not be bullied like they were in the interior in the last matchup, and a gameplan suited to beat this team in the 2nd go-round.

[Image: James-Madison.png]

JMU also defeated the Seahawks in Trask back on January 2nd. But unlike Towson, who hasn't lost a game since the first meeting between the teams, the Dukes' season has gone into a spiral since the first meetup. JMU has lost 6 straight contests, with tough games against Charleston and UNCW on tap this week.

In the previous meeting, a game televised on CBS Sports, the Dukes escaped with a 64-60 victory, with three players (Matt Lewis - 15; DeShon Parker - 13; Dwight Wilson - 11) finishing in double figures. Wilson finished with a double-double, as he collected 15 rebounds.

Expect a totally different result in the 2nd matchup, with the expectation being that the Seahawks will impose their will on the hapless Louis Rowe-led Dukes.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 09:21 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-27-2020 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: @ Towson (Jan 30/7 PM); @ JMU (Feb 1/4 PM)
Last time we played is when we first implemented the press. It was very efffective against Towson so I hope we watch the game tape and do the same thing. We only shot 23% in the 1st half and 25% fron three on 3-12 shooting. We also only had 8 ft attempts and made them all. I just don't see our offense being that bad Thursday

They coughed up 17 TO's last time to our 11, and we know our TO's have dropped dramatically under Burke. We scored 14 points off those TO's and had 19 fast break points with 26 points in the paint. If we can do what we did last time, but with a better offense and a better half court defense. This should be another one that comes down to the wire. I could see Burke using the same strategy he did against CofC. Take away the drive, leave them open from three, and fight for rebounds. They turn the ball over a lot and aren't good from three.

Seahawks - 72
KittyKats - 68
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020 09:24 AM by 82hawk.)
01-29-2020 07:19 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-29-2020 07:19 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Last time we played is when we first implemented the press. It was very efffective against Towson so I hope we watch the game tape and do the same thing. We only shot 23% in the 1st half and 25% fron three on 3-12 shooting. We also only had 8 ft attempts and made them all. I just don't see our offense being that bad Thursday

They coughed up 17 TO's last time to our 11, and we now our TO's have dropped dramatically under Burke. We scored 14 points off those TO's and had 19 fast break points with 26 points in the paint. If we can do what we did last time, but with a better offense and a better half court defense. This should be another one that comes down to the wire. I could see Burke using the same strategy he did against CofC. Take away the drive, leave them open from three, and fight for rebounds. They turn the ball over a lot and aren't good from three.

Seahawks - 72
KittyKats - 68

While i agree, we can certainly win this game, you give us credit for everything we have improved, but don't acknowledge that they have done the same. They are on a tear
01-29-2020 08:39 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(01-29-2020 08:39 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-29-2020 07:19 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Last time we played is when we first implemented the press. It was very efffective against Towson so I hope we watch the game tape and do the same thing. We only shot 23% in the 1st half and 25% fron three on 3-12 shooting. We also only had 8 ft attempts and made them all. I just don't see our offense being that bad Thursday

They coughed up 17 TO's last time to our 11, and we now our TO's have dropped dramatically under Burke. We scored 14 points off those TO's and had 19 fast break points with 26 points in the paint. If we can do what we did last time, but with a better offense and a better half court defense. This should be another one that comes down to the wire. I could see Burke using the same strategy he did against CofC. Take away the drive, leave them open from three, and fight for rebounds. They turn the ball over a lot and aren't good from three.

Seahawks - 72
KittyKats - 68

While i agree, we can certainly win this game, you give us credit for everything we have improved, but don't acknowledge that they have done the same. They are on a tear

Two of the hottest teams in the CAA. It should be a fun matchup and hopefully a much better brand of basketball than what was played in Trask. Towson has a freshman named Jason Gibson who's been on fire the last two games and can stroke the 3. We can't leave him open like we did against Charleston. He won't miss like they did. Also, Bertrand and Fobbs have become a strong duo. We'll have our work cut out for us with a Towson team that goes fairly deep.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020 12:04 PM by Gary Miller.)
01-29-2020 09:16 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Seahawks - 72
KittyKats - 68

They are, but they also haven't faced a press since we played them, which is why we should press. We caused them to turn the ball over more than anyone this year, but they did turn it over 14 times against Elon. I just think we have the quick guard play that can give them trouble. We also forced our offense through Linssen then and he ended up going 2-10 from the field. We don't do that anymore. Like I said, I think it will be tight game. I just believe we'll win. Should be another one tailor made for Phillips. I think he's too quick for any guard to stop him from getting to the basket one on one.
01-29-2020 09:35 AM
Hall of Famer

82Hawks Wrote:Seahawks - 72
KittyKats - 68

A 72-68 score prediction reflects the reality that this is going to be a tough road win to get.

Towson is indeed red hot right now, and are living up to some of the expectations that had them finishing in the top 6 (per the coaches) despite a 6-12 season the year before.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020 12:03 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-29-2020 12:02 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I love the change in the team and general atmosphere about the team and discussions.

A couple weeks ago we were all assuming there was a good chance we wouldn't even win a game in the conference this year. Now we're discussing real possibilities of beating the hottest team in the conference right now... and it feels like old UNCW, you know what I mean? That EXPECTATION that our guys are going to get on the floor and gut it out and could win a tough game on the road.

What a beautiful change.
01-29-2020 02:43 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-29-2020 02:43 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  I love the change in the team and general atmosphere about the team and discussions.

A couple weeks ago we were all assuming there was a good chance we wouldn't even win a game in the conference this year. Now we're discussing real possibilities of beating the hottest team in the conference right now... and it feels like old UNCW, you know what I mean? That EXPECTATION that our guys are going to get on the floor and gut it out and could win a tough game on the road.

What a beautiful change.

Nicely put
01-29-2020 03:17 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2020 02:43 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  I love the change in the team and general atmosphere about the team and discussions.

What a beautiful change.

So true. Instead of discussing when a coach would be fired or what we need to do to win a game to stop an 11 game losing steak, we're discussing if we've found our new coach and what STRATEGY our coach will use to win...AGAIN
01-29-2020 05:46 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

We are 11 point dogs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-29-2020 06:48 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-29-2020 06:48 PM)Proff Wrote:  We are 11 point dogs.

Sheesh. I don't bet as a rule but I'm really tempted to start considering these massive point spreads....
01-29-2020 07:12 PM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

(01-29-2020 07:12 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Sheesh. I don't bet as a rule but I'm really tempted to start considering these massive point spreads....

UNCW has beaten the spread in every game that Burke has coached so far.
01-29-2020 07:42 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-29-2020 07:42 PM)70shawk Wrote:  

Nice jinx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-29-2020 09:18 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Towson is favored by 11. Unless I’m missing something, that seems way too high. My hope is that the Hawks pull it out.
01-29-2020 09:28 PM
Hall of Famer

https://uncwsports.com/news/2020/1/29/me...igers.aspx

[Image: webpreview_tow2.jpg?width=1440&q...format=jpg]

Men's Basketball 1/29/2020 6:56:00 PM Joe Browning

Seahawks Begin Second Rotation With TU

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – The Colonial Athletic Association's latest surprise team faces the league's hottest unit on Thursday night when UNCW opens the second half of the league's men's basketball schedule against Towson at SECU Arena.

The Seahawks, 7-15 overall and 2-7 in the CAA, carry a two-game winning streak into the 7 p.m. tip at the black and gold venue near Baltimore. UNCW owns a 2-1 record since Rob Burke took over as interim head coach on Monday, Jan. 13.

Towson, 12-9 and 6-3, has reeled off six straight wins, including a key 70-58 road victory last Saturday at CAA frontrunner William & Mary. The victory vaulted the Tigers into a three-way tie for second place with Charleston and Hofstra.

"The trip's going to be a challenge, but I like where we are right now and feel good about it," said Burke. "We just want to keep our blinders on and do what we need to do to get better.

"Thursday will be a very tough game. We were both 0-3 the last time we played and Towson has gotten better. They figured out who they are and what they're doing.

"We have our work cut out for ourselves. At the end of the day, they want to protect their home court and we want to try to steal a game."

UNCW hopes to build off an impressive 72-70 road win over Charleston last Saturday at TD Arena. The resurgent Seahawks overcame a partial crowd and several CofC rallies to snap a four-game losing streak to the Cougars. Coupled with a 76-74 overtime win over Northeastern in the previous game, the Seahawks matched their longest winning streak of the season.

After a slow start in conference play, the Tigers have regrouped as well, winning their last three league games to ascend in the standings. Freshman guard Jason Gibson collected CAA Rookie of the Week accolades after scoring a season-high 21 points in the 12-point verdict in Williamsburg. Senior guard Brian Fobbs had 17 points, sophomore guard Allen Betrand added 16 points and senior forward Dennis Tunstall had eight rebounds and four blocks in the win. Towson's league-leading defense held William & Mary to just 23 second-half points, a season low for the Tribe.

In the first matchup between the Seahawks and Tigers on Jan. 4 at Trask Coliseum, a pair of clutch three-pointers by Fobbs and Betrand near the three-minute mark of the second half broke open a tie game and lifted Towson past UNCW, 67-60. Fobbs and Betrand led all scorers with 16 points each on 12-for-27 shooting.

In its last appearance at SECU Arena on Jan. 5, 2019, UNCW used a stellar defensive effort to register its first conference road sweep since late 2016-17 with a 67-61 decision. Jay Estime' anchored four Seahawks in double figures with 13 points, including three crucial free throws in the final 43 seconds to secure the win. The Seahawks set the tone early by scoring the first 10 points of the game and the Tigers got no closer than four points the rest of the way.

Thursday's clash features two of the CAA's top first-year performers in Gibson and UNCW's Shykeim Phillips. Phillips has played in all 22 games for the Seahawks, making 16 starts, and averaged 9.5 points and 2.2 assists. Gibson has appeared in all 21 games and opened eight contests, collecting 7.7 ppg and 1.9 assists.

The Seahawks have only nine games remaining in the regular season - four on the road and five at home.

Thursday's contest will be carried over the air on The Breeze, 95.9 FM, with play-by-play voice Mike Vaccaro on the call. The game may be heard worldwide on the station's website, http://www.959thebreeze.com. A live video stream is available on FloSports.

Following Thursday, the Seahawks shoot over to the Shenandoah Valley for a Saturday afternoon date with James Madison. It will be UNCW's 34th and final appearance at the JMU Convocation Center since the Dukes are moving into the new Atlantic Union Bank Center next season.

Seahawk Storylines

UNCW and Towson are meeting for the 42nd time. The Seahawks own a 24-17 advantage in the series. Towson has won two in a row, but UNCW has taken six of the last 10 meetings.

UNCW stands 21-13 vs. Towson since the Tigers joined the CAA and 9-7 against the Tigers on their home floor since the two became CAA rivals.

The Seahawks used a different starting lineup for the seventh time in Saturday's win at CofC when junior guard Ty Gadsden made his first start of the year. Junior guard Mike Okauru and sophomore forward Marten Linssen are the only players to open every contest.

After seven consecutive games scoring in the 60s, the Seahawks have bucketed 70+ points in the last two outings - both victories.

UNCW's last three games have been decided by two points. The Seahawks are 4-4 in games decided by five points or less this season.

UNCW picked up its first true road victory with the shocker in Charleston. The Seahawks are 2-9 away from home, including 1-8 in true road games and 1-1 in neutral site games.

The Seahawks matched their longest winning streak of the season - two games - with the triumph in Charleston. UNCW topped FIU and Emory & Henry in back-to-back games on Nov. 23 and Nov. 26.

UNCW wraps up its eight-game January slate at SECU Arena. The Seahawks are 2-5 this month heading into its finale.

The Seahawks set a season high for free throws made (22/33) and season lows for turnovers (7) and steals (0) in last Saturday's matchup at CofC.

Junior guard Ty Gadsden is finally healthy and that's good news for the Seahawks. The Charlotte product made his first start of the season at CofC and responded with 16 points and four assists in 31 minutes. He went 8-for-9 at the charity stripe, including 5-of-6 in the last 9.7 seconds to seal the win.
01-29-2020 09:41 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I don't bet, and I don't worry about spreads, just do we wn or lose. Being that I think we'll win, of course I think we'll beat the spread.
01-29-2020 09:44 PM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

(01-29-2020 09:18 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-29-2020 07:42 PM)70shawk Wrote:  

Nice jinx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are way beyond 'beat the spread jinxes'! Beating the spread is a "moral victory", and moral victories are of no use to anyone at this point. The Seahawks need a straight-up road win tonight against the hottest team in the conference.

This will be one to watch!
01-30-2020 06:48 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Took some time to watch the Towson/Tribe game.

1. Willliam and Mary has an offense that looks a lot like ours under MCGrath. Get the ball in the post to Knight and put a bunch of guys at the 3 point line. The Tribe just wasn't hitting their threes and they really don't have much movement or the guards to get to the basket for layups or to draw fouls.

2. Towson's offense didn't look much better. They really look to isolate one on one on the sides and aren't looking for the three ball that much. They basically post their bigger guards outside the lane and go one on one. Bigger, but not quick guards. No cutters, no pick and roll, no kick outs. They really do remind me of CofC. They get the ball up quickly off defensive rebounds, so we've get to get back. They also take a lot of time to get their offense moving, which is why even a token press to run clock will be huge.

We know we are going to lose the rebounding battle, so we have got to pressure them and force some turnovers to make up for those lost posessions. When we use Linssen to pull out a defender at the basket then drive a guard, that will be a requirement. They are long at almost every position, so we can't have defenders hanging out in the paint to block shots our guards put up. I really think we can hurt their offense with our press and I also think we can score on them with our quicker guards and get to the FT line or score. Once again, FT's will probably determine this game.
01-30-2020 07:07 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(01-30-2020 07:07 AM)82hawk Wrote:  We know we are going to lose the rebounding battle, so we have got to pressure them and force some turnovers to make up for those lost possessions.

I think they key is a bit deeper than just this. You have to minimize their offensive rebounds and 2nd chance opportunities. If you just lose the rebounding game off your shots, there is little to worry about. If they are getting like 10 offensive rebounds, it could make your night a long frustrating one.
01-30-2020 07:55 AM
Proff Offline
1st String

Spread is still 11. The over/under is 133.5.

01-30-2020 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.