Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
Bookmark and Share
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
One CAA game at a time.

Bottom line: Nate needs to simply be the POY. Nate AND Andy need to put the team on their back and exert their will to win. Our two bigs have to trump Hofstra's guard strength. The rest is all about defense.

Will be a good road trip, if we can come away with a split.

A back yard game for Thornton, who will be 15 miles from home, so, hopefully his game reflects it.

Go Tribe! Make a statement.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 08:49 AM by Tribeheart.)
12-31-2019 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
I'm feeling (and hoping) we may exceed expectations in this one, opposed to the last three games.

This has become one our and the CAAs better rivalries. Keep it boiling.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 08:59 AM by Sitting bull.)
12-31-2019 08:58 AM
Tribal Offline

CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
I don't feel good about this game. A win would be pivotal, a huge confidence boost, and a shot in the arm for our fanbase so I hope we pull it off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-31-2019 10:59 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
As a Hofstra fan I'm wondering if last night means you aren't good or if it will serve as a wake-up call that you can be better. Your points, rebounds, assists, and three shooting percentages are all better than your opponents, and being 9-5 with 4 home and 9 away games is good. Your away losses are all at teams in good conferences.

Knight (20.3 PPG, 9.6 RPG, and 1.3 BPG) and Van Vliet (14.9 PPG, 9.6 RPG, and 1.1 BPG) have a chance to do something that hasn't been done in a long time, and maybe not ever. According to the College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index, in the last 27 complete seasons, there have never been teammates with at least 20 games, 15 PPG, 9 RPG, and 1 BPG. Lowering it to 14 PPG makes one pair of teammates who did that, who were Marist's Alan Tomidy and Kareem Hill in 1995-1996. Hill averaged 14.2 PPG, so if the standard doesn't have to be a whole number so it can be 14.9 PPG, Knight and Van Vliet are on pace to do something very rare, and I'm going to make a note to check on that after the season.
12-31-2019 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2019 11:45 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  As a Hofstra fan I'm wondering if last night means you aren't good or if it will serve as a wake-up call that you can be better.

I honestly think the answer is both. We've seen both sides of the coin this season. We've had disjointed offensive games where we've struggled to do anything right. We've had scrappy defensive games and games a matador would be proud of. We've had games where we get little scoring support outside the the twin towers, and games where Loewe/Scott/Barnes puts up 20. With how this season has gone, it wouldn't surprise me if we won or lost by 15 against any CAA team.

Perhaps that wide sweeping inconsistency makes this not a good team.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 12:02 PM by mrjoolius.)
12-31-2019 12:01 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
I think the Elon game was important in that Thornton Scott knocked off some rust, but he will need to hit mid-season form quickly, as they desperately need another consistent scorer on the floor (besides Nate, Andy, and Luke). I respect Tyler's defense, but I'm sure our opponents have figured out he's not a threat to shoot and they adjust accordingly. They won't be able to do that with Thornton on the floor.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 05:33 PM by ScottyB757.)
12-31-2019 05:32 PM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

Luke is consistent, but maybe, too hesitant to look for his shot. He is barely taking 7 shots per game. We probably need him closer to 10 a game.
01-01-2020 10:38 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
Really curious how Dane will balance needing to score with needing to guard Hofstra's dangerous backcourt.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
01-01-2020 11:31 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Your preview says you start conference play with three road games for the first time since you were in the Southern Conference in 1972-1973.
01-02-2020 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TDenverFan Offline
All American

Yeah, then we get 4 home games in a row in a few weeks. Really don't love the conference schedule, and no home game for charter day is a bummer.
01-02-2020 11:02 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

We are 7.5 dogs in this one.
01-02-2020 12:03 PM
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
Probably our hardest two matchups in the CAA this year are Hofstra and Towson, for totally opposite reasons. There is a tendency to get into an Indy 500 car race with Hofstra and I really do not think that is desirable for this year's Tribe team. Hofstra showed last year that they are willing to let Nate score 40 if we are willing to get into a track meet with their guards, but I think that we will be best served this year if we step on the brake a bit. With Towson, on the other hand, it is always a rock fight, and I do not think that anyone likes a rock fight.
01-02-2020 12:17 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

Evan, any idea on how Joe is planning to matchup defensively? I didn't realize how small your lineup was until my buddy pointed it out today. Seems like there will be a mismatch with one of our bigs (and obviously a reciprocal mismatch on the other end of the floor) unless Joe gets creative.
01-02-2020 01:59 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(01-02-2020 01:59 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Evan, any idea on how Joe is planning to matchup defensively? I didn't realize how small your lineup was until my buddy pointed it out today. Seems like there will be a mismatch with one of our bigs (and obviously a reciprocal mismatch on the other end of the floor) unless Joe gets creative.

They were out-sized everywhere against JMU too. They will just want to run and gun and ignore the mismatch. Have their guards get their hands in passing lanes trying to force turnovers, then get out and run. Playing a half court game is to any team's benefit against them, since the mismatches will then show themselves.
01-02-2020 02:47 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(01-02-2020 02:47 PM)dan10 Wrote:  They were out-sized everywhere against JMU too. They will just want to run and gun and ignore the mismatch. Have their guards get their hands in passing lanes trying to force turnovers, then get out and run. Playing a half court game is to any team's benefit against them, since the mismatches will then show themselves.

Definitely. I was saying early today that if I was Hofstra, I'd be doing whatever I could to limit half court possessions and speed the game up. In some ways, going for a steal and whiffing to allow an easy layup may be more helpful to their game long term than playing defense in a traditional set. No idea if Hofstra has a press in their arsenal.
01-02-2020 02:54 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(01-02-2020 12:03 PM)billymac Wrote:  We are 7.5 dogs in this one.

Seems about fair. If we're being honest I could see anything from a small Tribe win to Hofstra by 20.
01-02-2020 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

(01-02-2020 02:57 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  
(01-02-2020 12:03 PM)billymac Wrote:  We are 7.5 dogs in this one.

Seems about fair. If we're being honest I could see anything from a small Tribe win to Hofstra by 20.
Agree with this. I hope we're both wrong and our Tribe wins going away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-02-2020 03:16 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Does the Color Man's mother know he isn't home tonight??
01-02-2020 06:59 PM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Have we faced a zone defense this year?

I'm interested to see what our offense against it will be. Hope we get hot from 3.
01-02-2020 07:09 PM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

CAA Game #2 - @ Hofstra
Great start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-02-2020 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.