Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Pelosi Names Impeachment Managers To Present Case To Senate
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Pelosi Names Impeachment Managers To Present Case To Senate
Isn’t Schiff presenting under oath? Then question him.

Quote:House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday announced the seven lawmakers who will serve as impeachment managers to prosecute the case against President Trump in his imminent Senate trial.

“This is about the Constitution of the United States,” Pelosi said, as she presented the Democrats' legal team and noted that she put an emphasis on "litigators" in assembling them.

The managers include House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., who will be the lead manager and who directed much of the impeachment inquiry out of his committee, and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., whose panel drafted the articles of impeachment.

Pelosi also tapped House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y.; Rep. Jason Crow, D-Colo.; Val Demings, D-Fla.; Sylvia Garcia, D-Texas; and Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif.

Many of the managers were chosen because of their backgrounds: Lofgren has been involved in three presidential impeachment proceedings: as a Judiciary Committee staffer during former President Richard Nixon's and a committee member during former President Bill Clinton's impeachment, and now as a manager.

During Clinton’s impeachment in 1999, there were 13 House impeachment managers. Pelosi chose seven for Trump's trial.

Announcing the managers, Pelosi argued the charges against the president will be a stain on his legacy, dramatically referring to an "impeachment that will last forever." She said the House on Wednesday will pass a resolution to appropriate funds for the trial, and transmit the articles -- abuse of power and obstruction of Congress -- to the Senate.

"This is a very serious matter and we take it to heart in a really solemn way," Pelosi said. "It's about the Constitution, it's about the republic if we can keep it and [senators] shouldn’t be frivolous with the Constitution of the United States even though the president of the United States has."

She added: "The president is not above the law. He will be held accountable. He already has been held accountable. He has been impeached and you can never erase that."

Trump hit back in a tweet after the announcement: “Here we go again, another Con Job by the Do Nothing Democrats. All of this work was supposed to be done by the House, not the Senate!”

Pelosi defended her decision to delay sending the articles to the upper chamber for an entire month -- despite taunts from Republicans that it accomplished nothing -- saying that "time has been our friend in all of this because it has yielded incriminating evidence."

Pelosi, in holding back the impeachment articles for weeks, had sought to pressure Republicans to commit to allowing new testimony and documents. Some Republicans are open to this, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., wants to decide such matters after the process has started.

At the heart of the case is Trump's effort to convince Ukraine to launch investigations of Democrats, while his administration withheld military aid. Trump denies wrongdoing, while Democrats allege he abused the power of his office.

Meanwhile, a White House official told Fox News on Tuesday that the president’s legal defense team in the looming impeachment trial would be led by White House Counsel Pat Cipollone. The official said that Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow would also serve on the president’s defense, as well as Cipollone deputies Michael Purpura and Patrick Philbin.

The official told Fox News that other attorneys could cycle through or be on the floor in a support capacity, but that those details and types of decisions will be made by the president if and when he deems necessary.

After several days of procedural steps later this week, the Senate is poised to launch into the heart of the impeachment trial as early as next Tuesday. McConnell on Tuesday shot down the idea being floated by the president earlier this week of bypassing a trial and dismissing the articles altogether. GOP senators argue they'd rather pursue acquittal.

Link

A very unbiased group I’m sure! Pelosi's corrupt managers are going to try and take over the Senate proceedings. McConnell better not let that happen.
01-15-2020 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
RE: Pelosi Names Impeachment Managers To Present Case To Senate
This whole thing is Political theater 101.....

Deflect and defend..... accuse and debate..... Hyperbole up the whazzoo, fake outrage, grandstanding, lots and lots of monologueing..... and oh yes... money... lots and lots of money wasted.

Most importantly it is a circus of elected officials appearing as though they are actually doing something. Incredulous.....
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020 04:10 PM by Eldonabe.)
01-15-2020 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
As my life coach stinkfist would say:

The fonzies are just starting.
01-15-2020 04:13 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-15-2020 04:09 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  This whole thing is Political theater 101.....

Deflect and defend..... accuse and debate..... Hyperbole up the whazzoo, fake outrage, grandstanding, lots and lots of monologueing..... and oh yes... money... lots and lots of money wasted.

Most importantly it is a circus of elected officials appearing as though they are actually doing something. Incredulous.....

Yes, pure politial theater. The D's have learned that if they say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again their base will believe it no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's all hearsay with no actual factual evidence. They know their base doesn't need that to follow them. All in all, I'm just glad this charade is now FINALLY heading to the Senate where we can be done with it once and for all.
01-15-2020 04:15 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-15-2020 04:15 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 04:09 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  This whole thing is Political theater 101.....

Yes, pure politial theater. The D's have learned that if they say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again their base will believe it no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's all hearsay with no actual factual evidence. They know their base doesn't need that to follow them. All in all, I'm just glad this charade is now FINALLY heading to the Senate where we can be done with it once and for all.
Here's what will happen..

The Managers will grandstand.. The Senate will ask for proof... Ask to call the WB to testify.. More grandstanding.. The Senate will dismiss.
01-15-2020 04:17 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Dog and pony show

They've gotta act like this is their "doing something" cause they haven't done much of anything else.
Renaming Post Offices and sending a bunch of garbage legislation over to a Senate they know are DOA really doesn't count.

Funny, the only thing they've accomplished and can claim as "getting done" is stuff the guy they're trying to remove started, designed, developed, negotiated and got done.

Any of the do-nothings that get reelected need to send Trump a box of KFC, some diet cokes and a kiss.
01-15-2020 04:20 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
[Image: get?url=http%3A%2F%2Face.mu.nu%2Farchive...;amp;h=687]
01-15-2020 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-15-2020 04:17 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

The Managers will grandstand.. The Senate will ask for proof... Ask to call the WB to testify.. More grandstanding.. The Senate will dismiss.

Unsure there can be grandstanding at an impeachment trial, but with the current collection of yahoos, who knows.
01-15-2020 05:04 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-15-2020 05:04 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

Unsure there can be grandstanding at an impeachment trial, but with the current collection of yahoos, who knows.
I'm willing to bet there'll be some.. Look at the "managers".. Two of them led inquiries so you know they'll grandstand to make the case for impeachment because otherwise others might've been picked. I dunno. I was too young when Clinton was impeached to understand fully what was going on and who the managers were for the hearing.
01-15-2020 05:11 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

(01-15-2020 05:11 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

I'm willing to bet there'll be some.. Look at the "managers".. Two of them led inquiries so you know they'll grandstand to make the case for impeachment because otherwise others might've been picked. I dunno. I was too young when Clinton was impeached to understand fully what was going on and who the managers were for the hearing.

Lindsey Graham was one.
01-15-2020 05:12 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-15-2020 05:12 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 04:15 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Yes, pure politial theater. The D's have learned that if they say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again their base will believe it no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's all hearsay with no actual factual evidence. They know their base doesn't need that to follow them. All in all, I'm just glad this charade is now FINALLY heading to the Senate where we can be done with it once and for all.

Lindsey Graham was one.
But was he the head of one of the committees?
01-15-2020 05:13 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-15-2020 04:13 PM)gdunn Wrote:  As my life coach stinkfist would say:

You mean Pelosi and Schiff are going to continue to jump the shark???
01-15-2020 05:48 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

(01-15-2020 05:13 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 05:12 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 04:17 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Here's what will happen..

Lindsey Graham was one.
But was he the head of one of the committees?

I can't remember, I know he ran against Newt for Speaker once.
01-15-2020 05:52 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Graham was not Chair of any House committees in 1998. Judiciary Chairman was Henry Hyde of Illinois.
01-15-2020 06:46 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
McConnell better not screw this up. I don't even know if he has the stomach to silence Bobblehead and the pregnant lady Nadless.

Bobblehead better watch himself or else he might get hammered for Contempt of Court for speaking out of line. If there's such a thing in this type of trial.
01-15-2020 07:36 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(01-15-2020 04:13 PM)gdunn Wrote:  As my life coach stinkfist would say:

03-lmfao +3
01-15-2020 08:23 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

I can't wait to hear that gavel pound exactly as their time runs out, hear their points of order dismissed and their requests to enter BS into the record denied.
01-15-2020 08:26 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Keep in mind that this trial is essentially like any trial. The Chief Justice is the judge, the impeachment managers are like prosecutors, presenting evidence, and they you will have the Trump defense team. The senators are just jurors.

Senators can not speak during the process. They can ask questions, but only indirectly through the judge. They have to submit those questions in writing to the judge.
01-15-2020 08:37 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I think the manager criteria was you had to be one of the biggest dooshbags in Congress.
01-15-2020 08:48 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard

Boy, do you have a shock coming....
01-15-2020 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.