nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
RE: Coach Brey....John Swofford is on line 1
Funny this was AT FSU HOME COURT

ND had 27 Free Throws
FSU had 14 Free throws

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is the most FTs Notre Dame has taken since December 2018</p>&mdash; Basketball School (@MichaelRogner) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelRogner/status/1221266546032435200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free throws: <br>FSU: 8 <br>Notre Dame: 23</p>&mdash; Rich (@FSURich) <a href="https://twitter.com/FSURich/status/1221261312921079808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have shot 8 FTs to NDs 23.... at home</p>&mdash; Basketball School? (@ben_stana) <a href="https://twitter.com/ben_stana/status/1221261457154891776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With 15:41 left in this game, FSU has been whistled for 14 fouls and Notre Dame has been whistled for 6 ... if you're into tracking such things.</p>&mdash; Ira Schoffel (@IraSchoffel) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraSchoffel/status/1221256114727268352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ND's 16 1st half FTAs are more than they've shot in the entirety of five of their past six games</p>&mdash; Basketball School (@MichaelRogner) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelRogner/status/1221251399536693248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AP story on ESPN.com

BREY'S CRITICISM

Brey was critical of some of the crew's calls, especially late in the game. He questioned a traveling call and a technical on the Notre Dame bench.

"We're treated by the officials like we haven't brought football as a full member, but yet we get a full share of the ACC Network TV," Brey said. "Are you kidding me? ... I'm frustrated, man. ... You got to be kidding me, man. We're in the league, too. C'mon."

Brey walked off the interview podium and continued to criticize the officials, specifically mentioning referee John Gaffney.
01-26-2020 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
Reading through the TN game thread, this was not one of those games where the officials were egregiously one sided. FSU earned those fouls, however there is one ND player in particular that was said to be getting away with a lot of hacks (not Mooney or Printiss)
01-26-2020 09:59 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
This feels like "we don't like it that Pitt and Clemson both get a bye week before playing our football team, so let's complain about basketball officiating".

Odd that it came after a game against Florida State, a team who's had some bad calls go against them in the past. If it had been Duke or UNC, OK - but FSU?
01-26-2020 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(01-26-2020 09:59 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Reading through the TN game thread, this was not one of those games where the officials were egregiously one sided. FSU earned those fouls, however there is one ND player in particular that was said to be getting away with a lot of hacks (not Mooney or Printiss)

100%. Both sides got screwed multiple times.

But his suggestion ND got the worst of it.......no
01-26-2020 11:44 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I am not real big on whining.

Keep quiet and win more games.
01-26-2020 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The ACC has a rich tradition of poor officiating. I think it is mostly incompetence in football, but I've seen some hoops games where I've felt Coach K had the refs intimidated into giving Duke leeway on most calls.
01-26-2020 12:52 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I didn’t watch the game so I won’t comment on the overall job by the refs. I will say this single miss is worthy of the entire crew being suspended a week. Late in the game ND was only given a 20 second shot clock off a defensive rebound and the crew didn’t correct it, leading to a poor rushed shot.

https://twitter.com/real_mattbryan/statu...78081?s=21
01-26-2020 01:46 PM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

As someone noted on Twitter, this is where the ND bench could have helped out their own team.
01-26-2020 02:20 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(01-26-2020 02:20 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  As someone noted on Twitter, this is where the ND bench could have helped out their own team.

Sure. They aren’t mutually exclusive. The Irish bench should have noticed and immediately demanded the refs review it.

Also correct, the refs should not ref any ACC games for a while. Inexcusable miss by them.
01-26-2020 03:31 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

MyBB RE: Coach Brey....John Swofford is on line 1
Brey/ND fined $20,000 by the league. Money will go to the Weaver-James-Corrigan Postgraduate Scholarship account.
01-27-2020 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(01-27-2020 09:47 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Brey/ND fined $20,000 by the league. Money will go to the Weaver-James-Corrigan Postgraduate Scholarship account.

I thought there was an automatic one game suspension for a coach criticizing the refs. Was that rule changed?
01-27-2020 10:58 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 10:58 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 09:47 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Brey/ND fined $20,000 by the league. Money will go to the Weaver-James-Corrigan Postgraduate Scholarship account.

I thought there was an automatic one game suspension for a coach criticizing the refs. Was that rule changed?

Here's all the ACC office said (or will say?) about this:

Quote:The Atlantic Coast Conference issued a public reprimand of Notre Dame’s head men’s basketball coach Mike Brey for violating the ACC Sportsmanship Policy following Notre Dame’s game against Florida State on January 25. In addition, the league announced that an institutional fine has been issued to Notre Dame ($20,000) as a result of the violation. The funds from the imposed institutional fine will be placed into the Weaver-James-Corrigan Postgraduate Scholarship account.

Brey’s postgame comments regarding officials were in direct violation of the ACC Sportsmanship Policy that states: “Public criticism of officials or public comments evaluating the officiating of particular contests is not in the best interest of intercollegiate athletics. Individuals associated with the athletics program are prohibited, therefore, from commenting while acting in an official capacity on officiating other than directly to the Conference office.”

The ACC considers this matter closed and will have no further comment.
01-27-2020 11:23 AM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

He should have saved his rant for when he plays Duke.
01-27-2020 12:56 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 12:56 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  He should have saved his rant for when he plays Duke.

Maybe this was meant to be a preemptive rant?
05-stirthepot
01-27-2020 01:00 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

Brey joked that he may have to have an extra 5 day camp to pay for the fine.
01-27-2020 01:33 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
He looked like a big baby there. Time to look for a new job?
01-27-2020 02:52 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

Typically crappily officiated ACC game. I don't think there should have been a foul on the last ND possession, that was just good defense. But considering for the first 35 minutes the refs were calling FSU defenders for breathing too close to a ND shooter, I don't blame ND fans for questioning it. Perfect example how garbage officiating, and over-officiating in general, has an overall negative effect on the game and the league. If they hadn't been over officious the whole game, nobody would accuse them of swallowing the whistle there.

And they also pulled my favorite, the patented ACC official "GOTCHA!" call with a brisk 4.5 second inbound violation. Whenever an ACC ref (in football and basketball) has a chance to make a game changing call to be part of the show, they can't help themselves. As soon as it got to about 3 seconds, I knew that call was coming because ACC refs live for that kind of call.
01-27-2020 05:37 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2020 02:52 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  He looked like a big baby there. Time to look for a new job?

I think it may be time, but not because of this. Who cares about this?

His recruiting efforts/results have been lousy since coming off back to back Elite 8 finishes a few years ago.
01-27-2020 06:22 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
That might be the real question. Do enough people care about ND bb? Maybe that's what he's asking.
01-27-2020 08:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.