Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gene Schwinger. 1932-2020
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Gene Schwinger. 1932-2020
Perusing the Chronicle obits, noticed that Gene died at age 87 last Thursday. Memorial service the afternoon of the 26th at St. Martins. Detailed Chron/Geo H Lewis obit pending.

One of our five or six all time great basketball men, an uber-loyal Owl, a fine banking trust officer, and just one hell of an all-around nice guy.

Old-timers, feel free to add your Schwinger stories.....
01-22-2020 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Gene Schwinger. 1932-2020
Great man, great basketball player (so I've been told, his playing career predated my Rice time a bit), and a great Owl. The world is poorer for losing him, but heaven is richer.
01-22-2020 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: Gene Schwinger. 1932-2020
Seen his name atop many a Rice Men's Basketball Career list. Shame he never saw another Rice men's team make the NCAAs after 1970. A good man who will be missed.
01-23-2020 09:35 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

A good man, a good owl, a good friend who will be missed
01-23-2020 10:21 AM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

It was sometimes in the summer in the mid-80s when Ramsay Elder and I were wandering around the Graben in Vienna looking for a good place to get a tall glass of beer. Speaking of tall, way, way across the square we noticed a man who who stood literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the crowd. Ramsay said something like, “Look at that guy way over there, he’s awfully tall for an Austrian.” I squinted in the general direction, and said, “Austrian, hell, that’s Gene Schwinger!” “Nah, can’t be, must be a look-alike,” Ramsay said. So we wended our through the teaming crowd til we got within shouting distance. “Gene, is that you, Gene?” “ Of course it was, and after a few more minutes of maneuvering through the pedestrian mall, we were standing together, the four of us, Gene’s wife Anne included, and minutes later, we were at the Goesser Brau Keller, having that tall glass of brew. Very nice memory. That happened about 25 years ago. Seems like yesterday.
01-23-2020 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-23-2020 07:48 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  It was sometimes in the summer in the mid-80s when Ramsay Elder and I were wandering around the Graben in Vienna looking for a good place to get a tall glass of beer. Speaking of tall, way, way across the square we noticed a man who who stood literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the crowd. Ramsay said something like, “Look at that guy way over there, he’s awfully tall for an Austrian.” I squinted in the general direction, and said, “Austrian, hell, that’s Gene Schwinger!” “Nah, can’t be, must be a look-alike,” Ramsay said. So we wended our through the teaming crowd til we got within shouting distance. “Gene, is that you, Gene?” “ Of course it was, and after a few more minutes of maneuvering through the pedestrian mall, we were standing together, the four of us, Gene’s wife Anne included, and minutes later, we were at the Goesser Brau Keller, having that tall glass of brew. Very nice memory. That happened about 25 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Great story, but mid-80s was more like 35 years ago. We are getting old, dude.
01-23-2020 09:49 PM
Barney Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice Owls
(01-23-2020 07:48 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  It was sometimes in the summer in the mid-80s when Ramsay Elder and I were wandering around the Graben in Vienna looking for a good place to get a tall glass of beer. Speaking of tall, way, way across the square we noticed a man who who stood literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the crowd. Ramsay said something like, “Look at that guy way over there, he’s awfully tall for an Austrian.” I squinted in the general direction, and said, “Austrian, hell, that’s Gene Schwinger!” “Nah, can’t be, must be a look-alike,” Ramsay said. So we wended our through the teaming crowd til we got within shouting distance. “Gene, is that you, Gene?” “ Of course it was, and after a few more minutes of maneuvering through the pedestrian mall, we were standing together, the four of us, Gene’s wife Anne included, and minutes later, we were at the Goesser Brau Keller, having that tall glass of brew. Very nice memory. That happened about 25 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

04-cheers I've read his name many times, but was before my time. Great story.
01-24-2020 09:11 PM
Advertisement

owlman70 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice Owls

Football GeniusNew Orleans Bowl
RIP Gene ...
One of the alltime great Owls, and a nicer guy you could not find.
01-24-2020 09:16 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

(01-23-2020 09:49 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Great story, but mid-80s was more like 35 years ago. We are getting old, dude.

Bad math on my part. It had to have been the mid 90s, because it was a couple of years after the Czech Velvet Revolution of 89 to 92.

The lapse proves your point!
01-25-2020 01:25 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
They did a moment of silence for Gene last night prior to tip off. I believe some of his family was there, so it was a nice gesture.
01-26-2020 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.