Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFB Rankings...
Bookmark and Share
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
CFB Rankings...
Cincy at #17, Memphis at #18. Minny the big winner moving up nine spots to #7. Utah at #6.

11-12-2019 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: CFB Rankings...
Seems about right for Cincinnati. Just have to keep winning. Both Memphis and Cincinnati put a little distance between themselves and Boise State.

Also noticed App State has now entered the top 25 (#25). I personally believe a 2 loss AAC champ would deserve to be in ahead of a 1 loss App State, but it doesn’t seem clear if the committee would agree.

11-12-2019 08:08 PM
ladeda Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC
(11-12-2019 08:08 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  Seems about right for Cincinnati. Just have to keep winning. Both Memphis and Cincinnati put a little distance between themselves and Boise State.

Also noticed App State has now entered the top 25 (#25). I personally believe a 2 loss AAC champ would deserve to be in ahead of a 1 loss App State, but it doesn’t seem clear if the committee would agree.

I saw something the other day that the AAC was the 4th strongest football conference this year. No way should App State beat out a 2 loss AAC team this year. I wouldn't worry about it all.

11-12-2019 08:24 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I would have been worried about an undefeated App State but think they would need a 3 loss American champ to get in now. They might beat a 2 loss Mountain West champ, but don't see them ahead of a 2 loss American champ based on how things have played out. I do think a 1 loss Boise State would probably beat out a 2 loss American champ which is the biggest threat to the American right now (although I do think its possible a 2 loss team could beat a 1 loss Boise in some circumstances).

11-12-2019 08:39 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Can someone explain to me why Texas is even ranked in the CFP? They are 6-3 and ranked #19. They've lost to LSU [no problem there], Oklahoma [at home], and TCU [on the road]. It looks like their best wins are La Tech, Okie St, and Kansas St.

#20 Iowa is a similar story. 6-3 and losses to Michigan, Penn St, and Wisky. Their wins include Buttgers, Middle Tenn St, Purdue and NW. Not exactly a murderers row.

I get they are in P5 conferences but they each have 3 [THREE] losses with no impressive wins on their resume. Plus, essentially they are granted 4 [FOUR] losses to drop out of the CFP rankings. I'm sorry but something stinks and it needs flushed.

11-12-2019 09:02 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(11-12-2019 09:02 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Can someone explain to me why Texas is even ranked in the CFP? They are 6-3 and ranked #19. They've lost to LSU [no problem there], Oklahoma [at home], and TCU [on the road]. It looks like their best wins are La Tech, Okie St, and Kansas St.

#20 Iowa is a similar story. 6-3 and losses to Michigan, Penn St, and Wisky. Their wins include Buttgers, Middle Tenn St, Purdue and NW. Not exactly a murderers row.

I get they are in P5 conferences but they each have 3 [THREE] losses with no impressive wins on their resume. Plus, essentially they are granted 4 [FOUR] losses to drop out of the CFP rankings. I'm sorry but something stinks and it needs flushed.

See bold for answer.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 09:14 PM by bearcatdp.)
11-12-2019 09:14 PM
Advertisement

natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(11-12-2019 09:02 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Can someone explain to me why Texas is even ranked in the CFP? They are 6-3 and ranked #19. They've lost to LSU [no problem there], Oklahoma [at home], and TCU [on the road]. It looks like their best wins are La Tech, Okie St, and Kansas St.

Iowa being ranked is a joke. I think they have Texas about right maybe a couple spots too high.

11-12-2019 09:19 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

Well 6-3 UCF is still getting votes in both polls. UCF lost to Pitt and Tulsa. The best team they've beaten is Temple, and I'd take Oklahoma State over Temple all day. The next best team UCF has beat is probably 3-6 Houston? Maybe 4-5 Stanford, they have a better record than Houston but it's against a crap schedule. KSU and Lousiana Tech are way better than Houston or Stanford.

So there goes your conspiracy theory. Texas is a pretty decent team when you look at it. The middle of the Big 12 is 6 closely matched teams who are 6-4, 5-4, or 4-5 where all but 5 of their losses are to each other, Oklahoma, or Baylor. I think it's pretty fair to rank the best of them (either Texas or Kansas State) behind UC and Memphis, but ahead of Navy and SMU.

11-12-2019 10:21 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

I don't know how UC moved up 3 spots by beating UConn. Moving ahead of Wake Forest made sense, but Kansas State and Iowa's losses were to ranked teams.

I think the CFP finally realized that teams after #12 or #13 are pretty dicey. UC and Memphis are probably the best of that bunch. And their schedule strength is actually not that different from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Notre Dame.

11-12-2019 10:29 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

Keep an eye on Navy this week if they beat Notre Dame. How far up do they go if they beat the Irish?

Wisconsin actually moved DOWN 1 spot after beating #18 Iowa by 2 at home. And Iowa dropped only 2 spots. Apparently the committee decided that both teams looked a little worse than they thought the previous week?

11-12-2019 10:33 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(11-12-2019 09:19 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  Iowa being ranked is a joke. I think they have Texas about right maybe a couple spots too high.

This is a bit convoluted and I'm not necessarily arguing that Iowa should be ranked, but I think they are getting credit for having 3 really strong losses and their best win being against another team (5-4 Iowa State) with nothing but strong losses. In fact, if Iowa had lost the game against Iowa State, Iowa State would probably be ranked instead.

Iowa's losses:

L 10-3 at #15 Michigan
L 17-12 vs #9 Penn State
L 24-22 at #14 Wisconsin

Iowa State's losses:

L 18-17 vs #20 Iowa
L 23-21 at #13 Baylor
L 34-27 vs #22 Oklahoma State
L 42-41 at #10 Oklahoma

I don't know if either team is really that good, but they sure are good at losing close games to teams that are perceived as good.

11-12-2019 10:38 PM
Advertisement

C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(11-12-2019 08:24 PM)ladeda Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 08:08 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  Seems about right for Cincinnati. Just have to keep winning. Both Memphis and Cincinnati put a little distance between themselves and Boise State.

I saw something the other day that the AAC was the 4th strongest football conference this year. No way should App State beat out a 2 loss AAC team this year. I wouldn't worry about it all.

Personally I agree, but I’m not so sure the CFB Committee agrees with us. Especially depending on who the AAC champ is with 2 losses. The American is significantly tougher but I sometimes fear the committee still largely views all G5 league’s similarly despite the fact we are leagues ahead of the others.

Unfortunately, I definitely think a 1 loss Boise gets in over a 2 loss American champ, despite Boise having several close calls already. Hopefully it’s not even a discussion and both Boise and App State drop another game.

11-12-2019 11:09 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I do agree that Texas' resume is better than Iowa's but take a closer look at Texas...

Wins
La Tech [8-1]
@Rice [0-9]
Okie St [6-3][3-3]
@WVU [3-6][1-5]
Kansas [3-6][1-5]
Kansas St [6-3][3-3]

Losses
LSU [9-0]
Oklahoma [8-1][5-1]
@TCU [4-5][2-4]

None of their conference wins are against teams above .500 in conference. They lost to a sub .500 TCU. I just don't see a resume that puts them at #19. The AP has them #22. Again, I'm going by the fact they have 3 losses already. They still have to play @Iowa St and @Baylor so this will end up being moot - no way they win both of those games.

11-12-2019 11:43 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

(11-12-2019 11:09 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 08:24 PM)ladeda Wrote:  

Personally I agree, but I’m not so sure the CFB Committee agrees with us. Especially depending on who the AAC champ is with 2 losses. The American is significantly tougher but I sometimes fear the committee still largely views all G5 league’s similarly despite the fact we are leagues ahead of the others.

Unfortunately, I definitely think a 1 loss Boise gets in over a 2 loss American champ, despite Boise having several close calls already. Hopefully it’s not even a discussion and both Boise and App State drop another game.

I think the CFP committee recognizes the weakness of the ACC. Wake Forest is the only 2-loss team that's not ranked other than Air Force, Hawai'i, and Indiana (and Indiana's 7 wins have been over UConn, 4-5 Ball State, an FCS school, and the 4 worst teams in the Big 10). Also, Clemson was outside the top-4 in the first CFP poll because of their weak schedule.

The CFP committee does NOT recognize the weakness of the PAC. There's no way that Utah is a top-10 team. Oregon might deserve top-10, but they haven't proven it yet like Minnesota, Penn State, or Auburn have. Oregon's schedule so far looks a lot like Cincinnati's where they lost to a top team and have been undefeated against teams outside the top-30. The only real difference is that Oregon beat 2 nearly-ranked teams (Washington and USC) both on the road and Cincinnati beat one (UCF) at home.

11-13-2019 09:05 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
I know it's all revisionist history but I'm watching Minnesota and Baylor closely only from the perspective of this: where would UC be ranked right now had they beaten Ohio State? I know, I know, it clearly never would have happened knowing what we know now. But where would UC be in the pecking order? I would hope in that 4 - 9 range similar to Minnesota. Just a little game I'm playing in my mind.

11-13-2019 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-13-2019 09:15 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  I know it's all revisionist history but I'm watching Minnesota and Baylor closely only from the perspective of this: where would UC be ranked right now had they beaten Ohio State? I know, I know, it clearly never would have happened knowing what we know now. But where would UC be in the pecking order? I would hope in that 4 - 9 range similar to Minnesota. Just a little game I'm playing in my mind.

Reviewing the polls from last year, UCF was unbeaten this time last year and was still only #10. My guess is the talking point would be were fortunate to capture OSU in a "down year" under 1st year HC Ryan Day. I think at best we would be right were UCF was at #10.

11-13-2019 09:28 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2019 09:28 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 09:15 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  I know it's all revisionist history but I'm watching Minnesota and Baylor closely only from the perspective of this: where would UC be ranked right now had they beaten Ohio State? I know, I know, it clearly never would have happened knowing what we know now. But where would UC be in the pecking order? I would hope in that 4 - 9 range similar to Minnesota. Just a little game I'm playing in my mind.

Reviewing the polls from last year, UCF was unbeaten this time last year and was still only #10. My guess is the talking point would be were fortunate to capture OSU in a "down year" under 1st year HC Ryan Day. I think at best we would be right were UCF was at #10.

If we had won at OSU as dominant as they've been in every other game we'd be higher than UCF was. 6-7 would be my guess. We would be in the playoff this year at 13-0.

11-13-2019 09:31 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-13-2019 09:31 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 09:28 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

If we had won at OSU as dominant as they've been in every other game we'd be higher than UCF was. 6-7 would be my guess. We would be in the playoff this year at 13-0.

Possibly... but it sound like I am a bit more pessimistic about the agenda of the CFP committee than you. IMHO the committee runs the risk of putting us in a position of finishing with a top 4 ranking if they place us that high. UCF went two years in a row without a loss and they were #10 this time last year. They got up to #6 in the final poll last year after the AAC CCG... in other words they were 26-0 in the two years preceding and could not crack that top 5. This is why I think we'd be around 10.

11-13-2019 09:40 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
Hopefully a playoff expansion will come soon. Why not 12 teams...10 conference champions and 2 wildcard teams.....4 first round byes ...other 8 teams play to get down to final 8. Argument would be that some elite teams might not make playoffs if they don't win their conference. Would be like college basketball where every team has a chance at the national championship. Won't happen because it might end the money grab power conference hierarchy. Guess the best will be an eight team playoff with a guarantee of at least one G5 team.

11-13-2019 10:11 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
First off, OSU is the best team in the country. If we beat them we would be in the Top 4, no questions asked. It's a moot point because they aren't losing until the playoffs and will likely blow out whoever they get in their first game of that as well.

Anyways, I'm curious what happens if we lose at Memphis but then beat them in the Conference championship game.

11-13-2019 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.