Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
James Wiseman to make eligibility appeal to NCAA on Wednesday
Bookmark and Share
rc0213 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB James Wiseman to make eligibility appeal to NCAA on Wednesday
"Following the NCAA's decision to suspend James Wiseman for 12 games on Nov. 20, the University of Memphis immediately appealed the decision. On Wednesday, the appeal hearing for Wiseman's suspension will take place, according to multiple sources close to the situation."

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Ar...phisTigers
11-26-2019 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
RE: James Wiseman to make eligibility appeal to NCAA on Wednesday
Is there an echo in here?
11-26-2019 07:26 PM
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
HELLO HEllo hello.........h e l l o
11-26-2019 07:31 PM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

How does the appeal process work? i.e. is the university arguing the appeal on Wiseman's behalf? Is it Wiseman's lawyers making the appeal?

At some point I would think the appeal proceedings will be available to the public, either released by the NCAA or through FOI request?
11-27-2019 01:02 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

(11-27-2019 01:02 AM)JhanJo Wrote:  How does the appeal process work? i.e. is the university arguing the appeal on Wiseman's behalf? Is it Wiseman's lawyers making the appeal?

At some point I would think the appeal proceedings will be available to the public, either released by the NCAA or through FOI request?

The appeal process works like this: "Oh, you're from Memphis? Get the f out of here. Appeal denied."
11-27-2019 06:15 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I would be surprised to see a reduction but there is an outside chance.

The situation is the same as two guys picked up on the same charge by the police. One agrees to a plea bargain and gets a lesser sentence while the other demands a trial and gets a stiffer sentence, then appeals because the other guy got off easier.

The decision to file the lawsuit was a major factor in the length of the suspension. If we had sat him his penalty would have been the usual 9 games and he would have served over half of them by now.
11-27-2019 06:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies
A lot of you thought we were going to lose to Ole Miss, so
11-27-2019 08:10 AM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

they'll probably double the number of games he's out on appeal.
11-27-2019 08:16 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

James Wiseman to make eligibility appeal to NCAA on Wednesday
(11-27-2019 06:57 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  I would be surprised to see a reduction but there is an outside chance.

The situation is the same as two guys picked up on the same charge by the police. One agrees to a plea bargain and gets a lesser sentence while the other demands a trial and gets a stiffer sentence, then appeals because the other guy got off easier.

The decision to file the lawsuit was a major factor in the length of the suspension. If we had sat him his penalty would have been the usual 9 games and he would have served over half of them by now.

People keep saying stuff like this, but you have no clue what would have happened. The NCAA told us nothing on the front end (in terms of punishment). Games had already started and they hadn’t made a concrete decision. For all you know, had it not gone to court, James could be sitting out and still waiting on a ruling.

Odd that our own fans point to the supposed poor decisions of the player/university, but ignore the part the NCAA had to play in this.
11-27-2019 08:20 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
I was scratching head as to why the NCAA took 19 weeks to throw the book at Missouri.

Then I realized their crime was hiring Barry Odom.
11-27-2019 08:40 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(11-27-2019 08:20 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  
(11-27-2019 06:57 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  I would be surprised to see a reduction but there is an outside chance.

People keep saying stuff like this, but you have no clue what would have happened. The NCAA told us nothing on the front end (in terms of punishment). Games had already started and they hadn’t made a concrete decision. For all you know, had it not gone to court, James could be sitting out and still waiting on a ruling.

Odd that our own fans point to the supposed poor decisions of the player/university, but ignore the part the NCAA had to play in this.

Exactly! No one knows what would have happened.
11-27-2019 09:08 AM
Advertisement

tkgrrett Offline
All American

Your description is completely wrong.. in the legal system the guy (if he has resources) hires a lawyer to NEGOTIATE the plea bargain before he even has to make a decision to plea or go to trial. His lawyer is able to talk back and forth with the legal authorities and gather information on likely punishment and chances of success.

The NCAA situation would be like the police pulling you over and telling you that you (or someone in your family) committed some difficult to define crime sometime in the laat 4 years and your choice is either 1) plea guilty now and face 6 months to 10 years in prison or 2) ask questions and face 7 months to 10 years in prison. Being penalized for asking questions convert everything into a presumption of guilt - you are presumed guilty until PROVEN innocent. That is an insane bar to put on kids against a multi-billion dollar industry.

Literally most of the rules of police engagement were created because of the recognition that the NCAA situation is entirely unfair and unjust. Even still, our system of plea bargaining is recognized as one of the greatest injustices around against minorities and the poor.
11-27-2019 09:20 AM
tigergeorge55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U OF M
MyBB RE: James Wiseman to make eligibility appeal to NCAA on Wednesday
(11-27-2019 06:15 AM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  
(11-27-2019 01:02 AM)JhanJo Wrote:  How does the appeal process work? i.e. is the university arguing the appeal on Wiseman's behalf? Is it Wiseman's lawyers making the appeal?

The appeal process works like this: "Oh, you're from Memphis? Get the f out of here. Appeal denied."

03-lmfao
11-27-2019 12:19 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

I’d love to see the appeal to where the coaches could decide what games he could sit out and not. If he still has to sit out, then what’s the difference of the amount of games that the coaches chooses? It’s all still the same amount of games, no matter which ones they are.
11-27-2019 12:23 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina

Missouri begs to differ.
11-27-2019 12:24 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
11/20/2019
James Wiseman ruled ineligible, Memphis in big trouble.
6/15/2021
NCAA/IARP/dingleberries still unable to determine what punishment to give Memphis
573 days ago, nearly 6,000,000 people have been born and about 7,000,000 people have died in the USA since that day.
beyond ridiculous!
06-15-2021 01:25 PM
Advertisement

DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-15-2021 01:25 PM)cmt Wrote:  11/20/2019
6/15/2021
NCAA/IARP/dingleberries still unable to determine what punishment to give Memphis
573 days ago, nearly 6,000,000 people have been born and about 7,000,000 people have died in the USA since that day.
beyond ridiculous!
Wiseman ought to sue the NCAA. They cost him All American honors, All Conference honors, a shot at the NCAA Tournament, damaged his reputation, failed to act properly with his suspension, failed to give him due process, punished a person who did not commit a crime, etc, etc.
06-15-2021 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CKMcDan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-15-2021 01:29 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  
6/15/2021
beyond ridiculous!
Wiseman ought to sue the NCAA. They cost him All American honors, All Conference honors, a shot at the NCAA Tournament, damaged his reputation, failed to act properly with his suspension, failed to give him due process, punished a person who did not commit a crime, etc, etc.

There was no 2020 NCAA tournament, and Wiseman was the #2 overall pick in the 2020 NBA draft. It's difficult to quantify any damages Wiseman suffered due to the NCAA's actions (or inaction).
06-15-2021 01:43 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(06-15-2021 01:43 PM)CKMcDan Wrote:  
6/15/2021
beyond ridiculous!

There was no 2020 NCAA tournament, and Wiseman was the #2 overall pick in the 2020 NBA draft. It's difficult to quantify any damages Wiseman suffered due to the NCAA's actions (or inaction).

I would argue the opposite. Zion Williamson signed a $75 million shoe contract. Anthony Edwards signed with Adidas; Wiseman with a Chinese company. Being the #2 pick instead of the #1 pick is worth $3 million alone.

It is hard to quantify emotional damage from the missed opportunity, the NCAA not acting in good faith, and Wiseman not actually benefitting from the improper benefit. That doesn't mean that lawyers won't be able to come up with a big fat round figure.
06-15-2021 01:54 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

6/15/2021
beyond ridiculous!

If you worked for Bernie Madoff or Theranos when their Leaders where committing crimes...Wouldn't you be being punished and you didn't commit a crime.

I don't think you could sue the government for enforcing the laws on the leaders of those companies...Just like I don't think you can sue the NCAA for enforcing its bylaws.

Nothing will come of this review because Wisemans self imposed sanctions were greater than any sanction that the NCAA would have imposed for the impermissible benefits.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021 02:00 PM by macgar32.)
06-15-2021 01:59 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.