Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Penny, one thing you haven't gotten right ...
Bookmark and Share
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB Penny, one thing you haven't gotten right ...
T U R N O V E R S ...

turnovers want all the smoke from us.

we are so extremely bad at protecting the bad, its 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 08:34 PM by mempho_to_diego.)
01-16-2020 08:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
RE: Penny, one thing you haven't gotten right ...
(01-16-2020 08:33 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  T U R N O V E R S ...

we are so extremely ball at protecting the bad, its 03-banghead

fyp

04-rock
01-16-2020 09:09 PM
UMTiger117 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The TIGERS!
It was just hard to see that...Without our D, we loose big because of the TOs. we are playing one of the best defense that I've ever seen us play; contesting every position, every drive, remind me of Nolan's 40 min. of hell at Arky.
01-16-2020 09:21 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(01-16-2020 08:33 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  T U R N O V E R S ...

we are so extremely bad at protecting the bad, its 03-banghead

03-lmfao
01-16-2020 09:25 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Yep, there are 2 plays Penny runs way to often. To be fair, Josh and Tubby also ran the "run the clock down to zero without making anything happen." But the "throw the ball out of bounds" play doesn't do much for us.
01-16-2020 09:27 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

When you play fast, you turn the ball over more. When you play freshmen, you turn the ball over more. I think with a 14-3 record, we can live with being called out on turnovers.
01-16-2020 09:27 PM
Advertisement

ATLMemphfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MEMPHIS HOOPS!!
Sometimes it's ok to slow the pace and be deliberate.
01-16-2020 09:30 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-16-2020 09:30 PM)ATLMemphfan Wrote:  Sometimes it's ok to slow the pace and be deliberate.

You can play fast and smart...Kids want to run like they are playing pickup ball and make flashy passes.

They need to start enjoying points more than highlights.

But as others have said they are freshman...But unfortunately too of the biggest offenders are sophomores.
01-16-2020 09:38 PM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

I Root For: short skirts
(01-16-2020 09:27 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  When you play fast, you turn the ball over more. When you play freshmen, you turn the ball over more. I think with a 14-3 record, we can live with being called out on turnovers.

After 16 games there is no excuse for turning the ball over this much. We are always looking for the homerun pass. We play dumb.

When someone makes an idiotic, unforced turnover (like we do at least 10 times per game) that guy should be immediately benched, like any normal coach would do and coach him from the bench to correct it.

We're supposed to be this run and gun pressing team and we force 17 TO's per game. Only problem is we turn it over 17 times per game ourselves. It's fine to play fast to turn the other team over. In reality we play too fast for OUR guys to handle it.

We can be an elite team if this gets corrected. I hope it happens.
01-16-2020 09:47 PM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-16-2020 09:47 PM)chrisd11 Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 09:27 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  When you play fast, you turn the ball over more. When you play freshmen, you turn the ball over more. I think with a 14-3 record, we can live with being called out on turnovers.

After 16 games there is no excuse for turning the ball over this much. We are always looking for the homerun pass. We play dumb.

When someone makes an idiotic, unforced turnover (like we do at least 10 times per game) that guy should be immediately benched, like any normal coach would do and coach him from the bench to correct it.

We're supposed to be this run and gun pressing team and we force 17 TO's per game. Only problem is we turn it over 17 times per game ourselves. It's fine to play fast to turn the other team over. In reality we play too fast for OUR guys to handle it.

This dumb, turnover prone young team had a great win tonite!!
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 09:55 PM by uskjtc02.)
01-16-2020 09:54 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

If we ever get to a point where we get more shots from the field than our opponents we will be dangerous.

Between offensive rebounds and Turnovers we struggle to get shot attempts
01-16-2020 09:57 PM
Advertisement

chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

(01-16-2020 09:54 PM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 09:47 PM)chrisd11 Wrote:  

This dumb, turnover prone young team had a great win tonite!!

It was a good home win against a 10-6 team. It doesn't move the needle much.

I'm talking about being elite... NCAA tourney runs.
01-16-2020 10:02 PM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

(01-16-2020 10:01 PM)ItsDude Wrote:  

I get so sick of hearing that when you play fast, you turn the ball over more...maybe a little but what this team is doing right now is head scratching. They posted it tonight, we are 343rd in the country in turnover average per game!!! 343!! That's ridiculous!

What's worse is when you look at the turnovers, it's not usually because we are playing fast...it's just careless ridiculous passes and a majority of them are unforced. Those guys need to be challenged more on this by the coaching staff....take them out?, let them play longer if they don't turn it over?, chew their a$$ out!?....something!!....this should be a fixable thing!

When is the last time you've seen Penny get in a guy's azz from the bench?

You haven't because it doesn't happen.
01-16-2020 10:04 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
That’s not Penny’s style. But I did watch Pearl go drama queen and his team got worse. Gimme P style any day. lol

Anyway back to turnovers. The root cause of our turnovers is the talent level not being even enough to play at that pace. Most of them could handle the speed.

Penny is not going to change the speed of play to accommodate that unevenness. The speed of our play causes opponents to be eternally off balance and out of sync— like we saw today.

lol That’s my 6 sense errr cents.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 10:12 PM by snowtiger.)
01-16-2020 10:04 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Nah...

Chris didn't say it politically correct but we don't play smart.

If we get a lead then it is really showtime then, that is normally why teams creep back (and some insane lineup combos)...These guys need to grow up some and be about the business of winning.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 10:08 PM by macgar32.)
01-16-2020 10:07 PM
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

Definitely think Penny wants to be liked more than he should. It seems that there is a lack of discipline from Penny and Co in practices. Yes, they are freshman. But the degree of stupid, unforced turnovers is unacceptable. Guys need to know there is negative consequences for careless play, and I just don’t think that happens too often.

I could be completely wrong, and Penny could really be holding them accountable to an acceptable degree in practice and games, but it sure doesn’t seem like it.
01-16-2020 10:08 PM
Advertisement

chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

(01-16-2020 10:07 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Nah...

Chris didn't say it politically correct but we don't play smart.

If we get a lead then it is really showtime then, that is normally why teams creep back (and some insane lineup combos)...These guys need to grow up some and be about the business of winning.

I would like to see our team/talent maximized.

Penny has them playing GREAT defense and the effort is there. I give him full credit for that. We only scored 60 points against Cincinnati and won by double digits.

But, IMO, he could do a lot better in getting the most out of them offensively. The lineups and the dumb turnovers are all on him.

Maurice and Lance Thomas should only play until Precious and Dandrige catch their breath and taken back out immediately. Jayden should only play in a blowout or if someone gets injured. Boogie should play limited minutes unless he starts making shots because he doesn't really affect the game in any other way.

Just my opinion.
01-16-2020 10:17 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Penny was so good and could play fast with fewer turnovers even against NBA competition

He wants these freshmen to play that way and they are very young so turn it over a few more times than we or he would like

And we are 14-3
01-16-2020 10:25 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2020 09:27 PM)cmt Wrote:  Yep, there are 2 plays Penny runs way to often. To be fair, Josh and Tubby also ran the "run the clock down to zero without making anything happen." But the "throw the ball out of bounds" play doesn't do much for us.

I’m at a loss of words on the throwing the ball out of bounds thing. Jevon Carter said Bob Huggins used to crank a treadmill up as fast as it would go and make them run for stuff like this.

Just pure carelessness. Easily could have won by 20 (or squandered the game) due to boneheaded passes.
01-16-2020 10:54 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
You can't turn it over like that in the tournament unless you can shoot 50%+.
We need boogie to find his stroke in a bad way.
01-16-2020 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.