Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Norvell exit vs Calipari exit
Bookmark and Share
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
Norvell exit vs Calipari exit
Obviously, we won’t have a full picture until another few weeks, but it will be interesting to me to compare and contrast Mike Norvell’s exit with John Calipari’s in 2009. It will be interesting to contrast the fan’s reaction to Norvell as well.

The Calipari narrative, as told by our favorite local journalists, especially Gary Parrish, is that Memphis fans are irrational (and he regularly calls his listeners stupid) when it comes to our dislike of the winningest coach in Memphis history because he left Memphis for Kentucky. That is, of course, not the reason for our dislike—it is the way in which he left (how he thumbed his nose at us and insulted us as he left).

FSU football, though not 90’s FSU anymore, is still very much like UK basketball. We have no allusions that Memphis’ programs can compete with the history of either FSU football or UK basketball. If we are going to lose a coach, we want to lose them to a program like those.

So now we get to see how Norvell will handle leaving. My guess is that he will leave in a way that indicates he liked being a Memphian and liked being a Memphis Tiger. My guess is that instead of being hated, he will be welcomed and revered, like Gene Bartow. Calipari will never be welcomed. If he ever appears, I will boo him; his success at Memphis overshadowed by the fact that he’s just a jerk.
12-08-2019 06:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Norvell exit vs Calipari exit
I don t think there is a snow cone machine involved either.
12-08-2019 06:26 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
As far as Gary Parrish calling some of the fans irrational and stupid - just look through some of these threads.
12-08-2019 06:39 AM
Penny_Luva Offline
Banned

Big difference is we don't have the media and fans camped out in front of his home with signs and helicopters flying above. Also no free Garibaldi's pizza or Josh Pastner walking around the pool on his cell phone?
12-08-2019 06:45 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(12-08-2019 06:26 AM)UOFMGLENN Wrote:  I don t think there is a snow cone machine involved either.
Also missing is the #1 recruiting class.
12-08-2019 06:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(12-08-2019 06:45 AM)Penny_Luva Wrote:  Big difference is we don't have the media and fans camped out in front of his home with signs and helicopters flying above. Also no free Garibaldi's pizza or Josh Pastner walking around the pool on his cell phone?

For 3 days while Cal recruited our recruits (The ones with signed letters of intent) to go to Kentucky.
12-08-2019 06:53 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
The ship was sinking with all of us on board when Captain Cal left.
12-08-2019 06:58 AM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2019 06:45 AM)Penny_Luva Wrote:  Big difference is we don't have the media and fans camped out in front of his home with signs and helicopters flying above. Also no free Garibaldi's pizza or Josh Pastner walking around the pool on his cell phone?

Mike showed class through out.
Cal lied.

Only comparison needed.
12-08-2019 08:16 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
just don't use this board as the litmus test for said comparison
12-08-2019 08:18 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

The big difference is Norvell did things that have never been done here - an outright conference championship and a major traditional bowl game.

While Cal was successful, we had been to the championship game before. We had incredible teams before. We had the national spotlight before. Nothing Cal did was a first for our program.

But Norvell has taken his to heights we have never experienced before.

I hate to see him leave now, but is accomplishments actually exceed Calipari's in many ways.

This view was my son's assessment. My son is smarter than I am. I think he has this dead on correct.

Good luck, Coach Norvell. You will always be a legend here.
12-08-2019 08:33 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-08-2019 08:18 AM)k2tigers Wrote:  just don't use this board as the litmus test for said comparison

Jeez isn't that the truth. Look at some of the thread titles and posts here ... there's either some real half-wits on this board or just sad types who really need the attention.
12-08-2019 08:59 AM
Advertisement

fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
Norvell has an agreement earlier this week. Class of him to hold off.
12-08-2019 10:02 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Recruits that Calipari met while being paid by MEMPHIS need up playing for KY

We paid the freight

Everyone gets that kids like the coaches but that does not mean the coach has to allow them to come to his new job. A later transfer, maybe.

If recruits Norvell established relationships with while we were paying end up at FSU next year this would be very similar. And yes, I recognize Brady White was recruited by Norvell while he was paid by Arizona State...as an assistant. Graduate transfer feels a little different but still don’t like it.
12-08-2019 10:33 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
The same guy who said he gave Forde the high5 when Chalmers hit the three because of his disdain for Calipari...
12-08-2019 10:35 AM
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

(12-08-2019 06:49 AM)mairving Wrote:  
(12-08-2019 06:26 AM)UOFMGLENN Wrote:  I don t think there is a snow cone machine involved either.
Also missing is the #1 recruiting class.
Yes and that too.
12-08-2019 10:44 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
I appreciate that he waited to announce he was leaving...but even then it was the worst kept secret.
FSU announced during the 3rd qtr that he'd likely be named HC at noon today.
If an agreement was in Place, that meant he had met with them during the season, and accepted another job.
That part I don't care for.
Also would like to know how this plays into 'fit and family'...as he is just now flying to Tallahassee.
12-08-2019 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

All he needs to do now is pretend to break down emotionally during his press conference so he can sneak off to take a phone call from one of the kids he has been recruiting to Memphis so he can tell him to go to FSU instead.
12-08-2019 11:03 AM
selleg1 Offline
1st String

(12-08-2019 06:24 AM)micman Wrote:  Obviously, we won’t have a full picture until another few weeks, but it will be interesting to me to compare and contrast Mike Norvell’s exit with John Calipari’s in 2009. It will be interesting to contrast the fan’s reaction to Norvell as well.

The Calipari narrative, as told by our favorite local journalists, especially Gary Parrish, is that Memphis fans are irrational (and he regularly calls his listeners stupid) when it comes to our dislike of the winningest coach in Memphis history because he left Memphis for Kentucky. That is, of course, not the reason for our dislike—it is the way in which he left (how he thumbed his nose at us and insulted us as he left).

FSU football, though not 90’s FSU anymore, is still very much like UK basketball. We have no allusions that Memphis’ programs can compete with the history of either FSU football or UK basketball. If we are going to lose a coach, we want to lose them to a program like those.

So now we get to see how Norvell will handle leaving. My guess is that he will leave in a way that indicates he liked being a Memphian and liked being a Memphis Tiger. My guess is that instead of being hated, he will be welcomed and revered, like Gene Bartow. Calipari will never be welcomed. If he ever appears, I will boo him; his success at Memphis overshadowed by the fact that he’s just a jerk.

Will we feel the same way if he takes Brady wait with him?
12-08-2019 11:06 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2019 11:06 AM)selleg1 Wrote:  
(12-08-2019 06:24 AM)micman Wrote:  Obviously, we won’t have a full picture until another few weeks, but it will be interesting to me to compare and contrast Mike Norvell’s exit with John Calipari’s in 2009. It will be interesting to contrast the fan’s reaction to Norvell as well.

I dont know if many Memphis fans will be hurt over Brady.
12-08-2019 11:10 AM
danny1 Offline
All American

(12-08-2019 11:10 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(12-08-2019 11:06 AM)selleg1 Wrote:  

I dont know if many Memphis fans will be hurt over Brady.

You and Earthboundmisfit need to go off and live together on a secluded island. You deserve each other. Both candidates for worst comments of the year on our board.
12-08-2019 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.