Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
He got paid
Bookmark and Share
Keeper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Exclamation He got paid
Every cent his contract promised him he earned and he was paid. He did his job (very well) and he stayed for four years. This does not make him a Memphian. Larry Finch was a Memphian, Penny Hardaway is a Memphian, hell in his way Gene Bartow was a Memphian. Norvell turned out to be a hired hand. God speed, good luck, but you are gone. Maybe you will grow to realize the mistake you made with this decision. We can only hope.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019 10:01 PM by Keeper.)
12-08-2019 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

cfrulla Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: He got paid
Pssshhhh. Way to keep it classy
12-08-2019 10:01 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Actually we could have matched what he got at FSU. Being reported $22 over 6 years.
12-08-2019 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(12-08-2019 10:05 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Actually we could have matched what he got at FSU. Being reported $22 over 6 years.

I’m fairly sure we did.
12-08-2019 10:07 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(12-08-2019 09:59 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Every cent his contract promised him he earned and he was paid. He did his job (very well) and he stayed for four years. This does not make him a Memphian. Larry Finch was a Memphian, Penny Hardaway is a Memphian, hell in his way Gene Bartow was a Memphian. Norvell turned out to be a hired hand. God speed, good luck, but you are gone. Maybe you will grow to realize the mistake you made with this decision. We can only hope.

You're too bitter over this. There are people who get Memphis and people who don't. Tubby never did and likely never would. Penny is MAF so there's no comparison. The Norvells got the city and liked it here.

When you're one of the youngest coaches in CFB, you think about long term goals.

I truly do not think he left for a payday (although I doubt he's crying in his beer tonight over $) - he left for a job that is in-line with his long term career goals.

There's absolute nothing wrong with that, especially if you leave the previous job better off than when you arrived.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019 10:32 PM by TGTiger.)
12-08-2019 10:10 PM
Briskbas Offline
Heisman

It never fails

Folks. It ends one of two ways. This is the much better way.
12-08-2019 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Crazier Offline
All American

You can't stop the inevitable. Just be happy he didn't take one of the local SEC jobs and destroy our momentum be built.
12-08-2019 10:39 PM
Penny1 Offline
2nd String

(12-08-2019 09:59 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Every cent his contract promised him he earned and he was paid. He did his job (very well) and he stayed for four years. This does not make him a Memphian. Larry Finch was a Memphian, Penny Hardaway is a Memphian, hell in his way Gene Bartow was a Memphian. Norvell turned out to be a hired hand. God speed, good luck, but you are gone. Maybe you will grow to realize the mistake you made with this decision. We can only hope.

"Unless you have lived in Memphis, you can't understand" - Mike Norvell
12-08-2019 10:40 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
If he isnt a Memphian, he is the closest thing to it.
12-08-2019 10:44 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

so you the arbiter of citizenship of Memphis ? 01-wingedeagle
12-08-2019 10:54 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
Florida State is an elite job. Mike was phenomenal here and left for a job where he will have a legit shot at the college playoffs every year. Nothing to be bitter about. He handled himself with class and represented our university in way that we should all be proud of. I wish him nothing but great success and thank him for his time here!
12-08-2019 11:21 PM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(12-08-2019 11:21 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  Florida State is an elite job. Mike was phenomenal here and left for a job where he will have a legit shot at the college playoffs every year. Nothing to be bitter about. He handled himself with class and represented our university in way that we should all be proud of. I wish him nothing but great success and thank him for his time here!

Agree. He also left us with a fine replacement. I think Ryan will do well here if given the permanent job, which I expect they will. He is ready to keep this train rolling.

Goodbye CMN. Wish you he best. Time to move on.
12-08-2019 11:37 PM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(12-08-2019 10:05 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Actually we could have matched what he got at FSU. Being reported $22 over 6 years.

07-coffee3 Hell, I would have paid him $22 over six years out of my pocket. That is really really cheap.
12-09-2019 06:53 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
I live in Florida now but I have not been a Florida State fan. I am originally from Memphis and grew up there so I will always be a Memphis fan but I guess I can also become a Florida State fan just because of coach Norvell now. I appreciate what he did for my university and my city so I was and still am a Norvell fan.
12-09-2019 06:59 AM
GottaHateUT Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Tigers
(12-08-2019 11:21 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  Florida State is an elite job. Mike was phenomenal here and left for a job where he will have a legit shot at the college playoffs every year. Nothing to be bitter about. He handled himself with class and represented our university in way that we should all be proud of. I wish him nothing but great success and thank him for his time here!

One take away from yesterday’s press conference was from AD Veatch. He said that FSU never contacted him. All of his information came from Coach Norvell. That tells me that Norvell remained above reproach and did the honorable thing by keeping our AD informed, but FSU did not. It may be a dumb unwritten rule, but it is still expected for a poaching AD to contact the current AD. This shows me that the FSU administration has no respect or class. Just my two cents worth.
12-09-2019 07:10 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
He got paid
He's not getting as much from FSU that I thought he would.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
12-09-2019 07:11 AM
Advertisement

BigBlueTiger901 Offline
2nd String

(12-09-2019 07:10 AM)GottaHateUT Wrote:  

One take away from yesterday’s press conference was from AD Veatch. He said that FSU never contacted him. All of his information came from Coach Norvell. That tells me that Norvell remained above reproach and did the honorable thing by keeping our AD informed, but FSU did not. It may be a dumb unwritten rule, but it is still expected for a poaching AD to contact the current AD. This shows me that the FSU administration has no respect or class. Just my two cents worth.

The AD is on his way out. One more year of Taggart and he would have been gone too. Norvell is there to try and save his job.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 07:58 AM by BigBlueTiger901.)
12-09-2019 07:58 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
Kind of disappointing that he left for a relatively unimpressive contract at a supposed top 10 program. Still with incentives he likely could earn up to 5 million. Really looks like Norvell just wanted out.

He had it made here, he can chase this mythical NC at a place where he will likely never be good enough.

Best of luck to him anyway. He's going to need it.
12-09-2019 08:09 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation

3.6 mill, incentives can get him over 5 mill.
12-09-2019 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TigerFan40 Offline
Bench Warmer

Florida State football is historically a top-15 (maybe higher) program in college football that has a chance to chase a national championship every season instead of chasing a "throw-in NY6 game"...the same reason Scott Frost left UCF for Nebraska (and hopefully CMN has more luck with the Seminoles than he has had).

Florida State is ripe for a new, energetic head coach to come in and revitalize the fan base and turn them back in their favor. CMN is the perfect person for that role.

My only worry is that the next Memphis head coach will have unrealistic expectations. I love Coach Silverfield and think he is above reproach (in a similar fashion to CMN), but worry that if he has a couple of 8-5 seasons (quality seasons, but the bar has been raised), will we turn on him since he may not be able to deliver on another NY6 game?
12-09-2019 08:30 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.