UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trustees approve plans to more than double the size of the UAB Athletics Board
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
Trustees approve plans to more than double the size of the UAB Athletics Board
I just stumbled across this news story in a very odd place. The Apalachicola (FL) Times. As far as I can tell, this news story does not appear anywhere else online. Certainly nowhere remotely local has covered this. Wonder why?

https://www.apalachtimes.com/news/201911...e-of-board

The athletics foundation was founded in 2015 with 24 members, the new revision defines the size of the board as no fewer than 5 and not more than 75 members with no term limits.

The UA board of trustees passed two resolutions on Friday approving revisions to the foundation’s bylaws to increase the number of foundation board members and expand the role of the board’s executive committee.

The board approved 38 appointments to the foundation board and 12 to the board executive committee. About half of the names approved on Friday were existing members of the board.

Executive Committee
Allen Bolton - UAB Sr. VP of Finance
Justin Craft - Nowlin and Associates Inc.
Thomas H. Brigham Jr. - ARC Realty LLC
T. Michael Goodrich II, - First Avenue Ventures
M. Miller Gorrie - Brasfield & Gorrie LLC
Barbara Humphrey - Trustee
James C. Lee III - Buffalo Rock Co.
Hatton CV Smith - Royal Cup Inc.
W. Stancil Starnes - Trustee
Merrill H. Stewart Jr. - Stewart/Perry Construction
Finis E. St. John IV - UA System Chancellor
Ray Watts - UAB President

Board Members
Robert Buchalter, Capital Growth Buchalter Inc.
Anil Chadha, Regions Bank
Hafiz F. Chandiwala, Coca-Cola Bottling Co. United
Zack Cloud, Goldman and Sachs.
Daniel Dillon, Rives Construction
James J. Filler, Jefferson Iron and Metal Co.
Wes Foss, Perimeter Security Partners
Brooks Harris, Harris Doyle Homes
Donald M. Hire, Armstrong Relocation Co.
William R. Ireland Jr., National Bank of Commerce
Joe Maluff, Full Moon BBQ
Emmett McClean, Medical Properties Trust
Joseph L. McGee, Legacy Community Federal Credit Union
Danny McKinney, McKinney Capital
Garrett McNeil, JGM Development Co.
Charles E. Nowlin, Nowlin & Associates
H. Craft O’Neal, O’Neal Industries
Tremele D. Perry, Perry Law LLC
Michael F. Pizitz, Pizitz Management
Harold W. Ripps, Rime Capital Account
David L. Silverstein, Bayer Properties
Houston Smith, Alabama Power
Michael D. Thompson, Thompson Tractor Co.
Bryant Turner, ARC Realty
John Whitcomb, Red Mountain Medical
Randall Woodfin, Mayor of Birmingham
11-13-2019 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
RE: Trustees approve plans to more than double the size of the UAB Athletics Board
Still find it disgusting that Finis is on the UAB Athletics Board. 03-puke
11-13-2019 12:31 PM
blazer-J Offline
2nd String

RE: Trustees approve plans to more than double the size of the UAB Athletics Board
That is strange that wasn't covered by the local media.

There were some good additions to the board.
11-13-2019 12:33 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Quite ridiculous to have that many on a board that was just created to make sure that the UA BOT doesn't abuse us.

Alabama brings in probably $140 million a year for football and doesn't have that type of involvement.
11-13-2019 02:12 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Looks good to me. Five of the "Gang of 7" that did the heavy lifting in fundraising for football's return are on the executive committee. The two trustees are two of the better ones to be on there - Humphreys (former UAB athlete) and Starnes (CEO of a big Bham business). I'm not a fan of St John being on there, but maybe we've been more successful recently with softening him - I know he was at the bowl game last year, has been to two home games this year, and supported UAB's financing piece of the stadium.

As for the rest of the board, looks like a good list of business leaders from around town. Can only be a good thing to have that roster of people engaged with UAB athletics.

A question for those who may know - what exactly is the role of the foundation? Just there as a fundraising arm or do they have any other duties/powers?
11-13-2019 02:50 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

(11-13-2019 02:50 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Looks good to me. Five of the "Gang of 7" that did the heavy lifting in fundraising for football's return are on the executive committee. The two trustees are two of the better ones to be on there - Humphreys (former UAB athlete) and Starnes (CEO of a big Bham business). I'm not a fan of St John being on there, but maybe we've been more successful recently with softening him - I know he was at the bowl game last year, has been to two home games this year, and supported UAB's financing piece of the stadium.

As for the rest of the board, looks like a good list of business leaders from around town. Can only be a good thing to have that roster of people engaged with UAB athletics.

A question for those who may know - what exactly is the role of the foundation? Just there as a fundraising arm or do they have any other duties/powers?

Was ***** St John at the bowl game because UAB was there or because it was in Boca Raton Florida in December? who paid for his trip? did he stay at a resort with his family during that trip?
11-13-2019 03:20 PM
Advertisement

biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
This was a very interesting (not to mention obscure) find. I have to believe that expanding the foundation board is a positive, you don't bring more people in unless you need the connections and resources they bring. You don't bring in the mayor unless you need the political connections.

As far as why it wasn't reported, not a clue
11-13-2019 04:14 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2019 03:20 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  [
Was ***** St John at the bowl game because UAB was there or because it was in Boca Raton Florida in December? who paid for his trip? did he stay at a resort with his family during that trip?

Who cares?? He is on there because he is Chancellor. He is outnumbered and clearly out-muscled and his influence will be minimal henceforth IMHO. I could care less if he never attends any UAB sports ( or other ) activities. We gain nothing from folks there who really have no interest in the outcome,, they only 'gain' by having their attendance recognized and attributed as support, which it actually isnt.
11-13-2019 04:22 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

(11-13-2019 04:22 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 03:20 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  [

Who cares?? He is on there because he is Chancellor. He is outnumbered and clearly out-muscled and his influence will be minimal henceforth IMHO. I could care less if he never attends any UAB sports ( or other ) activities. We gain nothing from folks there who really have no interest in the outcome,, they only 'gain' by having their attendance recognized and attributed as support, which it actually isnt.

i don't care. I guess HooverBlazer cared. I was just giving my theory why an enemy of the UAB program was walking around in Boca Raton in December.

How do you know his influence is minimal? are you a board spy or something?
11-13-2019 04:48 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(11-13-2019 04:14 PM)biglizard Wrote:  This was a very interesting (not to mention obscure) find. I have to believe that expanding the foundation board is a positive, you don't bring more people in unless you need the connections and resources they bring. You don't bring in the mayor unless you need the political connections.

Imagine the extra chaos that would go on should we decide that we want to make a really big move.

Now you have 100 people to run it through versus half a dozen or so.

If we are pressed for time in a certain case this here could leave us stranded.
11-13-2019 05:02 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-13-2019 05:02 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 04:14 PM)biglizard Wrote:  This was a very interesting (not to mention obscure) find. I have to believe that expanding the foundation board is a positive, you don't bring more people in unless you need the connections and resources they bring. You don't bring in the mayor unless you need the political connections.

Imagine the extra chaos that would go on should we decide that we want to make a really big move.

Now you have 100 people to run it through versus half a dozen or so.

If we are pressed for time in a certain case this here could leave us stranded.

I have to believe that this was done with the understanding that it is preparation for some move. People don't volunteer for something like this unless there's at least a tacit knowledge of the end game
11-13-2019 05:06 PM
Advertisement

BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
No inside knowledge here, but this may be as simple as us giving businesses who have donated big $$$ more skin in the game.
11-13-2019 05:21 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(11-13-2019 05:21 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  No inside knowledge here, but this may be as simple as us giving businesses who have donated big $$$ more skin in the game.

That is how I interpreted the move.
11-13-2019 05:31 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I like Finis being on there. He might keep Ingram from making a stupid hire when Clark leaves.
11-13-2019 06:37 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
To me only thing is the massive # of people - should that many people be on the board? Are they only "honorary" members being rewarded as Matt replied above?
11-13-2019 07:36 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(11-13-2019 06:37 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  I like Finis being on there. He might keep Ingram from making a stupid hire when Clark leaves.

Like Neil Callaway?
11-13-2019 07:42 PM
Advertisement

DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Maybe those companies will get all those too few desirable seats in the shade on the home side? 03-lmfao

...but seriously, I hope we don't have a situation in the new stadium like in Bartow where the best seats go empty much of the time because they are corporate or big donor owned.
11-14-2019 10:10 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(11-14-2019 10:10 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  Maybe those companies will get all those too few desirable seats in the shade on the home side? 03-lmfao

...but seriously, I hope we don't have a situation in the new stadium like in Bartow where the best seats go empty much of the time because they are corporate or big donor owned.

Don’t worry those will be in the suites so you won’t be able to see the empty seats. At one point about ten rows in front of the suites were going to be for them to use if they feel like sitting outside. If that’s still the case some of those would be empty. Which accounts for about a third of the prime seats. I have no idea if that is still the plan
11-14-2019 01:32 PM
Steel Dragon Offline
2nd String

(11-13-2019 03:20 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 02:50 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Looks good to me. Five of the "Gang of 7" that did the heavy lifting in fundraising for football's return are on the executive committee. The two trustees are two of the better ones to be on there - Humphreys (former UAB athlete) and Starnes (CEO of a big Bham business). I'm not a fan of St John being on there, but maybe we've been more successful recently with softening him - I know he was at the bowl game last year, has been to two home games this year, and supported UAB's financing piece of the stadium.

The majority of the Board of Trustees were at the Boca Raton Bowl. The reason they were there was because Alabama played the semi game a few weeks later and they got to look at party spots basically. That was fine. My understanding is they spoke highly of the team.
11-14-2019 07:02 PM
josephblazer2770 Offline
Banned

(11-13-2019 12:01 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  I just stumbled across this news story in a very odd place. The Apalachicola (FL) Times. As far as I can tell, this news story does not appear anywhere else online. Certainly nowhere remotely local has covered this. Wonder why?

https://www.apalachtimes.com/news/201911...e-of-board

The athletics foundation was founded in 2015 with 24 members, the new revision defines the size of the board as no fewer than 5 and not more than 75 members with no term limits.

The UA board of trustees passed two resolutions on Friday approving revisions to the foundation’s bylaws to increase the number of foundation board members and expand the role of the board’s executive committee.

The board approved 38 appointments to the foundation board and 12 to the board executive committee. About half of the names approved on Friday were existing members of the board.

Executive Committee
Allen Bolton - UAB Sr. VP of Finance
Justin Craft - Nowlin and Associates Inc.
Thomas H. Brigham Jr. - ARC Realty LLC
T. Michael Goodrich II, - First Avenue Ventures
M. Miller Gorrie - Brasfield & Gorrie LLC
Barbara Humphrey - Trustee
James C. Lee III - Buffalo Rock Co.
Hatton CV Smith - Royal Cup Inc.
W. Stancil Starnes - Trustee
Merrill H. Stewart Jr. - Stewart/Perry Construction
Finis E. St. John IV - UA System Chancellor
Ray Watts - UAB President

Board Members
Robert Buchalter, Capital Growth Buchalter Inc.
Anil Chadha, Regions Bank
Hafiz F. Chandiwala, Coca-Cola Bottling Co. United
Zack Cloud, Goldman and Sachs.
Daniel Dillon, Rives Construction
James J. Filler, Jefferson Iron and Metal Co.
Wes Foss, Perimeter Security Partners
Brooks Harris, Harris Doyle Homes
Donald M. Hire, Armstrong Relocation Co.
William R. Ireland Jr., National Bank of Commerce
Joe Maluff, Full Moon BBQ
Emmett McClean, Medical Properties Trust
Joseph L. McGee, Legacy Community Federal Credit Union
Danny McKinney, McKinney Capital
Garrett McNeil, JGM Development Co.
Charles E. Nowlin, Nowlin & Associates
H. Craft O’Neal, O’Neal Industries
Tremele D. Perry, Perry Law LLC
Michael F. Pizitz, Pizitz Management
Harold W. Ripps, Rime Capital Account
David L. Silverstein, Bayer Properties
Houston Smith, Alabama Power
Michael D. Thompson, Thompson Tractor Co.
Bryant Turner, ARC Realty
John Whitcomb, Red Mountain Medical
Randall Woodfin, Mayor of Birmingham

Know the Blazers need Walt Maddox Lance Swanner and Coker Cleveland. Don't leave out Pat Smith( He, Is a figure from the Blazers and pretty good on Radio he has been doing it for 20 years).
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019 01:57 PM by josephblazer2770.)
11-15-2019 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.