Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should the FCS Location be switced more often?
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Should the FCS Location be switced more often?
Con's

To be honest going to a Frisco for the third time in four years is getting a bit old. Plus it being cold again is not preferred. NDSU fans have been there way more often so I'm guessing some share the same thoughts. Spending a lot of money to go to the same mini-vacation location is getting a bit old especially with the less than ideal weather conditions.

Pro's

The stadium size is appropriate, and there are plenty of hotels, restaurants, and airports.

Thoughts

Frisco is a good location, but the repetition and less than ideal weather conditions will not be a major reason in me continuing to go if JMU continues to succeed.

Isn't there something more southern? I would not even mind going to a more northern location if it's a different place. Just not liking to spend $500 a person for same two days in Frisco. How about a soccer stadium in southern Florida, Southern Texas, or CA? My cost of the the trip won't very much.

We go for the mini vaca and to support the team. I wish we'd switch up the location more frequently.
01-08-2020 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
RE: Should the FCS Location be switced more often?
The answer is yes, but the point is moot.
01-08-2020 09:57 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(01-08-2020 09:57 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  The answer is yes, but the point is moot.

Exactly. If folks really care about this, fill out those NCAA surveys during and after the game and mention it. Then MAYBE the FCS committee will consider a new venue in 2026/2027 when the current contract with Frisco runs out.

Personally, I hope we are moving FBS by then.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.co...2026%3famp
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020 10:08 AM by JMURocks.)
01-08-2020 10:06 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes

This. This was just asked (again) last night by those in our travel group who aren't dorks like us that follow all of this closely like we do here. There is zero reason this wouldn't be better in South Florida, SoCal, Vegas, AZ, etc. but in the absence of better bids (which aren't likely to come from bigger cities where this wouldn't move the needle tourism-wise), at least Frisco seems to care a bit. And even after the Dukes keep rattling the Bison dynasty on Saturday, as long as NDSU is there every year, they'd rather be in breastaurant-central than somewhere cool and that'll keep making money for Frisco, which in turn will keep them bidding.

Personally, I'd be fine going just about anywhere else at this point, especially cause the weather in Dallas basically sucks as bad as anywhere, though even I have to admit the flights and hotels are easy and relatively inexpensive (imagine flight prices for the few available to a Mobile-type smaller locale) and the stadium is the right size even if it sucks compared to BFS.
01-08-2020 10:08 AM
South Main Offline
Bench Warmer

Yes, should definitely move. I vote here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_FC_stadium once it is open.
01-08-2020 10:10 AM
Dukester Offline

It's nice to know other's share my thoughts. I figured I might be alone on an island for my opinion.
01-08-2020 10:12 AM
Advertisement

UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
I think the location is great but if the same teams are going to continue to go for the most part, there is clearly fatigue by the fan bases. This happens often with teams that get trapped into the same bowl (App St/New Orleans).
01-08-2020 10:14 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2020 10:12 AM)Dukester Wrote:  It's nice to know other's share my thoughts. I figured I might be alone on an island for my opinion.

I would definitely like to see the game moved. We need at least 30K seats and a warmer locale would be great. Two of our three trips to Frisco have included bad weather or freezing temps.

Florida would be perfect.
01-08-2020 10:17 AM
jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
(01-08-2020 09:54 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Con's

To be honest going to a Frisco for the third time in four years is getting a bit old. Plus it being cold again is not preferred. NDSU fans have been there way more often so I'm guessing some share the same thoughts. Spending a lot of money to go to the same mini-vacation location is getting a bit old especially with the less than ideal weather conditions.

Pro's

The stadium size is appropriate, and there are plenty of hotels, restaurants, and airports.

Thoughts

Frisco is a good location, but the repetition and less than ideal weather conditions will not be a major reason in me continuing to go if JMU continues to succeed.

Isn't there something more southern? I would not even mind going to a more northern location if it's a different place. Just not liking to spend $500 a person for same two days in Frisco. How about a soccer stadium in southern Florida, Southern Texas, or CA? My cost of the the trip won't very much.

We go for the mini vaca and to support the team. I wish we'd switch up the location more frequently.
Definitely should be moved to another location. Weather is usually terrible, too small when JMU & ND are playing. Flights are always higher going into Dallas. Maybe ND and JMU should start a petition this weekend to get it moved.
01-08-2020 10:18 AM
Dukester Offline

How about Orlando City Stadium? So much to do there. Attractions, cheaper Airport, more and cheaper hotels, more restaurants, better weather.

Orlando City Stadium was completed in time for Orlando City SC's first home game of 2017 and it is now one of the best places to watch soccer in the United States. The soccer-specific stadium is just a few blocks from the heart of downtown and the stadium itself was built with the intention of promoting an incredible atmosphere on game days. Orlando City Stadium features the first safe-standing section in the United States for the club's supporters' group. The roof of the stadium was built at an angle to trap in noise. And the sight lines and seating help fans feel close to the action. The stadium is the perfect home for Orlando City's dedicated fan base. The club averaged 25,028 on game days in 2017, which ranked fourth in MLS, and has averaged 23,790 so far this year.

I would not even mind going to Portland Oregon.

Look at all the new 22,000-ish stadiums we could go to.

US Soccer Stadiums

Frisco is fine for a two year package, but getting old.......
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020 10:21 AM by Dukester.)
01-08-2020 10:20 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(01-08-2020 10:14 AM)UofRfan Wrote:  I think the location is great but if the same teams are going to continue to go for the most part, there is clearly fatigue by the fan bases. This happens often with teams that get trapped into the same bowl (App St/New Orleans).

I think this is where I stand. I enjoy Frisco; plenty of accommodations, good eats, accessible flights. The weather has been cold (but really 2017 was not that bad by midgame and this year seems like it'll be the same) but that's just a total bad draw for us in our small sample size. Unless you get to Florida in January your odds of a warm winter destination aren't fabulous.

Finally, if the NCAA were to relocate the championship game, do you really trust them to move it to a BETTER location? They're likely to move it somewhere like Youngstown OH. I think for the sake of variety a different location would be fun, but like I assume has become a "spring break" trip for the Bizzzon I enjoy the opportunity to travel to Texas in January.
01-08-2020 10:25 AM
Advertisement

TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(01-08-2020 10:10 AM)South Main Wrote:  Yes, should definitely move. I vote here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_FC_stadium once it is open.

Consider some of the reasons FOR keeping the championship game where it is:

Centrally located- no matter where one is traveling from the flight will not be much longer than three hours. As opposed to South Florida or CA, which could lead to much longer flights for those traveling from the "other" coast.

D/FW Airport- direct flight service from ALMOST everywhere.

Hotel Capacity- Frisco/Plano area has more than enough hotels, restaurants and infrastructure to smoothly handle the event.

While, oddly, we have yet to have ideal weather for the event- in general, the weather swings in D/FW are typically not that drastic and the chance of having severe weather is pretty low.

And lastly, do you really think that the anyone with decision making authority is going to factor in the opinion that "some fans of 'winning' teams get tired of going to the venue year after so it should be changed"? Its a championship game. Theoretically speaking, different teams could/should be there every year so why worry one team winning so much that they might get bored with the venue?

Of course, I live here and love having he game in my back yard (so, yes, I'm biased) but I believe there are more pros than cons.
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Put it in Audi Field in DC. Given the number of Dukes on the DC Defenders, it'll basically be Bridgeforth - DC Edition anyway 03-wink
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

If they were to move it, would you really want another soccer stadium?
Half the complaints have been that it isn’t a football specific venue.

Chatty is a good type of venue for this, and Texas weather certainly isn’t great this time of year, so I’m with those that would move it toward Florida.

All for moving it - just really don’t think it will happen for a decade ... the Frisco contract may not be easy to get out of, and I don’t think the the committee will entertain breaking it.

It’s almost easier for JMU to go FBS and go to a warm weather bowl instead.
01-08-2020 10:26 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

Agreed......the big issue is getting somewhere else to put in a better bid. It is a bidding process and the NCAA is not gonna move it just to move it with a less attractive bid.

But since the NCAA likes the FCS title in a soccer stadium....Orlando would be a great location IMO.
https://www.orlandocitysc.com/club/facilities
01-08-2020 10:28 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I agree with Purple that a stadium around 30k or slightly more would be nice as long as JMU and NDSU are still FCS. As long as one of those teams are in it, I think they'd fill that or close to it and if you get both those teams(or one of a few others) then it'll easily be filled.

I also think the location is extremely boring even the first time and aside from cheap flights and hotels it doesn't do anything to attract any fans that might be on the fence. Vegas, Florida, SoCal would be a huge positive in that regard. Any of those locations I'd probably make more of a vacation out of it and consider a couple extra days rather than flying in the day before and out the day after, the sole attraction being the game.
01-08-2020 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(01-08-2020 10:14 AM)UofRfan Wrote:  I think the location is great but if the same teams are going to continue to go for the most part, there is clearly fatigue by the fan bases. This happens often with teams that get trapped into the same bowl (App St/New Orleans).

Not sure I would be as quickly fatigued by the Orlando Soccer facility.

It beat's Frisco in every category - Stadium , Attractions, weather, cost of flight, number of flights, number of hotels, cost of hotels, number of restaurants. You could switch it up every year to make the trip fresh.
01-08-2020 10:31 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

San Antonio and the Alamodome could handle it easily. No problem with weather. The upper-level can be closed so the stadium seats 30k, and there are adequate hotels and lots of things to visit in SA.
01-08-2020 10:42 AM
South Main Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-08-2020 10:42 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  San Antonio and the Alamodome could handle it easily. No problem with weather. The upper-level can be closed so the stadium seats 30k, and there are adequate hotels and lots of things to visit in SA.

Selfishly I'd like Austin or SA because they're awesome places to visit. Not a fan of Orlando because it's so blah, but would be warm so that's nice.
01-08-2020 10:48 AM
Bison01 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NDSU
If cost is anyone’s reason for not attending, then moving the game from DFW doesn’t likely improve the situation.

American has more direct flights than any other airline, and as a major hub, flights are generally reasonable.

Similar situation with hotels, restaurants, etc.
[/u]
01-08-2020 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.