Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo football will be fine in 2020 and beyond.......
Bookmark and Share
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Toledo football will be fine in 2020 and beyond.......
I have confidence with the talent on hand and the fact that a shake-up was required. Staff and coaching are a HUGE contributor towards team success. Yes - talent with coaching is the ultimate combo. UT now has the opportunity to strike this balance. George and Wright were marginal performers at best. UT can now reinvigorate both sides of the ball with new coaches and the latest ideas in D & O. I look forward to dramatic improvements in 2020. I liked both coaches personally but feel we can definitely do better and we will.

I believe in coach Candle and I believe he will right the ship.

The position searches for O & D coordinators will be fascinating. I'm sure there are also some awesome candidates from FCS and DII, in addition to FBS, that could vastly improve UT. THE LB hire will be critical and that it will likely be done in conjunction with the new DC's direct input.

Any names anyone would like to throw out for these positions? I'm thinking and will add my own in later posts. UT is still a DAMN good place to coach and most national coaches realize this fact and that there is talent on-hand and coming in to build around. It'll get done.
12-20-2019 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

RE: Toledo football will be fine in 2020 and beyond.......
I concur with your analysis or perception, but, unless we pay someone and I mean PAY for a great coordinator, then we are limited. I'd wait until the end of the NFL Season because the unemployment line will be long and maybe we can snatch a Defensive Coordinator?
12-21-2019 09:34 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Derrick Jackson is making $200,000 at NIU.
Lou Esposito is bringing down $185,000 at WMU.
Per USA Today.
12-21-2019 09:52 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

NFL coaches salaries aren't published in general, but the consensus is that coordinators make on average around $1M. Some have made a lot more than that.

CMU got Akey because he followed McElwain there from FLA, and he wasn't a coordinator in the NFL but a position coach. NFL position coaches make a lot less, but there is no guarantee a good position coach makes a good coordinator.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 10:31 AM by northcoastRocket.)
12-21-2019 10:31 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Pretty hard to watch the Buffalo and Kent State bowl games yesterday and not see the impact of their head coaches on the programs. Who would have thought Kent State would have moved as far as they did coming off a 2-10 season last year to finish the way they did. And they have a pretty solid QB coming back next year. Of course the Flash Fast came from the Falcon Fast under Babers at BG. The new BG coach is showing some early promise in dealing with the mess he inherited. Liepold at Buffalo has had some good success there and previously at Wisconsin Whitewater. Has beaten the Rockets 2 years straight and has not lost to Toledo in his 5 years at the helm. But he did lose to Mount Union while at W-W, then went on to win 46 straight games there. Also coached for 3 years for Frank Solich at Nebraska. Seems to have been a pretty good hire and will likely remain at Buffalo for a long time since he is now around 54 years old and not likely headed anywhere in big time programs unless he gets Buffalo to a New Years 6 bowl game sometime in the next couple of years.

And today Central goes with their seasoned head coach and very qualified assistants/coordinators. Another team that rose from the dung pile with only 1 win last year. Coaching does make a big difference. Our trajectory is not good right now. Can it change without a change in the head coach? it will be a challenge for sure.
12-21-2019 10:52 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I think the HC is more important than ever in college football
12-21-2019 12:42 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-21-2019 10:52 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Pretty hard to watch the Buffalo and Kent State bowl games yesterday and not see the impact of their head coaches on the programs. Who would have thought Kent State would have moved as far as they did coming off a 2-10 season last year to finish the way they did. And they have a pretty solid QB coming back next year. Of course the Flash Fast came from the Falcon Fast under Babers at BG. The new BG coach is showing some early promise in dealing with the mess he inherited. Liepold at Buffalo has had some good success there and previously at Wisconsin Whitewater. Has beaten the Rockets 2 years straight and has not lost to Toledo in his 5 years at the helm. But he did lose to Mount Union while at W-W, then went on to win 46 straight games there. Also coached for 3 years for Frank Solich at Nebraska. Seems to have been a pretty good hire and will likely remain at Buffalo for a long time since he is now around 54 years old and not likely headed anywhere in big time programs unless he gets Buffalo to a New Years 6 bowl game sometime in the next couple of years.

And today Central goes with their seasoned head coach and very qualified assistants/coordinators. Another team that rose from the dung pile with only 1 win last year. Coaching does make a big difference. Our trajectory is not good right now. Can it change without a change in the head coach? it will be a challenge for sure.

Kent State’s turnaround was impressive. And, they nearly beat us in the Glass Bowl. Will be interesting to see if Lewis can keep that going.
12-22-2019 07:56 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-22-2019 07:56 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 10:52 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Pretty hard to watch the Buffalo and Kent State bowl games yesterday and not see the impact of their head coaches on the programs. Who would have thought Kent State would have moved as far as they did coming off a 2-10 season last year to finish the way they did. And they have a pretty solid QB coming back next year. Of course the Flash Fast came from the Falcon Fast under Babers at BG. The new BG coach is showing some early promise in dealing with the mess he inherited. Liepold at Buffalo has had some good success there and previously at Wisconsin Whitewater. Has beaten the Rockets 2 years straight and has not lost to Toledo in his 5 years at the helm. But he did lose to Mount Union while at W-W, then went on to win 46 straight games there. Also coached for 3 years for Frank Solich at Nebraska. Seems to have been a pretty good hire and will likely remain at Buffalo for a long time since he is now around 54 years old and not likely headed anywhere in big time programs unless he gets Buffalo to a New Years 6 bowl game sometime in the next couple of years.

Kent State’s turnaround was impressive. And, they nearly beat us in the Glass Bowl. Will be interesting to see if Lewis can keep that going.

I like Lewis. Kent won their last four games including Buffalo, Ball State and a bowl game. They have terrible facilities. They beat BG by 42. Fourteen of their sixteen 2020 signees were 3 star players. He makes half of what Candle does.
12-22-2019 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.