Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pearl's Epic Shot 35 Years Ago
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Pearl's Epic Shot 35 Years Ago
I was there (at home on leave from the USAF). Unbelievable shot made better by him running off the court. Big East and college basketball was so good back in the 1980s.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2020 09:18 PM by TexanMark.)
01-24-2020 09:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Pearl's Epic Shot 35 Years Ago
(01-24-2020 09:14 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  I was there (at home on leave from the USAF). Unbelievable shot made better by him running off the court. Big East and college basketball was so good back in the 1980s.

A glorious time.
01-24-2020 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
The USA network used to broadcast basketball games? I remember they did a lot of boxing and wrasslin back then.
01-24-2020 10:25 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-24-2020 10:25 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The USA network used to broadcast basketball games? I remember they did a lot of boxing and wrasslin back then.

Yes, in the 1980s the USA Network had a significant hand in college hoops. Carried a lot of Big East games but also IIRC some B1G, ACC, and SEC games as well, including some conference tournament coverage.

IIRC, the games were broadcast on Saturdays and Tuesdays, a format I always liked, in comparison to today's world where every single day is blanketed with college hoops games on various channels.
01-25-2020 09:48 AM
ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
https://youtu.be/-bB1dvB1yEI

Another good one. Longest shot still recorded.
His foot marks are on the court to this day.
01-25-2020 10:03 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I seem to recall that I saw that shot on television and in real time. Pearl was big time.

I enjoyed the Big East in the 1980s but my favorite times were when Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul and Marquette joined and participated. Those four combined with UConn, St. John's, Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Notre Dame — 14 programs that would each rank in most Top 75 of all time men's college hoops lists. That will likely never be replicated.

I enjoy the current Big East but that model from the 2000s — given college basketball is my favorite college sport — was on a vastly differently level. It was the greatest collection of college programs ever assembled. And as a DePaul and Cincy fan ... I loved it.

thanks for sharing, TMark
01-25-2020 10:10 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
On TV, I saw James Harden make one from the opposing free throw line a couple years back, but it was a fraction of a second past the end of the quarter.
01-25-2020 10:23 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-25-2020 10:10 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I seem to recall that I saw that shot on television and in real time. Pearl was big time.

I enjoyed the Big East in the 1980s but my favorite times were when Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul and Marquette joined and participated.

I understand that, but to a fan of the original Big East schools there will never be anything like the 1980s when it was a very tight-knit group of eight and nine schools.

Still, I agree that the 2003 - 2012 "second golden age" when we did have those additional schools was epic as well. I also think it led to the demise of the conference: the ACC prides itself on hoops more than anything, and by the late 2000s the Big East had clearly surpassed the ACC as the top hoops conference.

2011 was particularly galling, when the Big East got 11 bids while the ACC just 4. I think that in addition to the grander plans to capture the Northeast Corridor, the ACC was also motivated to raid the Big East to end its dominance as a hoops conference and restore the ACC to the pinnacle.

Sadly, the ACC plan worked.
01-25-2020 10:28 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(01-25-2020 10:28 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-25-2020 10:10 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I seem to recall that I saw that shot on television and in real time. Pearl was big time.

I enjoyed the Big East in the 1980s but my favorite times were when Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul and Marquette joined and participated.

I understand that, but to a fan of the original Big East schools there will never be anything like the 1980s when it was a very tight-knit group of eight and nine schools.

Still, I agree that the 2003 - 2012 "second golden age" when we did have those additional schools was epic as well. I also think it led to the demise of the conference: the ACC prides itself on hoops more than anything, and by the late 2000s the Big East had clearly surpassed the ACC as the top hoops conference.

2011 was particularly galling, when the Big East got 11 bids while the ACC just 4. I think that in addition to the grander plans to capture the Northeast Corridor, the ACC was also motivated to raid the Big East to end its dominance as a hoops conference and restore the ACC to the pinnacle.

Sadly, the ACC plan worked.

I agree on all counts. I was not a fan at the time of any one school that was a Big East member in the 1980s, so it's hard for me to understand that "tight-knit" component that you accurately and appropriately note. I've grown to like Georgetown (for a significant family reason I've previously noted on this board) only since the current Big East lineup was created. And DePaul (one of my all-time faves) was not in the league in the 1980s (obviously).

The ACC gutted the Big East, which makes the fact that the current Big East has reinvented itself in such an impressive manner all the more noteworthy.
01-25-2020 10:36 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Scenes like this made the Big East.

Georgetown was baddest team in America. You either loved them or hated them back then.

Cuse had the huge Dome and created a Final Four environment every big game they hosted.

St. John's had great teams and played in MSG. Louie was a trip and Chris Mullins could ball

Nova was so scrappy with Rollie and had that magical Natty.

Pitt had Jerome Lane

Even teams like Providence and Seton Hall made Final Four runs.

Big Monday had kids across the nation watching the spectacular scene every week.

A young ESPN Network gave the visuals and the Big East was off and running. 1985 Final Four cemented their aura and the gang of coaches became HoF'ers.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2020 11:50 AM by TexanMark.)
01-25-2020 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bill dazzle Offline

(01-25-2020 11:48 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Scenes like this made the Big East.

Georgetown was baddest team in America. You either loved them or hated them back then.

Cuse had the huge Dome and created a Final Four environment every big game they hosted.

St. John's had great teams and played in MSG. Louie was a trip and Chris Mullins could ball

Pitt had Jerome Lane

Big Monday had kids across the nation watching the spectacular scene every week.

A young ESPN Network gave the visuals and the Big East was off and running. 1985 Final Four cemented their aura and the gang of coaches became HoF'ers.

Not to disagree because I do agree with most of this. A glorious time for the BE.

But let's not overlook the Atlantic Coast Conference in the 1980s...

* State beating Houston with Jimmy V running wild

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

* the dramatic Len Bias death after his being drafted by the Celtics

* and of course (IMO) the truly most hated program of any league in any decade ... Duke in the 1980s.

Of note, the BE had six different programs make the Final Four in the 1980s and the ACC had five.
01-25-2020 12:10 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-25-2020 12:10 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Pitt had Jerome Lane

Not to disagree because I do agree with most of this. A glorious time for the BE.

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

* and of course (IMO) the truly most hated program of any league in any decade ... Duke in the 1980s.

Of note, the BE had six different programs make the Final Four in the 1980s and the ACC had five.

80s most hated was Georgetown. Duke was more the 90s.

I hate what the Big East did to college basketball. It was a beautiful game and they turned it into a wrasslin' match or a mugging. Their form of referring took over the NCAA tourney. Think it was 1984 and they did mug Dayton in a game (Georgetown won title whatever year that was). Unreal what they were allowed to get away with. It was an advantage for the Big East because they didn't call fouls in the league, so come tourney time, they were ready.

Took the shot clock and 3 point line to save college basketball from what the 80s Big East did to it.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2020 06:11 PM by bullet.)
01-25-2020 06:10 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(01-25-2020 06:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Pitt had Jerome Lane

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

I hate what the Big East did to college basketball. It was a beautiful game and they turned it into a wrasslin' match or a mugging. Their form of referring took over the NCAA tourney. Think it was 1984 and they did mug Dayton in a game (Georgetown won title whatever year that was). Unreal what they were allowed to get away with. It was an advantage for the Big East because they didn't call fouls in the league, so come tourney time, they were ready.

Took the shot clock and 3 point line to save college basketball from what the 80s Big East did to it.

You are 100 percent correct on the ACC regarding Duke, which in the 1990s was hated much more so than in the 1980s and more so than any other program, period. My fumble. Good catch, Bullet.

I fully agree with you on the shot clock but would respectfully counter on the 3-point shot. In some respects, that has hurt the college game (more so the modest distance as opposed to the 3-point shot itself).
01-25-2020 09:17 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Coincidentally, 32 years ago today was also the famous, “Send it in, Jerome!” game! College basketball was definitely WAAAAY better back then and the Big East - and I’m sure the ACC too - was unreal every single night.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2020 10:15 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
01-25-2020 10:15 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(01-25-2020 10:15 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Coincidentally, 32 years ago today was also the famous, “Send it in, Jerome!” game! College basketball was definitely WAAAAY better back then and the Big East - and I’m sure the ACC too - was unreal every single night.

More special than the J-Lane slam (strong but, and let's be honest, the rims and backboards were very cheap back then compared to how they are made today) is the Bill Raftery commentary. I love that man. He has made college hoops special over time.
01-25-2020 10:22 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-25-2020 06:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Pitt had Jerome Lane

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

03-lmfao

Georgetown beat Dayton easily and Dayton committed more fouls. No need for Georgetown to mug them at all.
01-26-2020 12:40 AM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
(01-25-2020 10:03 AM)ThunderDent Wrote:  https://youtu.be/-bB1dvB1yEI

Another good one. Longest shot still recorded.
His foot marks are on the court to this day.

My boss was at this game. He was with his pregnant wife. After the shot someone spilled their beer or soda all over her. For some reason I thought it was at the end of the game.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 07:32 AM by Garrettabc.)
01-26-2020 07:30 AM
Heisman

Pitt had Jerome Lane

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

I think the “Jordan shot” to win the 1982 national championship is highly overrated.

It became a much bigger deal after Michael Jordan became AIR JORDAN. However, at the time, nobody was talking about that shot as the key play in that game.

I know that sounds absurd on its face because Jordan’s basket provided the winning points in the national championship game. Also, it was a beautiful jump shot in a big moment — the type of thing for which he would later become so famous. However, that is not what decided that game.

Fred Brown’s throwing the ball away to James Worthy, who was badly beaten on a back door cut that almost certainly would have won the game for Georgetown, was CLEARLY the play that decided that basketball game and that is what everyone talked about the next morning. They were talking about not Jordan’s relatively pedestrian jumper from the wing with 15 seconds left in the game.

Interestingly, Georgetown had roughly the same colors as North Carolina at the time and John Thompson said that Brown’s mistake happened because he was confused by the colors. In reality, Brown just choked. However, that is why Georgetown switched to the navy blue and gray uniforms for which they would become so famous in the 1980s.

It was an incredible game full of future NBA Hall of Famer‘s. However, Jordan’s jump shot only became seen as the key moment in that game many years after the fact.

Mind you, it’s all good. It was one of my favorite college basketball games of all time and it was the height of the greatness of college basketball – the 1980s. However, I just hate revisionist history and that is a blatant historical revisionism often perpetrated by people who profit from it (Nike, CBS, ACC, UNC, etc.). And, of course Georgetown would rather have that narrative as well because otherwise the focus would be on how they quite literally threw away a national championship.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 11:34 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
01-26-2020 11:29 AM
Heisman

When I think of the 1980s, what I most marvel at was the Big East getting three of its nine teams teams in the 1985 Final Four. That is completely absurd. No one else had done it before or since. There have been several times where conferences have gotten two teams in the Final Four, to but to get three teams in is just plain ridiculous.

Also, as I recall, Boston College lost a close game to Memphis State - the only non Big East team in that Final Four - or they may have had ALL FOUR spots in the 1985 Final Four.

My memory is not what it used to be, but it used to be ridiculous. Still, I want to say that BC was winding down the clock and mishandled the ball. I think the guy dribbled the ball off his foot or something like that. That miscue allowed Memphis to sprint down the floor and make a jump shot at the buzzer.

It was tremendous theater. I remember that game pretty well because I watched it at my neighbor’s house. His dad was a huge sports fan and a proud BC alum. I just remember him turning as white as a ghost when it happened and my father hustling me out of there.

I don’t think I saw him for six months afterwards! LOL! Sports will definitely do that to you!
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 11:53 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
01-26-2020 11:48 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(01-26-2020 11:29 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Pitt had Jerome Lane

* Jordan's shot

* Ralph Sampson

I think the “Jordan shot” to win the 1982 national championship is highly overrated.

It became a much bigger deal after Michael Jordan became AIR JORDAN. However, at the time, nobody was talking about that shot as the key play in that game.

I know that sounds absurd on its face because Jordan’s basket provided the winning points in the national championship game. Also, it was a beautiful jump shot in a big moment — the type of thing for which he would later become so famous. However, that is not what decided that game.

Fred Brown’s throwing the ball away to James Worthy, who was badly beaten on a back door cut that almost certainly would have won the game for Georgetown, was CLEARLY the play that decided that basketball game and that is what everyone talked about the next morning. They were talking about not Jordan’s relatively pedestrian jumper from the wing with 15 seconds left in the game.

Interestingly, Georgetown had roughly the same colors as North Carolina at the time and John Thompson said that Brown’s mistake happened because he was confused by the colors. In reality, Brown just choked. However, that is why Georgetown switched to the navy blue and gray uniforms for which they would become so famous in the 1980s.

It was an incredible game full of future NBA Hall of Famer‘s. However, Jordan’s jump shot only became seen as the key moment in that game many years after the fact.

Mind you, it’s all good. It was one of my favorite college basketball games of all time and it was the height of the greatness of college basketball – the 1980s. However, I just hate revisionist history and that is a blatant historical revisionism often perpetrated by people who profit from it (Nike, CBS, ACC, UNC, etc.). And, of course Georgetown would rather have that narrative as well because otherwise the focus would be on how they quite literally threw away a national championship.

Excellent points overall, Dr. von Y.

However, I don't necessarily agree that had Brown not committed the turnover, Georgetown likely would have won the game. Any number of scenarios (a missed shot, a blocked shot, a subsequent turnover) could have hypothetically unfolded that would have resulted in UNC winning regardless. We'll never know.

No, doubt, however, that college hoops in the 1980s ... incredible.
01-26-2020 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.