Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Grad transfer is it a con?
Bookmark and Share
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Grad transfer is it a con?
Anyone know the stats on what % get a masters?

I heard commentator say Joe Burrow only was doing online courses. I also heard Joe say could take the money from OBJ at Champ game because he was done as an LSU student.

I guess it does encourage education as the transfers do need a BA/BS degree.

01-22-2020 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

coachpipe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
RE: Grad transfer is it a con?
(01-22-2020 08:57 AM)doss2 Wrote:  Anyone know the stats on what % get a masters?

I heard commentator say Joe Burrow only was doing online courses. I also heard Joe say could take the money from OBJ at Champ game because he was done as an LSU student.

I guess it does encourage education as the transfers do need a BA/BS degree.

I dont really know Burrows situation, but could he have said that in the sense that since the game is over...Hes done with school.

Thats what happened with Lance if I remember correctly. After the NIT game they drove to New York and he said **** school and never came back.

Nick Ward for Michigan State did it last year via text to a classmate. The classmate asked if he was coming to class for their project and he said, no im done with school

01-22-2020 09:06 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I’m not sure those stats will ever be released if they are even kept. Also not sure they even factor into team APR. Anyone who thought Joe Burrow was there to get a masters degree...I have a bridge to sell.

Make no mistake, only reason that legislation got adopted is the P5 schools get the better end of the deal and can cherry pick as needed. Same with the push for immediate eligibility with waivers. Eventually it will be a free agent system where most conferences are like a minor league with key players waiting for a call up.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 09:07 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-22-2020 09:07 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-22-2020 09:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m not sure those stats will ever be released if they are even kept. Also not sure they even factor into team APR. Anyone who thought Joe Burrow was there to get a masters degree...I have a bridge to sell.

Make no mistake, only reason that legislation got adopted is the P5 schools get the better end of the deal and can cherry pick as needed. Same with the push for immediate eligibility with waivers. Eventually it will be a free agent system where most conferences are like a minor league with key players waiting for a call up.

I originally thought that too, but it seems to be going the other way. Players seem to be dropping down.

01-22-2020 09:12 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I think more get their graduate degree than we think. For every Joe Burrow, there is a guy like UC's Kyle Trout who went on to get his Master's at his new school. In fact, I am willing to bet there are more Kyle's than Joe's.

01-22-2020 09:26 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(01-22-2020 09:12 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 09:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m not sure those stats will ever be released if they are even kept. Also not sure they even factor into team APR. Anyone who thought Joe Burrow was there to get a masters degree...I have a bridge to sell.

I originally thought that too, but it seems to be going the other way. Players seem to be dropping down.

When they drop down it’s just another way to open a scholarship for another 4 or 5 star for many of them.

Temple losing a guy like Quincy Roche to a Miami Florida program is what this system is really about.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 09:41 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-22-2020 09:40 AM
Advertisement

dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(01-22-2020 09:26 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I think more get their graduate degree than we think. For every Joe Burrow, there is a guy like UC's Kyle Trout who went on to get his Master's at his new school. In fact, I am willing to bet there are more Kyle's than Joe's.

I'm with you on this.

Definitely not saying Joe Burrow got his masters because he was strictly in online classes but there are more and more online classes/programs added every year. Anyone who's been through college recently knows how many classes are offered online - I got my bachelors in '14 and if I wanted I could have done probably 10 of 15 semesterly credit hours online. Masters programs are even more so online oriented now because you're working with a lot of people who work full time.. so just because an athlete says they never go to physical class, doesn't mean they aren't going to or focusing on school.

I'm not privy to the timing/duration of athletic scholarships but if his athletic scholarship only runs through fall classes, could he'd accept cash at any point after fall exams? I'm curious how athletic scholarships work for masters students.. do they cover your spring semester even though you're no longer an athlete?

01-22-2020 09:55 AM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

(01-22-2020 09:40 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

When they drop down it’s just another way to open a scholarship for another 4 or 5 star for many of them.

Temple losing a guy like Quincy Roche to a Miami Florida program is what this system is really about.

Its going to be a real shame when Temple beats them the first game of the year

01-22-2020 09:59 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(01-22-2020 09:59 AM)coachpipe Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 09:40 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Its going to be a real shame when Temple beats them the first game of the year

LoL. Didn't the current Miami Head Coach serve as the Temple head coach for a weekend? Or am I remembering that incorrectly.

Responding to Rath: Another thing I didn't account for, that some others have brought up, all of the top 4/5 stars all gather in a few places then transfer out if they aren't starting. That helps the big boys too. They get to try out the best and pick through them.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 10:09 AM by Z-Fly.)
01-22-2020 10:05 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
I believe Deguara got his masters, right? And he wasn't even a transfer. At UC, and I'm sure many other schools, they put the student atheletes on a 3-year plan to graduate. That gives them the option of grad transferring or completing a masters before the 5-years of eligibility are completed. Obviously not everyone is capable of doing that, but the resources are there if the player works their butt off.

01-22-2020 10:23 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

Another thing I'd be curious about-- UC now has a 1-year MEng degree which is like a technical, non-research based Master's for Engineering students that is typically completed within a year. Wonder if that will factor into any prospective transfers...

01-22-2020 10:25 AM
Advertisement

fnz Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati/NKU
I was watching Davidson play the other night, and the commentator said Davidson doesn't even have a Master's program, so they can't even get grad transfers.

So it sounds like at least some school take it seriously.

01-22-2020 11:09 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

Basically need to eliminate grad transfer and give everyone one free transfer without sitting out.

01-22-2020 11:19 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2020 10:25 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Another thing I'd be curious about-- UC now has a 1-year MEng degree which is like a technical, non-research based Master's for Engineering students that is typically completed within a year. Wonder if that will factor into any prospective transfers...

I think it has been since Roger McClendon since a UC basketball or football player studied any type of engineering.

01-22-2020 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2020 11:19 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Basically need to eliminate grad transfer and give everyone one free transfer without sitting out.

I would be in favor of this. I think one transfer without penalty is pretty fair.

01-22-2020 11:28 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2020 11:26 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 10:25 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Another thing I'd be curious about-- UC now has a 1-year MEng degree which is like a technical, non-research based Master's for Engineering students that is typically completed within a year. Wonder if that will factor into any prospective transfers...

I think it has been since Roger McClendon since a UC basketball or football player studied any type of engineering.

Alec Pierce and Lorenz Metz are both engineering majors.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 11:54 AM by Cataclysmo.)
01-22-2020 11:51 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(01-22-2020 11:51 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Drew Frey was in a ton of my classes, and I presume he didn't just wander into Baldwin or Rhodes for fun.

01-22-2020 12:27 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2020 12:27 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 11:51 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Great to hear. They used to list majors during pregame introductions, and I have not heard engineering mentioned in a long time.
Drew Frey was in a ton of my classes, and I presume he didn't just wander into Baldwin or Rhodes for fun.

01-22-2020 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
I remember Roger McClendon being in engine school. Really bright kid. I seem to remember his parents being academics.

Also glad to hear about Pierce and Metz.

At one time I seem to remember the NCAA did not like UC Bus Ad and Engine school players being in the Co-op programs.

01-22-2020 02:01 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

You can imagine the football program doesn't necessarily like it either. Lot of kids leave town for Co-Ops. That's typically not an option for athletes. Then you have to find a job/manager/adviser that is comfortable with you working an unusual schedule (Football practices during the work day). Not a whole lot of options left after that.

01-22-2020 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.