Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Josh Gonner
Bookmark and Share
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

Quote:Morrison's expected departure will make a scholarship available for the Gamecocks' latest recruit, Josh Gonner. A 6-2 guard from Hutchinson Community College, Gonner signed with USC last week.

Odom, reached while traveling out of state on Saturday, said he had no comment about either Gonner's arrival or the state of next season's roster.

Morrison was unavailable for comment.

Gonner completed a five-man USC recruiting class. With only four seniors departing from the program, the Gamecocks would have been one player over the NCAA's 13-scholarship limit had all of last season's underclassmen returned.

For the rest:
<a href='http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/university_of_south_carolina/5835484.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sport...ina/5835484.htm</a>

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 12 2003, 02:07 PM-->
05-12-2003 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yeah. I was in Columbia over the weekend and saw this in The State. I kinda rolled my eyes.

Odom's program is just going nowhere fast. I like the guy......but he's just not getting it done in the recruiting wars. There's just no reason to believe he's going to turn things around from I've seen so far.......and that includes in-game coaching AND recruiting. These "project" players just won't get you far in today's game.......not when the top programs are getting the best recruits every year.....because there's no time to develop players with everyone leaving early for the NBA these days. You need guys who can contribute NOW, because that's what our fellow SEC members are getting.

Odom will get his chance........no way McGee is going to let him go this early. But I will be the most shocked sports fan in America if Dave Odom turns our fortunes around with the routes he's taking. I think Odom is stunned by how difficult it is to build a basketball program here (I would be too.......because, really, it shouldn't be that hard).
05-12-2003 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

Gal, who would you have hired instead of Dave - just wondering...
05-12-2003 04:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Well, I think I would've gone the "young and upcoming" coach route, barring Bobby Knight or Bobby Cremins......instead of the veteran route.....especially since guys like Pitino and Tubby Smith showed no real interest.

Bobby Knight would've been my first choice. Cremmins would be second. Then after that I'd've starting looking for youthful energy.

And that could've been anybody.....Lebo, Alford, Snyder, Winters, etc. I don't know who would come here or who wouldn't.......but there just had to be some young guy out there willing to give Columbia a shot. In today's recruiting wars, I'm starting to believe the only way a down and out program like ours is going to turn the corner is to get a guy who has the energy, enthusiasm and willingness to RECRUIT. In today's climate, that takes real effort.....and willingness to play along with the GAMES involved in recruiting. As much as I hate it, a boy scout approach probably won't work.

But, I absolutely guarantee you Knight would've won here.
05-12-2003 04:48 PM
Advertisement

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

I agree with Knight - but think his abrasiveness might raise McGee's short hairs like Fogler did.

BTW, found out more with the new recruit:
<a href='http://www.hutchnews.com/days/saturday/sports/sports4.html' target='_blank'>http://www.hutchnews.com/days/saturday/spo...ts/sports4.html</a>

picture:
<a href='http://www.hutchcc.edu/dragons/02images/bbjgoner.jpg' target='_blank'>http://www.hutchcc.edu/dragons/02images/bbjgoner.jpg</a>

Hotly contested athlete sought out by East Carolina and Southeast Missouri State. FYI. I wonder if Dave can find another future NBA-MVP like Tim Duncan?

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 12 2003, 06:02 PM-->
05-12-2003 04:54 PM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I'm honestly starting to believe he simply lucked out with Duncan. Everytime anyone criticizes Odom's recruiting, they immediately point out Duncan.......but those folks should get real for a minute. Does anyone really believe Odom is going to bring another Tim Duncan to USC? Duncan is one of a kind (he's driving my Lakers nuts!! :eek: ).......plus Wake had the attraction of the ACC going for it......I know Dave doesn't have to compete with UNC and Duke for recruits anymore (well, not as much).....but he also doesn't have the allure of the ACC anymore, either.

The SEC is a great basketball league, but that doesn't change the fact that the media still perceives the ACC as THE traditional basketball league......and I think that affects recruiting.

Nevertheless, past coaches at Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Florida, LSU and others have proven it can be done at football-tradition schools. Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, MSU and Florida have all been to at least one Final Four. Of course we know about Kentucky's history. It can be done at USC, too.......I'm just not confident Dave is the guy to do it. We'll know more by this time next year, I think.
05-12-2003 05:22 PM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Who here thinks the new guy (Gonner) will be better than the guy who just left (Morrison)?
05-12-2003 10:06 PM
Advertisement

1st and Goal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Drakeman Wrote:Who here thinks the new guy (Gonner) will be better than the guy who just left (Morrison)?
Could he be any worse? :eek:
05-13-2003 07:47 AM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

Morrison was no David Ross 03-wink
05-13-2003 07:54 AM
Gamecock Jay Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Galactus you might be suprised to find out how close we were to getting Tubby Smith!! It was alot closer than most people think.
05-13-2003 08:47 AM
Advertisement

Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yeah, I've heard that. That would've been nice......but I think Smith realized he had a good thing going at KU........really no reason to leave there for here. :crying:
05-13-2003 09:27 AM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

Galactus Wrote:Yeah, I've heard that. That would've been nice......but I think Smith realized he had a good thing going at KU........really no reason to leave there for here. :crying:
You mean UK - Tubby doesn't coach for Kansas (just kidding - but you know some UK fans really are pissed if you don't type it right) :)

I think we had as much of a shot of landing Tubby as we did landing Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal 03-wink
05-13-2003 09:33 AM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Heh! You're right. Some universities are really fickle about whether or not the "university" comes before or after their school name. I worked with an Indiana grad and he'd get really PO'd if you called them "The University of Indiana." You had to always say "Indiana University" or "IU." I guess Kentucky is same way.......I had never thought about it much until I met Indiana fans down here.
05-13-2003 10:30 AM
Advertisement

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

Galactus Wrote:Heh! You're right. Some universities are really fickle about whether or not the "university" comes before or after their school name. I worked with an Indiana grad and he'd get really PO'd if you called them "The University of Indiana." You had to always say "Indiana University" or "IU." I guess Kentucky is same way.......I had never thought about it much until I met Indiana fans down here.
My father corrected me on it one day in a letter - and I have never forgotten. He is in Louisville right now, close to UK country. He sent me clippings of the newspaper when Tubby got hired, USC loses to UK (twice :mad: ), etc. He says Pitino owns Kentucky in every sense of the word now that he is back in the area.

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 13 2003, 12:48 PM-->
05-13-2003 11:41 AM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

1st and Goal Wrote:Could he be any worse? :eek:
Probably not, & that's my small point. More than likely Odom has raised the talent level of our team by replacing Morrison with Gonner. It's a small move no doubt, but I think Odom realizes he needs to improve the overall athleticism of this team however, & whenever possible.

In other words, our team just got better.
05-14-2003 11:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.