Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hypothetical: FBS playoffs using the FCS formula
TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
So I was reading about the FCS brackets today for their playoff format.

https://fbschedules.com/fcs-playoffs-201...-released/

All league winners are automatically entered into the playoff. Then the top 8 seeds get a bye. The next 16 teams (14 of them are at large) go head to head with the winners already paired off to visit a bye team in the second round (example: Kennesaw State/Wofford winner at Weber State).

Not getting into a discussion about the value of the bowls (that's a separate topic), how do you think it would work with an FBS playoff system in this format? For this season, who would be the top 8? Who would be the next 16? Would this generate more interest among college football fans in an actual post season?
11-25-2019 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Hypothetical: FBS playoffs using the FCS formula
P5 Champs
Top G5 team
2 at-large's

As a G5 fan who can't stand the P5, I'd be fine w/ that.

I definitely agree the more teams you add, the more a Bye is needed for the top seeds.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019 05:49 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-25-2019 05:48 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-25-2019 05:48 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  P5 Champs
Top G5 team
2 at-large's

I definitely agree the more teams you add, the more a Bye is needed for the top seeds.

That 5-1-2 formula just seems like it strikes the right blance and tends to solve most of the biggest issues with the current system. It makes the P5 conference races important and rewards the champions. For the first time you can simply win your way into the playoff without the help of a subjective beauty contest judge. It provides real legit playoff access for the G5---and as a by product--also makes those G5 conference races important. Finally, it opens up TWO wildcard slots for deserving non-champions or indy teams without sending a P5 champion to the showers. Its just a good solid system. Yes, its not perfect---but its a compromise that would keep most college football fans (both P5 and G5) reasonably happy and content.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019 07:17 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-25-2019 07:16 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
5-1-2 also keeps more teams in the thick of it and in the running for a national title later in the season. With the CCGs effectively serving as play in games it gives fan bases a reason To hope.
11-25-2019 08:16 PM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(11-25-2019 04:54 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  So I was reading about the FCS brackets today for their playoff format.

All league winners are automatically entered into the playoff. Then the top 8 seeds get a bye. The next 16 teams (14 of them are at large) go head to head with the winners already paired off to visit a bye team in the second round (example: Kennesaw State/Wofford winner at Weber State).

Not getting into a discussion about the value of the bowls (that's a separate topic), how do you think it would work with an FBS playoff system in this format? For this season, who would be the top 8? Who would be the next 16? Would this generate more interest among college football fans in an actual post season?

I like this idea. I honestly think you could use the top 23 bowls as hosts for that playoff format, & maybe you still find a way to have bowl games for other teams, or switch out the bowl games each year, something like that to maintain FBS as being something special above just being a high-caliber FCS (bc if we just copy the FCS's system, that's exactly what we're becoming).

I'm thinking something like this:

Championship: Rose Bowl
Semifinals: Sugar & Orange Bowls
Quarterfinals: Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, & Citrus Bowls
Second Round: Gator, Liberty, Outback, Alamo, Sun, Holiday, Independence, & Copper Bowls
First Round: Camping World, Las Vegas, Famous Idaho, Armed Forces, Birmingham, Belk, New Mexico, & Hawaii Bowls

The current NY6 bowls will switch between the Quarterfinals, Semifinals, & Championship each year.
The Citrus, Gator, Liberty, Outback, & Alamo Bowls will switch out for the final Quarterfinal game each year, while the remaining Second Round games remain locked in place.
All other bowl games will switch out in the first round each year, though there can be no state/country (Bahamas) with more than one bowl game represented in the first round each year.

The remaining 16 bowls each year can then choose to invite any two teams that would have qualified for a bowl game under our current system, giving good non-playoff teams the chance to play for something & keep up the bowl system, or they could even create an NIT-type playoff & all but one of the bowl games will host one game.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019 10:11 AM by Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51.)
11-26-2019 10:07 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I was a 5-1-2 fan for a long time but I really think 16 is the way to go (with it being 5-1-10).

The bowl games are just bad right now and an expanded playoff would bring so much more meaning to the sport in November when, as it currently stands, only about 8 schools are still in it.
11-26-2019 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(11-26-2019 10:07 AM)Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Wrote:  
(11-25-2019 04:54 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  So I was reading about the FCS brackets today for their playoff format.

I like this idea. I honestly think you could use the top 23 bowls as hosts for that playoff format, & maybe you still find a way to have bowl games for other teams, or switch out the bowl games each year, something like that to maintain FBS as being something special above just being a high-caliber FCS (bc if we just copy the FCS's system, that's exactly what we're becoming).

I'm thinking something like this:

Championship: Rose Bowl
Semifinals: Sugar & Orange Bowls
Quarterfinals: Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, & Citrus Bowls
Second Round: Gator, Liberty, Outback, Alamo, Sun, Holiday, Independence, & Copper Bowls
First Round: Camping World, Las Vegas, Famous Idaho, Armed Forces, Birmingham, Belk, New Mexico, & Hawaii Bowls

The current NY6 bowls will switch between the Quarterfinals, Semifinals, & Championship each year.
The Citrus, Gator, Liberty, Outback, & Alamo Bowls will switch out for the final Quarterfinal game each year, while the remaining Second Round games remain locked in place.
All other bowl games will switch out in the first round each year, though there can be no state/country (Bahamas) with more than one bowl game represented in the first round each year.

The remaining 16 bowls each year can then choose to invite any two teams that would have qualified for a bowl game under our current system, giving good non-playoff teams the chance to play for something & keep up the bowl system, or they could even create an NIT-type playoff & all but one of the bowl games will host one game.

Using bowl game sites is a bad idea until maybe the final 4. The first 2 rounds in a 16 team playoff should be at the higher seeds stadium.
11-26-2019 02:51 PM
App State Nation Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State

First 2 rounds at higher seed. Six "Bowl" games for quarterfinals and semis. CFP Championship at Neutral site.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019 02:59 PM by App State Nation.)
11-26-2019 02:58 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If you are going to utilize bowls need to build breaks in to permit fans time to travel.

This year something like this:
Round one on December14
Round two on December 21
Semis Jan 4
Final Jan 18
11-26-2019 03:04 PM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(11-26-2019 03:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If you are going to utilize bowls need to build breaks in to permit fans time to travel.

Round one on December14
Round two on December 21
Semis Jan 4
Final Jan 18

A good idea
11-26-2019 03:14 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(11-26-2019 03:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If you are going to utilize bowls need to build breaks in to permit fans time to travel.

Round one on December14
Round two on December 21
Semis Jan 4
Final Jan 18

Close more like: (16 teams, 10 conference champs, 6 at-large)
1st Rd Dec. 14 (On-Campus)
2nd Rd Dec. 21 (On-Campus)
Jan. 1 Final Four (Just like Now)
Jan. 13 National Championship
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019 03:43 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
11-26-2019 03:36 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Top G5 team
2 at-large's

Straight 8 is better, but if we are going to have guaranteed P5 and a guaranteed G5, then no beauty contests, have the G5 champs play each other for the G5 spot.
11-26-2019 03:55 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
What if you merged the CCGs with more of a NCAAB-style tournament? So, no CCGs. Play-In round for the lowest conference champs and wild card teams.

Each region is filled mostly with teams from conferences that have the historic ties to the relevant bowl game that hosts the Regional Finals (national quarterfinals). Ie, Sugar Bowl involves mostly SEC and B12 schools; Rose Bowl involves mostly B1G and PAC schools; Orange Bowl involves mostly ACC, SEC, and/or B1G schools. The fourth bowl (Cotton Bowl) involves the at large Wild Card schools.

PLAY-IN
December 6-7
Play-In 1: Florida Atlantic @ Appalachian State
Play-In 2: Western Michigan @ Boise State
Wild Card 1: Oregon @ Wisconsin
Wild Card 2: Notre Dame @ Penn State

ROUND 1
December 13-14

SOUTH REGION (Sugar Bowl)
(4)Play-In 1 @ (1)LSU
(3)Baylor @ (2)Oklahoma

Winners play quarterfinal in Sugar Bowl

WEST REGION (Rose Bowl)
(4)Play-In 2 @ (1)Ohio State
(3)Minnesota @ (2)Utah

Winners play quarterfinal in Rose Bowl

EAST REGION (Orange Bowl)
(4)Memphis @ (1)Clemson
(3)Michigan @ (2)Florida

Winners play quarterfinal in Orange Bowl

CENTRAL REGION (Cotton Bowl)
(4)Wild Card 1 @ (1)Georgia
(3)Wild Card 2 @ (2)Alabama

Winners play quarterfinal in Cotton Bowl

Quarterfinal Winners play in semifinal CFP games at pre-determined venues (future or past CFP National Championship sites)
11-26-2019 06:30 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
I like that ^^^
11-26-2019 06:42 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Make it happen.
11-28-2019 11:52 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-26-2019 06:30 PM)YNot Wrote:  What if you merged the CCGs with more of a NCAAB-style tournament? So, no CCGs. Play-In round for the lowest conference champs and wild card teams.

Each region is filled mostly with teams from conferences that have the historic ties to the relevant bowl game that hosts the Regional Finals (national quarterfinals). Ie, Sugar Bowl involves mostly SEC and B12 schools; Rose Bowl involves mostly B1G and PAC schools; Orange Bowl involves mostly ACC, SEC, and/or B1G schools. The fourth bowl (Cotton Bowl) involves the at large Wild Card schools.

PLAY-IN
December 6-7
Play-In 1: Florida Atlantic @ Appalachian State
Play-In 2: Western Michigan @ Boise State
Wild Card 1: Oregon @ Wisconsin
Wild Card 2: Notre Dame @ Penn State

ROUND 1
December 13-14

SOUTH REGION (Sugar Bowl)
(4)Play-In 1 @ (1)LSU
(3)Baylor @ (2)Oklahoma

Winners play quarterfinal in Sugar Bowl

WEST REGION (Rose Bowl)
(4)Play-In 2 @ (1)Ohio State
(3)Minnesota @ (2)Utah

Winners play quarterfinal in Rose Bowl

EAST REGION (Orange Bowl)
(4)Memphis @ (1)Clemson
(3)Michigan @ (2)Florida

Winners play quarterfinal in Orange Bowl

CENTRAL REGION (Cotton Bowl)
(4)Wild Card 1 @ (1)Georgia
(3)Wild Card 2 @ (2)Alabama

Winners play quarterfinal in Cotton Bowl

Quarterfinal Winners play in semifinal CFP games at pre-determined venues (future or past CFP National Championship sites)

Not bad, but you'd have to have Mempis in the play-in round too. It would be crazy to have them get a bye over teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, Oregon, and Wisky.
11-28-2019 12:52 PM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(11-25-2019 07:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
Top G5 team
2 at-large's

That 5-1-2 formula just seems like it strikes the right blance and tends to solve most of the biggest issues with the current system. It makes the P5 conference races important and rewards the champions. For the first time you can simply win your way into the playoff without the help of a subjective beauty contest judge. It provides real legit playoff access for the G5---and as a by product--also makes those G5 conference races important. Finally, it opens up TWO wildcard slots for deserving non-champions or indy teams without sending a P5 champion to the showers. Its just a good solid system. Yes, its not perfect---but its a compromise that would keep most college football fans (both P5 and G5) reasonably happy and content.

Also if there are two unbeaten G5’s there is still the potential for the right dominoes to fall and get the second one in
11-28-2019 11:58 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Why should any G5 be automatically given a spot?

Do they bring money? Not compared to a power school. Ditto fans. And most years none are even top 10 in the polls. So why a special deal?

Just take the top 8 schools.
12-01-2019 03:22 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation RE: Hypothetical: FBS playoffs using the FCS formula

I think giving the top 8 seeds is to much of an advantage due to the culmination of injuries. I say 16 is the optimal number of teams. Take the ten FBS Conference Champions and then let the CFP Committee select the next six. Therefore, teams can control their own destiny by winning their own conference and at least get a second chance if they lose it but had and impressive season.

Then use the bowls as previously stated to house the playoff rounds.
12-02-2019 08:08 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation RE: Hypothetical: FBS playoffs using the FCS formula
(11-26-2019 03:36 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  

Round one on December 14
Round two on December 21
Semis Jan 4
Final Jan 18

Close more like: (16 teams, 10 conference champs, 6 at-large)
1st Rd Dec. 14 (On-Campus)
2nd Rd Dec. 21 (On-Campus)
Jan. 1 Final Four (Just like Now)
Jan. 13 National Championship

I proposed something similar a couple of years ago. However, I would have all the games played in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Charlotte, Nashville, and Indianapolis because of the dome. They need to be good weather sites.
12-02-2019 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.