Sam Mitchell's take
11-11-2019 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Sam Mitchell's take
This was my first thought when the news broke. No way in hell a former college player and AAU coach isn't aware of the rules and a new coach doesn't sit down with the compliance offfice® and learn the rule book, especially as pertains to recruits and recruiting.
11-12-2019 07:32 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(11-12-2019 07:32 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  This was my first thought when the news broke. No way in hell a former college player and AAU coach isn't aware of the rules and a new coach doesn't sit down with the compliance offfice® and learn the rule book, especially as pertains to recruits and recruiting.

I completely agree that Penny is fully aware of the rules and knows exactly what they are since he has become coach.

Penny wasn't the coach when he gave the money and wasn't concerned about his relationship with the U of M when he gave the money to Wiseman. Honestly it was a bad decision because Hardaway knew it could possibly hurt the kid the future. I am sure Hardaway never intended this information to come out.
11-12-2019 07:56 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes, Penny was simply helping Wiseman family move to Memphis so they could be with his sister and Wiseman while Wiseman played at *East High School.* Tubby had just become the Memphis coach and there was a one-year window that Wiseman would play college ball. There's no way in hell that the moving expenses were given to the Wiseman family in the hope that Wiseman would play at the University of Memphis. Penney's players were going everywhere *except* Memphis during that time. Yet it's the NCAAs way to completely ignore the evidence when it goes to "motivation and intent." And completely ignore who is really being punished (an *innocent party* in Wiseman) and that persons involvement. Shameful. I hope this case changes those rules.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 08:15 AM by TIGERCITY.)
11-12-2019 07:58 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(11-12-2019 07:58 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Yes, Penny was simply helping Wiseman family move to Memphis so they could be with his sister and Wiseman while Wiseman played at *East High School.* Tubby had just become the Memphis coach and there was a one-year window that Wiseman would play college ball. There's no way in hell that the moving expenses were given to the Wiseman family in the hope that Wiseman would play at the University of Memphis. Penney's players were going everywhere *except* Memphis during that time. Yet it's the NCAAs way to completely ignore the evidence when it goes to "motivation and intent." And completely ignore is really being punished (an *innocent party* in Wiseman) and what that persons involvement at all. Shameful. And I hope this case changes those rules.

This point is so obvious that it seems the NCAAs intent is to truly do harm to Memphis and Penny, our reputation, and nothing to do with genuine enforcement.
11-12-2019 08:04 AM
Fluke Online
1st String

Also something people haven’t mentioned. If penny knew he would be getting the job why the hell would Lomax commit to Wichita when he did? Obviously they didn’t.
11-12-2019 08:26 AM
Advertisement

Hoots Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-12-2019 08:26 AM)Fluke Wrote:  Also something people haven’t mentioned. If penny knew he would be getting the job why the hell would Lomax commit to Wichita when he did? Obviously they didn’t.

Good point.
11-12-2019 08:28 AM
holyterror Online
Hall of Famer

(11-12-2019 08:26 AM)Fluke Wrote:  Also something people haven’t mentioned. If penny knew he would be getting the job why the hell would Lomax commit to Wichita when he did? Obviously they didn’t.

Excellent.
11-12-2019 08:32 AM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
(11-12-2019 08:28 AM)Hoots Wrote:  

Good point.

Which strengthens their case.

Also this:

Link
Quote:Okay, say in 2008 that Penny was a booster, and nine years later he is still a booster. Unless it is a recruiting violation, it doesn’t matter that he gave Wiseman’s family money in 2017. The booster has to violate a NCAA rule.
Quote:So, did Penny engage in illegal recruiting by giving the money? In my opinion, no way, no how. He never recruited James in 2017 to attend Memphis. He wasn’t the coach at Memphis. He was coaching high school basketball! And even if that had violated high school athletic association rules—I’m not aware that it did—that doesn’t violate NCAA rules.

Basically NCAA has no jurisdiction. Penny may have recruited James to East with the payment but that's not a NCAA rule (recruiting players to a high school). NCAA rule states recruit to a particular college.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 08:53 AM by CUSA_NEWS.)
11-12-2019 08:52 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

Logic is lost on the NCAA.
11-12-2019 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

For completeness...

The money that Penny paid the Wiseman's while its intent was not to recruit Wiseman to the University of Memphis.

That money did help Penny get Wiseman to attend the University of Memphis
11-12-2019 09:41 AM
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(11-12-2019 09:41 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  For completeness...

The money that Penny paid the Wiseman's while its intent was not to recruit Wiseman to the University of Memphis.

01-wingedeagle How did the stipend to his mom in 2017 get Wiseman to attend UofM in 2019......
11-12-2019 09:50 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

You cant play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with a statute. Its either in the bylaws, or it isnt.

Also, there was nothing hidden about this payment. Due to the same payment, the TSSAA ruled Wiseman ineligible to play at East, Wiseman and Penny fought back (and had the same Judge in Kyle) and the TSSAA simply let it go. There was a court case on this already. Its not like anyone could have hid this if they wanted to.
11-12-2019 09:52 AM
geedog50 Offline
Special Teams

From your standpoint we should ask Penny what's the Powerball numbers. 07-coffee3
11-12-2019 09:53 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-12-2019 09:50 AM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle How did the stipend to his mom in 2017 get Wiseman to attend UofM in 2019......

You don't think Wiseman playing for Penny in High School helped Penny get him to the UofM
11-12-2019 09:58 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-12-2019 09:52 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

You cant play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with a statute. Its either in the bylaws, or it isnt.

Also, there was nothing hidden about this payment. Due to the same payment, the TSSAA ruled Wiseman ineligible to play at East, Wiseman and Penny fought back (and had the same Judge in Kyle) and the TSSAA simply let it go. There was a court case on this already. Its not like anyone could have hid this if they wanted to.

The statue says a booster cannot give anything of value to a player...Intent is not included.

There are other rules that allowed Penny to give him the money as far as being his coach but I think that is where the NCAA says they made a mistake.

I don't think we can win this case by saying we didn't break a rule. Our case lies in the NCAA not honoring their commitment.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 10:04 AM by macgar32.)
11-12-2019 10:00 AM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I don't think he was ruled ineligible at East due to the payment. I don't think that was known at the time. They were arguing the prior coaching link angle due to Wiseman playing on Team Penny.
11-12-2019 10:09 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(11-12-2019 10:09 AM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  I don't think he was ruled ineligible at East due to the payment. I don't think that was known at the time. They were arguing the prior coaching link angle due to Wiseman playing on Team Penny.

I thought it was all about the $11,500 payment to help them move from Nashville to Memphis.
11-12-2019 10:11 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

although you phrase that last part as a conclusion I think I would describe that as more of an assumption. Wiseman could have signed with Memphis without his mother moving here. His sister was already enrolled at Memphis without their mother here. Why not the assumption that she simply wanted to be near her children... And Penny provided the means to enable that.
11-12-2019 10:27 AM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(11-12-2019 10:11 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 10:09 AM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  I don't think he was ruled ineligible at East due to the payment. I don't think that was known at the time. They were arguing the prior coaching link angle due to Wiseman playing on Team Penny.

I thought it was all about the $11,500 payment to help them move from Nashville to Memphis.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...878572001/
11-12-2019 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.