Open TigerLinks

NIT or bust
Bookmark and Share
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
NIT or bust
Cause the NCAA tournament ain't happening.
01-26-2020 04:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: NIT or bust
(01-26-2020 04:38 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  Cause the NCAA tournament ain't happening.

Probably unless there is a major coaching philosophy change. I'm guessing that won't happen because it will require our coach to admit it's a coaching issue.
01-26-2020 05:42 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Taking the #1 class to the NIT while playing in the AAC is just mind blowing. I’m sure it will do wonders for future recruiting as well.
01-26-2020 06:20 PM
Oman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis !!
(01-26-2020 06:20 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Taking the #1 class to the NIT while playing in the AAC is just mind blowing. I’m sure it will do wonders for future recruiting as well.

Memphis HAD the #1 class. Losing the #1 player would drop us out of the too 10
01-26-2020 06:30 PM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(01-26-2020 06:30 PM)Oman Wrote:  
(01-26-2020 06:20 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Taking the #1 class to the NIT while playing in the AAC is just mind blowing. I’m sure it will do wonders for future recruiting as well.

Memphis HAD the #1 class. Losing the #1 player would drop us out of the too 10

Don't waste your time attempting to explain to some folks that it takes SEVERAL consecutive solid recruiting classes to build a program from where we were a few years ago to an NCAA Tournament qualifier.
01-26-2020 07:12 PM
ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
I don't give a **** who we play or when. I'll be there, proud and wearing blue.

Own your fandom *******.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 07:20 PM by ImaTiger.)
01-26-2020 07:19 PM
Advertisement

tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2020 07:19 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  I don't give a **** who we play or when. I'll be there, proud and wearing blue.

Own your fandom *******.

Getting a NIT bid does not warrant extreme frustration? I have not seen where people will recant their fandom if Memphis does not accomplish what people had expectations for at the beginning of the season or even after JW vanished.

This team and coaching staff this year thus far warrants frustration and disappointment. That does not, however, mean that we are not "owning our fandom".
01-26-2020 10:14 PM
Tigator14 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U of M Tigers
(01-26-2020 07:19 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  I don't give a **** who we play or when. I'll be there, proud and wearing blue.

Own your fandom *******.

REALLY? So no regrets in the fact that even after JW quit on his team, coach and city, that the current Tiger squad still should have been expected to hit the NCAA tourney in stride? Still extreme talent and top level recruits.

40 point blowouts to mid level average teams and allowing a 12 point lead with 7 minutes to go and being out scored, out played, and out hustled down the stretch, not to mention allowing an 18-2 run with no game plan or strategy, isn’t completely frustrating even to the most ardent fans, and is okay?

WOW! Maybe you would be happy following the team to postseason CBI or CIT, said you’ll proudly be there. Guess mediocrity is good from your seat, we’ve experienced enough of that with Pastner and Tubby to last a lifetime.

Tiger fans should expect more, if you’re okay with the way things are going, guess you’ve lost your competitive edge, or never had one.

Own your mediocrity*******
01-26-2020 11:44 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
What babies
01-27-2020 12:22 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Nothing like mocking your own school in a forum where the players see it

A rough patch after a pretty lengthy great one and YOU guys fall apart

If you told most that Wiseman would essentially not play this season, they would say that absence will cost us a few games, even if the other freshmen are talented. He was a different kind of young player

So, instead of being 16-3, which would have the babies not sniveling, we are 14-5, which is probably about right.

This season has seen a nice road win at Tennessee, neutral site win over NCState, home win over Mississippi, a nice win streak to boot, and getting over the Cincy roadblock.

If you are going to let failing to finish the Georgia and SMU games ruin it all for you, enjoy the misery.

But STOP with the asinine idea that anyone who doesn’t wallow in self mocking or abusing these kids is some sort of mediocrity embracer. That is bull****. It just means not being dicks and making over the top pronouncements because of a team slump.

But we get it, it is all black and white. Pastner was terrible, and if you don’t think he was terrible you accept terrible. A bit less nuanced than recognizing that ultimately he fell short of what the team needed and while 4 NCAAs were nice the failure to make a sweet 16 then missing the tourneys altogether meant it was time to go

But no, he was terrible. Penny is terrible

All nonsense

Freaking John Calipari had Uber talented teams in 2002 and 2005 compete in the NIT.

Maybe give the YOUNGEST team in America with a still quite new coach a little breathing room for a mid year slump. This same coach who knows nothing about substitution patterns and nothing about college basketball took last years team well farther than they had done under Tubby

This years retooling after Wiseman was suspended went pretty well for a while, and then the kids had a few bad games and breaks...DJ and his flu. Poor finished with Georgia and SMU

Dicks

Done
01-27-2020 12:35 AM
ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

When Yates came back; Gunn died and Bradley couldn't play team ball; i was there.
When Finch came back and got 3 Mc'd freshmen and imploded the next year and the high school coaches mutinied; I didn't leave.
And now that a 3rd former great has followed his heart to come back home and help; yea I'm gonna be there.

We can play in/on the CBI, NIT, CBS, WLMT, KNO, ESPN, 1,2,3 or Deportes *******. Grow up some of you sniffling little fan boy wimps.

Be a real fan.
01-27-2020 06:23 AM
Advertisement

fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers

Own your fandom *******.

Take a breather.
01-27-2020 07:49 AM
ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

(01-27-2020 07:49 AM)fishman6581 Wrote:  Take a breather.

Doin my best... But i saw what the ignorant masses and toxic media did to Yates and Finch. Hurts to see the same venom gather against Penny.

You know what I'm talking about.
01-27-2020 07:56 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 06:23 AM)ImaTiger Wrote:  When Yates came back; Gunn died and Bradley couldn't play team ball; i was there.
When Finch came back and got 3 Mc'd freshmen and imploded the next year and the high school coaches mutinied; I didn't leave.
And now that a 3rd former great has followed his heart to come back home and help; yea I'm gonna be there.

We can play in/on the CBI, NIT, CBS, WLMT, KNO, ESPN, 1,2,3 or Deportes *******. Grow up some of you sniffling little fan boy wimps.

Be a real fan.

We'll bless your heart. Lots of fans here who have been - thru the good & the bad. Doesn't mean we don't have opinions & expectations that have come in part from the very public & vocal bravado of our high profile coach. Frankly I don't know any fans that don't have opinions & expectations. And right now even the most casual & unknowledgeable fan knows we either don't have any talent we have been told we have or we have a coaching staff that can't coach the talent we have - or a combination of both......and we are disappointed & pissed, especially given the excuses & deflection we are now getting from that coach.
01-27-2020 08:01 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 08:01 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 06:23 AM)ImaTiger Wrote:  When Yates came back; Gunn died and Bradley couldn't play team ball; i was there.

Be a real fan.

We'll bless your heart. Lots of fans here who have been - thru the good & the bad. Doesn't mean we don't have opinions & expectations that have come in part from the very public & vocal bravado of our high profile coach. Frankly I don't know any fans that don't have opinions & expectations. And right now even the most casual & unknowledgeable fan knows we either don't have any talent we have been told we have or we have a coaching staff that can't coach the talent we have - or a combination of both......and we are disappointed & pissed, especially given the excuses & deflection we are now getting from that coach.

Very well said. This is starting to look like Josh Pastner 2.0 but instead of positive Paul on the magic bus, we get all the smoke
01-27-2020 08:15 AM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 12:35 AM)Mimi Wrote:  But STOP with the asinine idea that anyone who doesn’t wallow in self mocking or abusing these kids is some sort of mediocrity embracer.

As long as you STOP with the asinine idea that anyone who doesn't ignore patently obvious flaws with game planning and execution and discusses such on MT.org are "babies" and "dicks".

Dick
01-27-2020 08:38 AM
Advertisement

SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
Most people are not concerned about being 14-5 overall. It is the fact that we are 2-4 in our last six and 0-2 in our last two that included a 40 point loss to Tulsa and losing a 12 point lead with 6 minutes left to SMU...

It feels like teams got enough tape on us to start putting together effective plans, meanwhile our coaching staff refuses to make any adjustments. Teams have figured out that our defense is asinine for a college team with the constant switches. They just screen until they get Alo on a center, post him and shoot layups. We are still turning the ball over at an absolutely alarming rate, taking terrible shots with no concept of time and situation and look baffled anytime we have to setup a half court offense. We are 14-5 overall but it certainly feels like the wheels are coming off and there is need for major course correction.
01-27-2020 08:56 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 08:56 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  Most people are not concerned about being 14-5 overall. It is the fact that we are 2-4 in our last six and 0-2 in our last two that included a 40 point loss to Tulsa and losing a 12 point lead with 6 minutes left to SMU...

It feels like teams got enough tape on us to start putting together effective plans, meanwhile our coaching staff refuses to make any adjustments. Teams have figured out that our defense is asinine for a college team with the constant switches. They just screen until they get Alo on a center, post him and shoot layups. We are still turning the ball over at an absolutely alarming rate, taking terrible shots with no concept of time and situation and look baffled anytime we have to setup a half court offense. We are 14-5 overall but it certainly feels like the wheels are coming off and there is need for major course correction.

Maybe they should hire the guy who sat behind me Saturday that kept yelling to "get out of the zone defense". Even my wife turned to me and said - we're not playing a zone.
01-27-2020 08:59 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(01-27-2020 08:59 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 08:56 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  Most people are not concerned about being 14-5 overall. It is the fact that we are 2-4 in our last six and 0-2 in our last two that included a 40 point loss to Tulsa and losing a 12 point lead with 6 minutes left to SMU...

Maybe they should hire the guy who sat behind me Saturday that kept yelling to "get out of the zone defense". Even my wife turned to me and said - we're not playing a zone.

Maybe he was drunk and was meaning to yell "get into a zone defense"... 03-drunk03-lmfao
01-27-2020 09:11 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(01-26-2020 11:44 PM)Tigator14 Wrote:  

Own your fandom *******.

REALLY? So no regrets in the fact that even after JW quit on his team, coach and city, that the current Tiger squad still should have been expected to hit the NCAA tourney in stride? Still extreme talent and top level recruits.

40 point blowouts to mid level average teams and allowing a 12 point lead with 7 minutes to go and being out scored, out played, and out hustled down the stretch, not to mention allowing an 18-2 run with no game plan or strategy, isn’t completely frustrating even to the most ardent fans, and is okay?

WOW! Maybe you would be happy following the team to postseason CBI or CIT, said you’ll proudly be there. Guess mediocrity is good from your seat, we’ve experienced enough of that with Pastner and Tubby to last a lifetime.

Tiger fans should expect more, if you’re okay with the way things are going, guess you’ve lost your competitive edge, or never had one.

Own your mediocrity*******

I remember a team in 2008 losing a game when they were ahead by 9 with under 3 minutes to play. It happens.
01-27-2020 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.