Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The future of higher education
Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Declining enrollments, school closures, student debt, the humanities, qualified minority candidates, the 13% national drop in black student enrollment since 2010, and the future of college athletics:

https://www.purdue.edu/president/documen...Letter.pdf

"States on both coasts now have problems, many of them self-inflicted, that they must see as very ominous if they are paying attention", with the potential benefit to Midwest schools.

Here's hoping that the W&M powers that be are in tune with what is being seen from the ivory tower located in West Lafayette, Indiana.
01-06-2020 10:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: The future of higher education
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens. W&M will easily survive the first wave that hits - our applications and admissions have been steady/increased while the national trend is decreasing. I think small private schools will be the first to struggle - people are hesitant to spend 50k a year to attend a school most haven't heard of. Some smaller states schools are starting to feel similar hits, students are leaning more towards community college or the big flagship institution.

In Illinois, for example, basically every public college that isn't UIC or Illinois-Chicago has been shrinking or at least struggling. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-c...story.html
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020 11:06 AM by TDenverFan.)
01-06-2020 11:02 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
That's what happens when income levels continue to widen from the mean and the cost of tuition goes up. The importance of having a degree is still important, but borrowing for college is a loser in the long run for a lot of students who don't have enough to pay cash.
01-06-2020 11:03 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

If you haven't read, it's worth a look. The Gazette wrote an article specifically about this and W&M right before the New Year. I originally wasn't thrilled about the Rowe hire but this is something that seems to be a focus for her. Not just surviving but thriving in the new paradigm.

https://www.dailypress.com/virginiagazet...story.html

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
01-06-2020 11:57 AM
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
Remember that the baby boom echo is over, fewer traditional college age students. Add in online schools, and schools lacking a point of differentiation will suffer.
01-06-2020 12:48 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Online schools are thriving, in part, because so many older people, after being in the work force, are deciding to get a degree (the biggest growth area in college applications). I'm sure this is why W&M is, at least, investigating the expansion of online courses. Liberty has certainly proven it can be monetized...
01-06-2020 01:28 PM
heferbovine Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W&M Tribeu6
(01-06-2020 11:57 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  If you haven't read, it's worth a look. The Gazette wrote an article specifically about this and W&M right before the New Year. I originally wasn't thrilled about the Rowe hire but this is something that seems to be a focus for her. Not just surviving but thriving in the new paradigm.

https://www.dailypress.com/virginiagazet...story.html

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Very unlikely to happen. Rowe is OK at articulating challenges in general, but shows little inclination for trench warfare, and much of that is necessary to engineer the changes that will be necessary. Today's students have become minions of silicon valley and social media is their top priority. Classes and "learning" are a frustrating distraction. Grade inflation facilitates this. Roughly, students spend a third of class time glued to their electronic leeches. Students are now customers and degrees are commodities that will, presumably, secure them a job. To correct this involves a counter-cultural crusade that Rowe, and most other university leaders, are quite unlikely to take on. W&M has become a cash flow institution that needs more and more funding to nourish and enlarge a top-heavy institutional bureaucracy. Semester length has been trimmed to the point that today's students spend one full academic year less in class than did students a generation ago. Roughly half the classes are now taught by adjunct faculty. Tuition increases are necessary to fund activities that have little to do with educational quality, which has been significantly compromised.
01-06-2020 06:56 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(01-06-2020 10:19 AM)nj alum Wrote:  Declining enrollments, school closures, student debt, the humanities, qualified minority candidates, the 13% national drop in black student enrollment since 2010, and the future of college athletics:

https://www.purdue.edu/president/documen...Letter.pdf

"States on both coasts now have problems, many of them self-inflicted, that they must see as very ominous if they are paying attention", with the potential benefit to Midwest schools.

Here's hoping that the W&M powers that be are in tune with what is being seen from the ivory tower located in West Lafayette, Indiana.

On the other hand, if the W&M powers that be are not in tune with what is being seen from the heartland, the cutting of seven sports is the least of W&M’s problems.
09-04-2020 05:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.