Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rahne Era
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Rahne Era
This is not meant to start a platform for fighting, spitting, and BS
but,
Rahne didn't recruit any of the guys that signed today. How many recruiting years until we can get a good feel for the program under his leadership?

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app
12-18-2019 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Rahne Era
As with most things athletic, the devil is in the details.

We saw an immediate uptick in recruiting with Stinespring and Blackwell
We saw subtle improvements almost immediately with defensive play and scheme, and more importantly, we saw in-game adjustments.

While not expecting to win CUSA next year, we should see subtle improvements in discipline and basics, especially on offense.
We should expect to see recruiting continue to improve.
We should see a dramatic improvement in ODU's relationship with high School coaches.

While not everything is going to be obvious, and we may not set the world on fire, we should see improvement in most areas if we care to look hard enough, as soon as next season.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 07:17 PM by ODUalum78.)
12-18-2019 06:52 PM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

Rahne Era
I think we at least go .500 in 2020 under Rahne.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
12-18-2019 07:36 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

My gut says 4-5 wins in the first year of the Rahne era, and then hopefully we hold at or above .500 every year after...for a long time.
12-18-2019 07:59 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(12-18-2019 06:38 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  This is not meant to start a platform for fighting, spitting, and BS
but,
Rahne didn't recruit any of the guys that signed today. How many recruiting years until we can get a good feel for the program under his leadership?

Really? You asked that after a week on the job? National signing day is more that just one day isn’t it? Also, give the guy some credit for keeping most of the commitments we had. I don’t know if Rahne had anything to do with them at all, but I expect he at least called them up or maybe went to see a couple of them.
12-19-2019 12:12 AM
Tribrocavs Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU & "THE" OSU
If he’s bringing the Triangle Offense with him it’s gonna take a few years to bring in the o-line talent to run it properly. Without really solid run blocking up front, get ready for more of what we saw last year offensively.
12-19-2019 06:01 AM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2019 06:01 AM)Tribrocavs Wrote:  If he’s bringing the Triangle Offense with him it’s gonna take a few years to bring in the o-line talent to run it properly. Without really solid run blocking up front, get ready for more of what we saw last year offensively.

Once we saw a QB that could make plays, the running game improved. A far bigger concern than the OL (which brings back almost everyone) is a TE that is versatile enough to play in this offense and some running back talent. RB is a major concern going into this offseason since we lose Strong and only Watson(converted WR), Davis (needs to take thing seriously), Washington (not good), and Geiger returning.

This team needs an infusion of skill position players and improvement from the freshman and sophs that played last year.

Having a QB will help.
12-19-2019 07:36 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I don't give a crap what type of Offense we want to run or the type of players you have at the skill positions.... if you don't have an OL you can not move the ball with any consistency. We haven't really had an OL since we moved to FBS. App State always has an OL and they can compete with the big boys because of that reason.
12-19-2019 08:34 AM
djnva Online
All American

(12-18-2019 06:52 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  We should see a dramatic improvement in ODU's relationship with high School coaches.

I wasn't aware we had an issue here. What was it?

Are you just referring to signing more local guys or was there some friction?
12-19-2019 10:02 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Rahne said yesterday, that he plans to add another 7-8 players to this class. The guys who signed yesterday committed months ago. The signing period has many phases and some schools like FAU and Marshall sign most of their players in the later part. He seemed happy with yesterday signings. One day doesn't make a coach, he's still building a staff and that's more important than the first day of signings.
12-19-2019 10:06 AM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(12-19-2019 10:02 AM)djnva Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 06:52 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  We should see a dramatic improvement in ODU's relationship with high School coaches.

I have no first hand knowledge of those relationships, but would be surprised if there was not some animosity. I know in the first couple/few years of the program BW made a conscious shift to recruit fewer local players because he had gotten some bad apples earlier and felt that, in his mind, 757 kids living close to home and all of their friends were too much trouble. That info is from a very reliable source.
12-19-2019 10:10 AM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online

(12-19-2019 10:02 AM)djnva Wrote:  

BW reportedly had almost confrontational relationships with some local coaches, or no relationship at all.
I was told first hand about one, and heard from good sources about two more.

I cannot say beyond those, however, the details I am aware of would lead me to infer that those were not isolated situations.
12-19-2019 10:13 AM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Coaching carousel winners and losers: Grading every 2019 college football hire - cbssports.com
12-21-2019 02:47 AM
blueandsilver Offline
2nd String

(12-18-2019 06:38 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  This is not meant to start a platform for fighting, spitting, and BS
but,

He didn't recruit them, but he did something to convince them to stay solid in their committment, right? So I chalk that up as a first win --- hopefully of many more to come.
12-21-2019 10:32 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(12-21-2019 10:32 AM)blueandsilver Wrote:  
but,

He didn't recruit them, but he did something to convince them to stay solid in their committment, right? So I chalk that up as a first win --- hopefully of many more to come.

03-thumbsup
12-21-2019 10:50 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

I went to a luncheon with Rahne last week. Here's my takeaway:

1) He's big on culture. Obviously changing a culture is a long process. He said when he and Franklin arrived at PSU the culture didn't fully change until they had almost all their recruits in there. This will take time.
2) He's committed to all the guys currently on the roster. He asked them to blindly buy into him from Day 1 in order to maximize their working time together. He's reciprocating that attitude towards them. He's not looking to bring in guys who fit his system and running guys out who don't. Again, this will result in slower progress, but hopefully a much more sustainable longterm future.
3) He's detail oriented. He cares about EVERY. LITTLE. DETAIL. This is important and should reap the most significant short term returns.
4) He's invested in the students and the fans. He truly cares about reciprocity. He'll be at every ODU sporting event he can attend and will encourage his players to do the same. He wants to build a fanbase who cares ALL the time, not just when we're good. This will also take time.

I came away from the luncheon thinking he's just what ODU needs longterm. However, I told my wife that his approach isn't going to reap the short term success that many of the fans want to see. Give him time and support, and I think Monarch Nation will truly love him.
12-21-2019 08:42 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online

(12-21-2019 08:42 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  I went to a luncheon with Rahne last week. Here's my takeaway:

1) He's big on culture. Obviously changing a culture is a long process. He said when he and Franklin arrived at PSU the culture didn't fully change until they had almost all their recruits in there. This will take time.
2) He's committed to all the guys currently on the roster. He asked them to blindly buy into him from Day 1 in order to maximize their working time together. He's reciprocating that attitude towards them. He's not looking to bring in guys who fit his system and running guys out who don't. Again, this will result in slower progress, but hopefully a much more sustainable longterm future.
3) He's detail oriented. He cares about EVERY. LITTLE. DETAIL. This is important and should reap the most significant short term returns.
4) He's invested in the students and the fans. He truly cares about reciprocity. He'll be at every ODU sporting event he can attend and will encourage his players to do the same. He wants to build a fanbase who cares ALL the time, not just when we're good. This will also take time.

I came away from the luncheon thinking he's just what ODU needs longterm. However, I told my wife that his approach isn't going to reap the short term success that many of the fans want to see. Give him time and support, and I think Monarch Nation will truly love him.

Yes indeed! 04-cheers
12-21-2019 08:58 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

Just bought my 2020 Season Tickets. Great Schedule. Excited. Counting on you Ricky...
12-30-2019 12:47 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
I like that he has enthusiasm and a vision. We have a chance to give him everything he is asking for--fans included.

Looking around the league, you can see several programs trying to improve themselves and getting ODU on top of this will be a tall order. And because our peer schools are tired of being crapped on by P5s in their respective states, they will be competitive.

But he has my 100% support and I believe ODU is about to make significant steps forward. Let's go get our name back up on that board!

#Go Monarchs
#ReignOn
12-31-2019 11:37 AM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

Rahne Era
I really wish Ricky's last name was pronounced "reign" instead of "Ronnie" as it would have made the "Reign On" so much better!
Anyways, I think we go .500 in 2020!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
01-03-2020 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.