Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TV Rights Craziness
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
TV Rights Craziness
ESPN will be paying more than $330 million per year for SEC football rights.
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B...2/SEC.aspx
12-20-2019 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: TV Rights Craziness
That's going to stoke the wrong kind of fires at five ACC schools.
12-20-2019 09:30 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
At least Chad Swofford still has a job.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chadswofford

Can't wait to see the #goacc spin on this one.
12-20-2019 10:29 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
From the article:

Quote:With ESPN owning all of the SEC’s football rights, it’s possible that more than one game will be produced for broadcast TV; more top-tier games can be moved to primetime; and the conference can schedule more late afternoon games without having to worry about running into CBS’ exclusive window.

I thought the SEC was sucking up all the prime TV slots now. How bad is it going to be when ABC/ESPN has the SEC Tier 1 rights too? I guess the content of ACCN is going to go up as more and more ACC games are pushed out slots now filled by the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019 11:13 PM by ChrisLords.)
12-20-2019 10:42 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation RE: TV Rights Craziness
Not much the ACC can do - or perhaps even could've done. With this change, SEC teams will be making, what, $45 to $50M per year on TV rights alone (not including SECN revenues)? How many of the 14 ACC programs are actually worth that much? If the answer is less than 14, then those programs which are worth less are dragging down the revenue of the others. I'm guessing the answer might be only 7 or so teams in the ACC are actually worth what the average SEC team will be paid. That puts the ACC in a very uncomfortable position: the only way to keep the most valuable teams may be to let them have a bigger share of the pie - much like Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII.
12-20-2019 11:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

This is where the ACCN has to deliver to make up the gap. What the ACC has is a tremendous household advantage. Households + Market Penetration = Larger TV $$ ceiling
12-21-2019 01:36 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-20-2019 11:34 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Not much the ACC can do - or perhaps even could've done. With this change, SEC teams will be making, what, $45 to $50M per year on TV rights alone (not including SECN revenues)? How many of the 14 ACC programs are actually worth that much? If the answer is less than 14, then those programs which are worth less are dragging down the revenue of the others. I'm guessing the answer might be only 7 or so teams in the ACC are actually worth what the average SEC team will be paid. That puts the ACC in a very uncomfortable position: the only way to keep the most valuable teams may be to let them have a bigger share of the pie - much like Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII.
What kind of math is that? The worst the SEC will be making on TV rights will be 62 million per year. We are talking T1 rights here. The old CBS contract was $55 million. The ABC offer is said to be over six times that amount making the baseline $330 million. That means that the SEC media revenue will jump $275 million for T1.

So Mark you divide 275 million by 15 (14 team shares and the 1 share that goes to the conference). Each SEC school will make an additional 18.33 million plus when this goes into effect. It is also possible that the remaining CBS contract will be bought out so it is likely to start sooner than 2024.

The SEC paid out for the 2018 season 43.7 million for all rights. The increase in T1 only will take this to 62 million plus per school after the conference share is accounted for and that doesn't include built in escalators, or consider that it is estimated that this years payout will be ~46 million. It is possible that by 2024 with escalators and including the increase for this year that the payout per school could be $68 million.

I expect that the ACC will jump from 28 million in Media revenue to ~36-37 million within two years. By 2024 you could be making as much as 42 million per school iin payouts. So the issue here will be a gap no less than $20 million in media rights and if greater likely no greater than 26 million. But that is still a massive gap for just media rights. When you add in gate, concessions, licensing, etc, the SEC enjoys an even larger advantage.

That's why I've said I believe this is a precursor of what could turn out to be a move to essentially 2 leagues. How else could the PAC and ACC be motivated to make such a radical change than for the networks to intentionally grow a massive gap between the B1G and PAC and between the SEC and ACC. I suspect FOX if they lose the SEC bid, will make a play for the PAC and use some of their war chest to try to pull the best of the Big 12 into the Big 10 while ESPN does the same with the SEC.

The monetary gap makes it very hard to shoe horn in Texas into the ACC since ESPN would have to raise all current members of the ACC up 20 million x 14 and pro rated value for the 5 N.D. games. The SEC's payout will only cost them a raise to Texas and possibly Oklahoma or Kansas minus the cost of the LHN for Texas.

I'm not sure where we are headed here, but the destabilization is gong to be massive.

Initially I believe we will become a P4, and if the SEC's contract is for 10 years or less then I look for a streamlining of the current 65, especially if pay for play becomes reality, and an eventual emergence of what are essentially two leagues of between 48 to 60 schools formed into 2 leagues with one controlled by FOX and the other by Disney and with revenue ameliorated in the move. I believe the initial large gap will be used to lure out the best brands from the PAC, ACC, and Big 12, and then the league formation will go through a final adjustment phase before reaching the final number, but that's just my taking what is going to be large gaps in revenue between the P5 and logically postulating what likely outcome could come of that. As with all things, we'll see.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 02:18 AM by JRsec.)
12-21-2019 02:03 AM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
When does the payout for football bubble burst?
12-21-2019 07:04 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
OMG, it will become a P4! Then a P2!! Then a P1!!!!!!!

It’s so stupid really, once conferences are composed of 16 or more teams, they’re essentially two leagues anyway. They just have the same signature on their paychecks.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 07:43 AM by esayem.)
12-21-2019 07:41 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Wow....if only someone saw this coming
12-21-2019 08:16 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
What is good for the SEC, may be bad for college football.
With CBS giving up the SEC, it leaves one less traditional network broadcasting P5 football.
FOX has already given up the T3 of the Big 12 and their 1/2 rights to the Big 12 championship game to ESPN+.
NBC seems content to only broadcast 6-7 Notre Dame games per year......keeping their toe in the college broadcast business, but without making a firm commitment to the P5 college game.

There is something strange going on here.
We still have no idea of the value of the BTN, whether or not the B1G has been selling off the equity of the network just to keep pace with the SEC has been an unanswered question for the last several years.
We shouldn't have to wait too much longer for an answer. with TV contracts for the PAC, Big 12 and the B1G up for renewal within the next 3-5 years, if their is massive upheaval to come, we will know soon.

So good for the SEC, for being able to cash in. They have been the model. The SEC learned early on that it was more important to sell the sizzle than the steak. They marketed the college game experience, and the consumer bought it.

The questions moving forward are: which schools are they willing to share with, how can it be accomplished, what happens to those that are left behind, how long before they are forced to cull the weak links within their own herd?
12-21-2019 08:55 AM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
The model has been set. There is no commish of big time football.

The P2 will not kill, but they will weaken (ala Big East) the p3. They MIGHT, but not certain take some desirable schools from it (Texas, OU).

Most will be left behind ala Big East. It will be ugly. Sadly, the wheels for this were set in motion long ago. ACC never saw it coming.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 09:01 AM by nole.)
12-21-2019 08:58 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(12-20-2019 11:34 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Not much the ACC can do - or perhaps even could've done. With this change, SEC teams will be making, what, $45 to $50M per year on TV rights alone (not including SECN revenues)? How many of the 14 ACC programs are actually worth that much? If the answer is less than 14, then those programs which are worth less are dragging down the revenue of the others. I'm guessing the answer might be only 7 or so teams in the ACC are actually worth what the average SEC team will be paid. That puts the ACC in a very uncomfortable position: the only way to keep the most valuable teams may be to let them have a bigger share of the pie - much like Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII.

How many of the SEC teams are worth that kind of money? Probably no more than 7. Don’t you think the SEC would also face demands for unequal distribution?
12-21-2019 10:00 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Personally I think ESPN just bought a pig in a poke. College football’s popularity has peaked. Our country is changing. By the end of the next decade, Caucasians, college football’s biggest demographic, will be a minority. We will see a few years where popularity remains the same before its popularity begins to slip.

With the “browning of America” basketball and soccer will be the sports of popularity. ESPN is simply riding the golden goose until it dies.

I continue to say The SEC is poorly positioned to respond to the coming change. Unless of course they can figure out how to make immigrant adults and their children care more about American football than real football.

This is not another explosion of tv rights. This is the last gasp before they die.

I realize my view isn’t popular just realistic. We’ll see a restructuring in the future but it won’t be led by the white bread institutions of The Big Ten and SEC. It will be led by urban universities like those of the basketball only Big East.

Just one guys opinion...
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 10:14 AM by CardinalJim.)
12-21-2019 10:13 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-21-2019 10:13 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Personally I think ESPN just bought a pig in a poke. College football’s popularity has peaked. Our country is changing. By the end of the next decade, Caucasians, college football’s biggest demographic, will be a minority. We will see a few years where popularity remains the same before its popularity begins to slip.

With the “browning of America” basketball and soccer will be the sports of popularity. ESPN is simply riding the golden goose until it dies.

I continue to say The SEC is poorly positioned to respond to the coming change. Unless of course they can figure out how to make immigrant adults and their children care more about American football than real football.

This is not another explosion of tv rights. This is the last gasp before they die.

I realize my view isn’t popular just realistic. We’ll see a restructuring in the future but it won’t be led by the white bread institutions of The Big Ten and SEC. It will be led by urban universities like those of the basketball only Big East.

Just one guys opinion...

LOL "Basketball will save us!"

Hold your breath and wait on that to happen.
12-21-2019 12:29 PM

(12-21-2019 10:00 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

How many of the SEC teams are worth that kind of money? Probably no more than 7. Don’t you think the SEC would also face demands for unequal distribution?

I do think that doesn't really get the play it deserves. If you're Missouri or Ole Miss or Miss State or Vanderbilt or Kentucky or South Carolina or Arkansas or even Tennessee ... you may be materially well off but you're essentially being paid to inflate the win totals of four or so factory farming programs. Ole Miss fans will keep showing up because of The Grove and they're there to get drunk as much as watch the game. But for all the rest of those? How long before you start to bleed out your fan base?
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 12:36 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-21-2019 12:34 PM
Advertisement

(12-21-2019 10:13 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Personally I think ESPN just bought a pig in a poke. College football’s popularity has peaked. Our country is changing. By the end of the next decade, Caucasians, college football’s biggest demographic, will be a minority. We will see a few years where popularity remains the same before its popularity begins to slip.

Just one guys opinion...

The Big Ten will put that on the "think about it in 100 years" shelf along with the demographic bleed out of the rust belt. By the time that has happened you're talking about billions of dollars in pay disparity.
12-21-2019 12:37 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-21-2019 07:04 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  When does the payout for football bubble burst?

In 2035 or thereabout you will start to see a noticeable decline. This is why the SEC, under Slive, was urged strongly to start enhancing its basketball profile. Women's soccer in the SEC is doing well enough and baseball, Cardinal Jim, is a sport that immigrants know and love. So the SEC is actually much better positioned to make this transformation than is the ACC because we not only are doing well enough in the sports that may rise to the forefront, but also because we'll have the money to do it with.

I profoundly doubt that the influx of immigrants will flock to lacrosse, country club sports like golf or tennis, or even to traditional Olympic Sports.

But if the children of Millennials play even fewer organized sports than their parents did, which was far fewer than we did, the new TV live competition events might be some kind of gaming format.

My grandfather attended polo matches, flew to Churchill Downs for the Derby and went to the Brickyard for the Indy 500 and did so annually. My other grandfather loved boxing. And neither of them adapted well to the rise of football and both lived to see all of their interests decline significantly in popularity.

What I find fascinating is that as we receive an influx of immigrants and as the concussion protocol becomes a ubiquitous fear, baseball, the most enduring of American pass times may well rise back to being the most popular team sport. Immigrants love it and it has the fewest concussions of any team sport.

There will be baseball in heaven I think!
12-21-2019 12:42 PM

If it's baseball then the ACC will be more than fine. I just have a hard time imagining baseball or soccer becoming the top sport.
12-21-2019 12:47 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(12-21-2019 12:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  LOL "Basketball will save us!"

Hold your breath and wait on that to happen.

I will be long dead when it happens.

I just wanted to point out that nothing lasts forever...not even SEC or Big Ten football. Thankfully the rednecks of the south and the mouth breathers of the Midwest aren’t reproducing at same rate as their parents.

I will go to my grave knowing I am leaving a better world than the racist, sh*t hole south that I was born into.
12-21-2019 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.