Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rethinking G5 Bowls
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Rethinking G5 Bowls
I’m probably alone in my thinking but I think rather than sending their teams to play in obscure and unexciting locales such as Mobile, Boise, NM, Montgomery, the Bahamas (great place but not for football) etc that a few tourist friendly destination cities and hosting multiple games:

Los Angeles (2 soccer stadiums available)
San Diego (new SDSU stadium)
Orlando (AAC stadium)
Las Vegas (make this happen UNLV)
Tampa
Boca Raton (C-USA stadium)
New Orleans (AAC stadium)
Hawaii (1 game in a MWC stadium)

No more back water potato bowls or cold weather games. Fans might book lodging for the week and watch multiple games.
12-09-2019 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Rethinking G5 Bowls
(12-09-2019 09:00 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m probably alone in my thinking but I think rather than sending their teams to play in obscure and unexciting locales such as Mobile, Boise, NM, Montgomery, the Bahamas (great place but not for football) etc that a few tourist friendly destination cities and hosting multiple games:

Orlando (AAC stadium)
Tampa

No more back water potato bowls or cold weather games. Fans might book lodging for the week and watch multiple games.

Conferences and schools don't make bowls; chambers of commerce and advertisers do. It these locales thought it was it was a good/profitable idea to create bowls in these locations for G5 or any other matchup, they could do so.
12-10-2019 01:55 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
The only bowl that I can think of that was created by a conference was the New Orleans Bowl which was created by the SunBelt Conference so one of its team could actually go to a bowl. In the past, the SunBelt was shunned by most if not all bowls.
12-10-2019 03:20 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
True, but why can't a conference itself create and sponsor bowls? They sponsor Conference Championship games that sometimes played in neutral site locations. Why not create a bowl?
12-10-2019 03:21 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-10-2019 03:21 AM)goofus Wrote:  True, but why can't a conference itself create and sponsor bowls? They sponsor Conference Championship games that sometimes played in neutral site locations. Why not create a bowl?

It could ... the question is where the cashflow to support it in the event of a loss comes from. The conferences that are swimming in cash that could be used to sponsor a bowl are the conferences that already have bowls on a variety of tourist destinations.
12-10-2019 05:57 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(12-10-2019 03:21 AM)goofus Wrote:  True, but why can't a conference itself create and sponsor bowls? They sponsor Conference Championship games that sometimes played in neutral site locations. Why not create a bowl?

The AAC did it with the Miami Bowl. Its now the ESPN Frisco Bowl. It was a flop by the AAC in a warm weather destination due to the date and time for the bowl which was controlled by ESPN, plus the payout stunk. 03-puke 05-stirthepot 07-coffee3
12-10-2019 06:51 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(12-09-2019 09:00 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m probably alone in my thinking but I think rather than sending their teams to play in obscure and unexciting locales such as Mobile, Boise, NM, Montgomery, the Bahamas (great place but not for football) etc that a few tourist friendly destination cities and hosting multiple games:

Orlando (AAC stadium)
Tampa

Have you been to the Mobile Bowl? It is great, don't mess this one up. The locals support it great and it is a good city with events.
12-10-2019 09:06 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(12-10-2019 09:06 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Orlando (AAC stadium)
Tampa

Have you been to the Mobile Bowl? It is great, don't mess this one up. The locals support it great and it is a good city with events.

Mobile is a great host. I enjoyed my time there. Few days on the beach in Destin and then on to the parade and the like in Mobile. Good Fun
12-10-2019 09:13 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I doubt you get the AAC to agree to any bowl agreement with the others
12-10-2019 09:37 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
ESPN owns a lot of the crummy bowls like Frisco, Potato, Camellia. ESPN could fairly easily uproot games that they own to better locations.
12-10-2019 09:43 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-10-2019 09:37 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I doubt you get the AAC to agree to any bowl agreement with the others

The AAC already has bowl agreements with the other G5, as they play several bowls against them.

There's no need to create new unwanted bowls. Just rejigger the existing arrangements so that from time to time, we can match up conference champs.
12-10-2019 09:47 AM
panama Online
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

Orlando (AAC stadium)
Tampa

I think you had the right train of thought with MLS stadiums. You do not need more than 30k seats for most bowls and certainly for a G5 bowl.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
12-10-2019 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Online
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(12-10-2019 09:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 09:37 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I doubt you get the AAC to agree to any bowl agreement with the others

The AAC already has bowl agreements with the other G5, as they play several bowls against them.

There's no need to create new unwanted bowls. Just rejigger the existing arrangements so that from time to time, we can match up conference champs.
Chik Fil A had the right idea years ago by matching two conferences that overlap regionally. Therefore you're more likely to get two opponent who will travel to the game. It would be better for the SBC , especially SBC East to match with CUSA rather than MAC schools.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
12-10-2019 12:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF

Orlando (AAC stadium)
Tampa

I would add San Antonio to that list. The Alamodome can easily support a second bowl. The other option is to place it at Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos, halfway between San Antonio and Austin.
12-10-2019 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.