Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
Housing is not enough
Author Message
bullet Online
Legend
*

Posts: 36,375
Joined: Apr 2012
Reputation: 1129
I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Location:
Post: #1
Housing is not enough
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/4724...ess-crisis

More expert policy fails and another example of Obama trying to deal with symptoms instead of the root cause:

"...Housing First is an approach launched under President George W. Bush and dramatically expanded into a one-size-fits-all policy under President Obama. It provides those experiencing homelessness with subsidized housing with no expectations. Under this approach, nonprofits requiring their clients to abide by accountability measures, such as pursuing sobriety or attending regular job training classes, are barred from receiving state and federal grants....

Utah, which was once lauded by Housing First advocates, initially reported reducing its homeless population by 91 percent between 2005 and 2015­. But a recent report from the state’s Legislative Auditor General found that number was based on flawed data that falsely inflated the decrease in homelessness. To add insult to injury, the homeless population in Utah has nearly doubled since 2016....

Nearly 75 percent of unsheltered people in the United States struggle with substance abuse disorders. Giving them a roof over their head without expecting them to address the root causes of their homelessness robs them of their inherent dignity and the opportunity to reach their full potential. Secretary Carson has a unique opportunity to lead the nation in solving the growing homelessness crisis. His first step should be reforming HUD’s Housing First policy and embracing innovative programs that put people first by expecting more of them than mere survival."

I would add that many of those 75% and a lot of the remaining 25% have mental health issues.
12-03-2019 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

stinkfist Offline
laughing at MSM meltdown
*

Posts: 45,330
Joined: Nov 2011
Reputation: 2431
I Root For: StL Blues
Location: who knows?
Post: #2
RE: Housing is not enough
(12-03-2019 09:37 AM)bullet Wrote:  https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/4724...ess-crisis

More expert policy fails and another example of Obama trying to deal with symptoms instead of the root cause:

"...Housing First is an approach launched under President George W. Bush and dramatically expanded into a one-size-fits-all policy under President Obama. It provides those experiencing homelessness with subsidized housing with no expectations. Under this approach, nonprofits requiring their clients to abide by accountability measures, such as pursuing sobriety or attending regular job training classes, are barred from receiving state and federal grants....

Utah, which was once lauded by Housing First advocates, initially reported reducing its homeless population by 91 percent between 2005 and 2015­. But a recent report from the state’s Legislative Auditor General found that number was based on flawed data that falsely inflated the decrease in homelessness. To add insult to injury, the homeless population in Utah has nearly doubled since 2016....

Nearly 75 percent of unsheltered people in the United States struggle with substance abuse disorders. Giving them a roof over their head without expecting them to address the root causes of their homelessness robs them of their inherent dignity and the opportunity to reach their full potential. Secretary Carson has a unique opportunity to lead the nation in solving the growing homelessness crisis. His first step should be reforming HUD’s Housing First policy and embracing innovative programs that put people first by expecting more of them than mere survival."

I would add that many of those 75% and a lot of the remaining 25% have mental health issues.

it's been a failed 'state' from LBJ's great society to Nixon's carnage with the war on drugs....

the rest only walked 'stock in step'....they were all fk'n clueless how to combat the real issues...

I've watched it happen during my existence on this strata....

#puppiesThatGoWoofWoof
12-03-2019 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 7,256
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation: 128
I Root For: Rice Owls
Location:

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Post: #3
RE: Housing is not enough
Spot on.

We talked about this in the thread on LA building those ridiculous storage container structures. My wife and I have been volunteering and donating in LA/Orange County homeless communities for 15 years. The number of homeless folks suffering from substance abuse and/or mental illness is closer to 90% here. This is not a guess - I can't find a link right now but this number is from published studies. The very small fraction of able-bodied but unlucky homeless certainly could benefit from a roof and support to get back on their feet but for the vastly larger community, providing storage containers to live in, or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, punishing them, is never going to fix this. Treatment is the first and foremost need. Unfortunately, we have neither the facilities nor the will to build them.
12-03-2019 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2019 MyBB Group.