Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

massive grade inflation in colleges
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
massive grade inflation in colleges
https://www.applerouth.com/blog/2019/11/...-108939697

No wonder kids come out of Harvard dumber than they start. In 1960 the average Harvard GPA was 2.7. By 2000 it was 3.41. Chart shows a national lull from 75 to 85 after rapid grade inflation in the 60s, but then a steady upward climb since then. Elite schools have been the worst offenders.

"...Two academic researchers who conducted a thorough analysis of the shifts in college grading, Stuart Rojstaczer of Duke University and Christopher Healy of Furman University, found that a major shift in grading took place in the 60s and continued for decades following...."
11-12-2019 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

RE: massive grade inflation in colleges
Article points how it has followed in HS:

"...Grades at the high school level have been climbing for decades. Researchers from the Department of Education, the College Board and independent researchers from Fordham and American Universities have confirmed the escalation of high school GPAs. According to the Department of Education, the average High School GPA was a 2.68 in 1990. By 2016, the average GPA, according to the College Board, had climbed to a 3.38. Michael Hurwitz of the College Board and Jason Lee, a researcher at the Institute of Higher Education at UGA, found that the proportion of students with A averages (including A-minus and A-plus) increased from 38.9 percent of the graduating class of 1998 to 47 percent of the graduating class of 2016.

These shifts in grading have enabled us to send more students to college with good GPAs, yet lacking in fundamental skills...."
11-12-2019 03:51 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I have heard from multiple people that went to Ivies that once you get in, it work itself isn't difficult. The competition for extracurricular leadership positions is another story, but any average student could graduate by putting in no more work than if they went anywhere else.
11-12-2019 04:00 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Ah, the rise in subjective studies and decrease in studies where there is a factual answer and anything to the contrary is a failing grade.

Students have become the bots of the professors. Spout what the professor wants to hear in a paper, regardless of personal belief and you'll see your subjective gpa increase. Go against the grain and they'll spew you out quicker than foul milk.
11-12-2019 04:40 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(11-12-2019 04:40 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Ah, the rise in subjective studies and decrease in studies where there is a factual answer and anything to the contrary is a failing grade.

Students have become the bots of the professors. Spout what the professor wants to hear in a paper, regardless of personal belief and you'll see your subjective gpa increase. Go against the grain and they'll spew you out quicker than foul milk.

[Image: source.gif]

from 2nd grade and father Jack, to advanced math chick in HS crying her eyes out, to flippin' off too many libtards in college as I walked out of the their class....

yeah, I was that mothertrucker....should surprise no one....
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 05:49 PM by stinkfist.)
11-12-2019 05:46 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(11-12-2019 05:46 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 04:40 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Ah, the rise in subjective studies and decrease in studies where there is a factual answer and anything to the contrary is a failing grade.

from 2nd grade and father Jack, to advanced math chick in HS crying her eyes out, to flippin' off too many libtards in college as I walked out of the their class....

I'm still mad that katie fricked him. 03-lmfao boon was kinda s cuck though.

Let's face it. ****** teachers giving dumb kids easy tests to keep their phony bologna jobs. I'm amazed at how dumb recent grads are now.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 07:16 PM by shere khan.)
11-12-2019 07:12 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(11-12-2019 07:12 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Let's face it. ****** teachers giving dumb kids easy tests to keep their phony bologna jobs. I'm amazed at how dumb recent grads are now.

I have three college professors as regulars in the smoke shop, they all complain about the lack of control they have over the grades they hand out.
11-12-2019 07:41 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
What happens when standardized tests like the SAT and GRE are vilified as being racist and sexist.
11-12-2019 07:52 PM
stinkfist Online

(11-12-2019 07:12 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

not only was boon a cuck, but when I rushed sae, I gave those poosies and the rest the finga too...

having said that, after my divorce at 39, 40 become the largest range in the 'pond' from 20 to 60...

I'd have hooked her along with the many others.... 03-wink

now I'm too old to care about those 'matters'... 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 08:12 PM by stinkfist.)
11-12-2019 08:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Most of my classes in college used the gap system. When I was a TA that was what was used.

But while Texas had grade inflation, it wasn't as bad as some of the others in the chart.
11-12-2019 08:43 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Grade inflation has been going on for years. http://www.gradeinflation.com has tracked it.

[Image: figure2.png]

But not every school or major started from the same baseline. Private schools have always given higher grades than public schools, on average. And humanities classes have always had higher grades than engineering classes.

[Image: figure1.png]
[Image: figure7.png]
11-13-2019 08:22 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grade-infla...st-grades/

"Highly selective schools, both public and private, tend to award much higher grades.... Professors at less selective colleges and universities tend to give out lower grades. Overall, students at state universities earn lower grades than their peers are private schools."

Colleges & Universities With the Toughest Grades
Auburn University
Boston University
Cal State University-Fullerton
Florida International University
Hampden-Sydney College
Harvey Mudd College
MIT
Princeton University
Purdue University
Reed College
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Roanoke College
Simon Fraser University (Canada)
Southern Polytechnic State
University of Houston
Virginia Commonwealth University
11-13-2019 08:23 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline

I'm a professor, and I discuss this with colleagues all the time. What should the average grade be?

One of my friends went from a Big 10 school for his PhD and teaches at an average MAC school. The first year at the MAC school, he taught the exact same course the exact same way he had taught it at the Big 10 school. The MAC students performed about 20% worse on exams than the Big 10 students. He was conflicted about how to grade his MAC students. One the one hand, he didn't want to pass students who didn't know the material, but on the other hand he couldn't have the class average be a D plus. But then someone pointed out that the job market already takes the difference in student quality into account - employers will probably pay a a "C" student from the Big 10 school a higher salary than a "B" student at a MAC school. So he felt ok inflating the grades.

I feel that this has happened all over the place - average student quality has declined as more students are pushed into college.

But they're not fooling anyone. Employers know that grades are higher today than they were 20 years ago. Employers know that 90% of Harvard students graduate "with honors".

So as usual, the free market has corrected the problem on its own.
11-13-2019 08:34 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
From what I've always heard the hardest thing about going to an Ivy League or other top schools is just getting into the school in the first place. Once in, it's not really difficult because the schools that have these prestigous reputations don't want to harm those reputations by failing students.
11-13-2019 08:39 AM
stinkfist Online

(11-13-2019 08:34 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I'm a professor, and I discuss this with colleagues all the time. What should the average grade be?

One of my friends went from a Big 10 school for his PhD and teaches at an average MAC school. The first year at the MAC school, he taught the exact same course the exact same way he had taught it at the Big 10 school. The MAC students performed about 20% worse on exams than the Big 10 students. He was conflicted about how to grade his MAC students. One the one hand, he didn't want to pass students who didn't know the material, but on the other hand he couldn't have the class average be a D plus. But then someone pointed out that the job market already takes the difference in student quality into account - employers will probably pay a a "C" student from the Big 10 school a higher salary than a "B" student at a MAC school. So he felt ok inflating the grades.

I feel that this has happened all over the place - average student quality has declined as more students are pushed into college.

But they're not fooling anyone. Employers know that grades are higher today than they were 20 years ago. Employers know that 90% of Harvard students graduate "with honors".

So as usual, the free market has corrected the problem on its own.

for the individual, it's all about the interview....it always has been...

until recently, it's also always been about the sheepskin to get that foot in the door....

some are finite and indisputable relative to knowledge....there's more that simply don't matter in scope....
11-13-2019 09:01 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(11-13-2019 08:39 AM)VA49er Wrote:  From what I've always heard the hardest thing about going to an Ivy League or other top schools is just getting into the school in the first place. Once in, it's not really difficult because the schools that have these prestigous reputations don't want to harm those reputations by failing students.

If a person has been babied to get in they baby them through. There are some classes that no amount of babying will get you through. Those people become interdisciplinary pig Latin honor students.

Is the college athlete model. Play football and graduate in 3 years with a 3.8. Lol. Gtfoh.

Sham
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019 10:12 AM by shere khan.)
11-13-2019 10:10 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(11-13-2019 10:10 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 08:39 AM)VA49er Wrote:  From what I've always heard the hardest thing about going to an Ivy League or other top schools is just getting into the school in the first place. Once in, it's not really difficult because the schools that have these prestigous reputations don't want to harm those reputations by failing students.

If a person has been babied to get in they baby them through. There are some classes that no amount of babying will get you through. Those people become interdisciplinary pig Latin honor students.

Is the college athlete model. Play football and graduate in 3 years with a 3.8. Lol. Gtfoh.

Sham

XACLY!

talk about running jokes.....
11-13-2019 10:16 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
School has become way too easy. My son is in 5th grade and has never gotten a B. He does do his homework every night (about 10-15 minutes worth), but doesn't study for tests or do anything outside of school. He is smart, but certainly not out of the ordinary and fails to test into the gifted program. I feel like he ought to have to work harder to get straight As.
11-13-2019 10:29 AM
stinkfist Online

(11-13-2019 10:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  School has become way too easy. My son is in 5th grade and has never gotten a B. He does do his homework every night (about 10-15 minutes worth), but doesn't study for tests or do anything outside of school. He is smart, but certainly not out of the ordinary and fails to test into the gifted program. I feel like he ought to have to work harder to get straight As.

you sound like my father.....to some, it simply comes naturally....view it as a gift from the heavens....it's easily better than any other....

I did all my work ahead of time or on the bus....when I got home, it was my playground that mattered....

some brains work faster than others....I sometimes say "yea" and sometimes say "nay"....

#conundrum

edit: take a guess who the hot chicks intentionally sat next to and paid attention during 'test time'....
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019 10:58 AM by stinkfist.)
11-13-2019 10:57 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(11-13-2019 10:57 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 10:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  School has become way too easy. My son is in 5th grade and has never gotten a B. He does do his homework every night (about 10-15 minutes worth), but doesn't study for tests or do anything outside of school. He is smart, but certainly not out of the ordinary and fails to test into the gifted program. I feel like he ought to have to work harder to get straight As.

you sound like my father.....to some, it simply comes naturally....view it as a gift from the heavens....it's easily better than any other....

I did all my work ahead of time or on the bus....when I got home, it was my playground that mattered....

some brains work faster than others....I sometimes say "yea" and sometimes say "nay"....

#conundrum

edit: take a guess who the hot chicks intentionally sat next to and paid attention during 'test time'....

Yeah, I ask my son each night if he's done his homework. The answer is always, "I've already done it dad". I guess as long as the grades are good I'm good. Luckily, he will reach out if he has difficulty with a subject. My daughter contantly complains about homework and the two go to the same school but different grades. I am so sick of relearning Algebra I remember why I despised it in the first place.
11-13-2019 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.