Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which could improve enough to become AAC quality? (can vote for more than 1)
Marshall
Another C-USA team (specify)
Appalachian State
Another Sun Belt team (specify)
Buffalo
Another MAC team (specify)
UMass
Army (if persuadable)
Army (but they're not persuadable)
Another Independent (specify)
[Show Results]

If MWC schools stay put,which FBS schools could improve enough to become AAC-quality?
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Exclamation If MWC schools stay put,which FBS schools could improve enough to become AAC-quality?
Assuming that no MWC school can be persuaded to join the AAC, which FBS schools could improve themselves enough to be considered qualified for AAC membership within the next 10 years?
01-14-2020 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: If MWC schools stay put,which FBS schools could improve enough to become AAC-quality?
clt says Charlotte enters the chat room
01-14-2020 07:39 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: If MWC schools stay put,which FBS schools could improve enough to become AAC-quality?
The options get really dicey in the east. I would go App State from that list. They at least show a fanbase, performance, etc. Add a ACC schedule and they probably get more attention.
01-14-2020 07:54 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(01-14-2020 07:39 AM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt says Charlotte enters the chat room

Rather than referring to the school as "Charlotte," it probably makes the most sense for the rest of us to refer to them as "UNC Charlotte," since they are one of the largest schools in the UNC system.

The same is true for the U. of Buffalo to be referred to as SUNY Buffalo, an abbreviation for The State University of New York (flagship) at Buffalo."

Another option is "UNCC," following the example of UCLA, one of the largest in the U. California system.

"Charlotte" doesn't have anywhere near the same kind of name recognition that "UNC Charlotte" has. In fact, until I looked it up today, I wasn't 100% sure whether or not "Charlotte" was the same school as "UNC Charlotte" or "UNCC."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regard to UNC Charlotte, most people don't realize that, when they were in C-USA for 9 seasons, they had an excellent basketball team that appeared in the NCAA tourney 8 out of those 9 seasons.

Unfortunately, they haven't distinguished themselves in MBB since 2008 or so.

With respect to FB, they didn't have a FCS team until 2013 and only became FBS in 2015. They play in a 15,000 seat stadium, and probably wouldn't be eligible to play in the AAC unless they increased that to 25,000 seats or so.

2019 was their first winning season (7-6), and they lost to SUNY Buffalo (6-31).

With all due respect, the only chance UNCC FB would have to make it into the AAC in the next 10 years would be by building on their 2019 FB success for several years in a row and attaining the kind of excellence that Appalachian State has had recently. They would also have to expand their FB stadium by adding ~ 10,000 more seats.

With their solid BB legacy, UNCC MBB would have a slightly better shot at becoming an AAC team, but there are a few better options for the AAC at present, even within the A-10. So they would have to start winning 20+ games per year, consistently and have some success in the NCAA every year or two for the next 5+ years to have any chance in the next 10 years.

Yes, Charlotte does meet several AAC criteria, but not enough right now to be given a second thought, unfortunately. At least, not the way I understand the situation.

But meanwhile, go 49ers!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 08:07 AM by jedclampett.)
01-14-2020 08:05 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
None of the above

It’s BYU, a MW team or kick out Tulsa.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 08:22 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
01-14-2020 08:07 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
If MWC schools stay put,which FBS schools could improve enough to become AAC-quality?
Jed needs to start a 12th thread about this
01-14-2020 08:10 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
the only CUSA school would be UAB. good school, new stadium, good media market, good basketball history. MWC would be Air Force if not Bosie (football only) with VCU filling the basketball slot. BYU isnt interested.
01-14-2020 08:11 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(01-14-2020 07:54 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  The options get really dicey in the east. I would go App State from that list. They at least show a fanbase, performance, etc. Add a ACC schedule and they probably get more attention.

With the MWC schools perhaps being out of reach with their new contract, I'd have to agree that they would probably be among the top 3 or 4 options, albeit for FB-only.

One thing that could help them with their national brand recognition is that, while few seem to be aware of the fact, App. State is one of the schools in the UNC system, and could be referred to as "The University of North Carolina, Appalachian State."

As such, in years such as 2019, their FB team probably taps the viewership of the entire UNC system, with its enrollment of >220,000, and may be the top 2019 FB program in the State of North Carolina.
01-14-2020 08:14 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
The choices have always been BYU, Service Academy, select few MWC teams, or throw the rest in a hat. Of the "throw the names in a hat" pool for selfish nostalgia reasons I'd want USM, but what would actually be the best for the league if they are forced to add a 12th team is add App FB only and VCU to go with them all other sports.
01-14-2020 08:16 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

Voted Indy for BYU. All others need not apply.

You need to adjust the poll to show who is voting for what, so we'll know whether any of the voters for App State are not App State fans.
01-14-2020 08:24 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(01-14-2020 08:05 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 07:39 AM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt says Charlotte enters the chat room

Rather than referring to the school as "Charlotte," it probably makes the most sense for the rest of us to refer to them as "UNC Charlotte," since they are one of the largest schools in the UNC system.

The same is true for the U. of Buffalo to be referred to as SUNY Buffalo, an abbreviation for The State University of New York (flagship) at Buffalo."

Another option is "UNCC," following the example of UCLA, one of the largest in the U. California system.

"Charlotte" doesn't have anywhere near the same kind of name recognition that "UNC Charlotte" has. In fact, until I looked it up today, I wasn't 100% sure whether or not "Charlotte" was the same school as "UNC Charlotte" or "UNCC."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regard to UNC Charlotte, most people don't realize that, when they were in C-USA for 9 seasons, they had an excellent basketball team that appeared in the NCAA tourney 8 out of those 9 seasons.

With respect to FB, they didn't have a FCS team until 2013 and only became FBS in 2015. They play in a 15,000 seat stadium, and probably wouldn't be eligible to play in the AAC unless they increased that to 25,000 seats or so.

2019 was their first winning season (7-6), and they lost to SUNY Buffalo (6-31).

With all due respect, the only chance UNCC FB would have to make it into the AAC in the next 10 years would be by building on their 2019 FB success for several years in a row and attaining the kind of excellence that Appalachian State has had recently. They would also have to expand their FB stadium by adding ~ 10,000 more seats.

With their solid BB legacy, UNCC MBB would have a slightly better shot at becoming an AAC team, but there are a few better options for the AAC at present, even within the A-10. So they would have to start winning 20+ games per year, consistently and have some success in the NCAA every year or two for the next 5+ years to have any chance in the next 10 years.

Yes, Charlotte does meet several AAC criteria, but not enough right now to be given a second thought, unfortunately. At least, not the way I understand the situation.

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

Charlotte has tons of name recognition.

[Image: charlotte-hornets.svg]
01-14-2020 08:26 AM
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

(01-14-2020 08:10 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  (he)...needs to start a 12th thread about this(?)

I know you and perhaps others have been trying to discourage too many threads about the topic of adding a 12th team,* but this isn't just another thread on that broader topic.

This specific thread is very timely and very pertinent, given that there is a lot of current discussion on a few of the most active threads about the consequences of the MWC's new broadcasting agreement. A consensus seems to be developing that the MWC teams may decide to drop any considerations of switching to the AAC before 2026, given their $4 million/year per school media payments through 2026. The consequences for the AAC could be very profound, given the possibility that P5 conference(s) might attempt to persuade 2 or more AAC teams to make the jump to the P5 level.

-----
*Just noticed this week how the "Off Topic" section is jam-packed with dozens of threads on this topic.

The proliferation of those threads, and the frequency of responses to the general topic on the main AAC Conference Talk section, is a clear indicator of the level of interest that there is in this topic.

Even this thread has already gotten 150 views in its first hour or so!

As the expression goes, "By popular demand..."
01-14-2020 08:28 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(01-14-2020 08:26 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

You're right - of course - about Charlotte, North Carolina (the city) and Charlotte's NBA team, but the question here is about Charlotte, the university, and they've gotten very little attention from sports broadcasters in the past 10-15 years.

I may be one of the few around here, other than ECU fans, who remembers Charlotte's NCAA glory days in the late 90's through 2005-2008.
01-14-2020 08:34 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(01-14-2020 08:34 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

You're right - of course - about Charlotte, North Carolina (the city) and Charlotte's NBA team, but the question here is about Charlotte, the university, and they've gotten very little attention from sports broadcasters in the past 10-15 years.

I may be one of the few around here, other than ECU fans, who remembers Charlotte's NCAA glory days in the late 90's through 2005-2008.

I more meant that, growing up in Charlotte, I associate the "Charlotte" branding with the Hornets.

Didn't know about the glory days (I moved to Wrightsville in 2002). Were they pretty good in FCS?
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 08:40 AM by CoastalJuan.)
01-14-2020 08:38 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Waiting for Panama in 3, 2, 1.....
01-14-2020 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jedclampett Offline
All American

(01-14-2020 08:16 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  The choices have always been BYU, Service Academy, select few MWC teams, or throw the rest in a hat. Of the "throw the names in a hat" pool for selfish nostalgia reasons I'd want USM, but what would actually be the best for the league if they are forced to add a 12th team is add App FB only and VCU to go with them all other sports.

I'd have to agree about App FB & VCU non-FB, especially if App St. is able to repeat their top 30 level FB success next season & beyond. App State could use their membership in the UNC system (enrollment: 220,000+) to meet some of the AAC's academic and related criteria.

Buffalo meets so many of the AAC's criteria that they may be a solid candidate FB or possibly all-sports contender. However, Buffalo would need to take their athletic programs up a solid notch - soon - and would need to invest a fair amount in their facilities and branding/marketing to qualify.
01-14-2020 08:41 AM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

Only because They are owned by Michael Jordan
01-14-2020 08:53 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(01-14-2020 08:53 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

That logo, and all of the team's success, pre-dates Jordan's bobcats endeavor.
01-14-2020 08:56 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2020 08:40 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Waiting for Panama in 3, 2, 1.....

Georgia State, new stadium, largest available market in AAC footprint, largest available new recruiting area in AAC footprint, largest available student enrollment in AAC footprint...

Most of their expansion has occurred since 2000.

Just like SUNY Buffalo it would be a major mistake for the AAC to overlook Georgia State...

OK, now Que Panama
01-14-2020 09:05 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2020 08:56 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 08:53 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

But meanwhile, go 49ers!

That logo, and all of the team's success, pre-dates Jordan's bobcats endeavor.

Loved the Larry Johnson "GRANDMAMA" days...
01-14-2020 09:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.