Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: NCAA puts TCU football, men's and women's basketball on probation
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
OT: NCAA puts TCU football, men's and women's basketball on probation
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Athletes on summer work-study were allowed to leave work without clocking out, resulting in nearly $20k total overpaid in four summers from 2015 through 2018. Thirty-three athletes from the football, men's basketball, and women's basketball teams were involved. No wins will be vacated for any of the teams because the NCAA agrees that the athletics department was unaware of the situation until shortly before reporting in 2018 and that there was not a substantial impact in player performance or recruiting as a result of the infractions.

One manager in TCU's equivalent of Rice's Dept of Facilities, Engineering, and Planning regularly hired athletes to change lightbulbs across campus, ostensibly because of their reach, balance, and summer availability, and did not closely monitor time cards. It could be a guy trying to be a booster for the athletes, or it could be plain, old-fashioned incompetence. The article doesn't say whether he's still employed at the school or if non-athletes had the same benefits.

Other notes:
  • The probation extends until the Christmas break next year.
  • The per player benefits were small (the most anyone received was less than $2,700 total accumulated over multiple years; some cited were overpaid less than $100).
  • TCU pays a $47k fine, including 10% of the proceeds TCU received from participating in the 2018 men's March Madness. One player in their first-round loss is now declared ineligible due to these over-payments.
  • The swimming and diving coach is also punished for exceeding practice time limits and repeatedly directing under-qualified team managers to act as coaches.
  • This is the first time TCU football has had a major infraction since typical SWC shenanigans in 1986.
12-20-2019 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: OT: NCAA puts TCU football, men's and women's basketball on probation
I’m sure UH isn’t thrilled that they had to vacate wins while TCU doesn’t have to.
12-21-2019 11:19 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Changing light bulbs.
12-21-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
What did A&M do?
12-21-2019 01:06 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-21-2019 11:19 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I’m sure UH isn’t thrilled that they had to vacate wins while TCU doesn’t have to.

I guess maybe so, but "vacating" is about as minimal a penalty as one can imagine. I mean, exactly what do you give up? The right to claim that you won a game that you won on the field or court two years ago? That just doesn't sound all that harsh to me.
12-21-2019 01:27 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Everybody knows who won the game on the field, and the fact that a player played who made a little extra money changing light bulbs doesn't change that.

Now, if the starting QB and a few other starters were getting term papers written for them, THEN those games should be vacated.
12-21-2019 03:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.