WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Start the rumors...P.J. to Southern Cal!
Broncos83 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Start the rumors...P.J. to Southern Cal!
Caught a brief reference to this a few minutes ago. USC hammered at home last night vs. Oregon...Helton will likely be canned. Could it be a fit? No idea but I hope there’s enough smoke to make the Minny fans nervous!
11-03-2019 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wmufan715 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wmu
RE: Start the rumors...P.J. to Southern Cal!
Well he has the relationship with the USC donor who was a Western grad that bought the scoreboard and set up the home game.
11-03-2019 10:17 AM
Wmufan715 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wmu
(11-03-2019 10:17 AM)Wmufan715 Wrote:  Well he has the relationship with the USC donor who was a Western grad that bought the scoreboard and set up the USC game.
11-03-2019 10:18 AM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

Yep. He’s probably got Gores in his corner. No idea what kind of relationship Gores has with the USC administration...possibly none. Like I said, just hoping there’s enough smoke to make the Minny fans start talking and get a little nervous.
11-03-2019 10:25 AM
WMU2013 Offline
All American

(11-03-2019 10:12 AM)Broncos83 Wrote:  Caught a brief reference to this a few minutes ago. USC hammered at home last night vs. Oregon...Helton will likely be canned. Could it be a fit? No idea but I hope there’s enough smoke to make the Minny fans nervous!

Wont happen, his ex wife has a job in the midwest.
11-03-2019 10:35 AM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

There are multiple "rumors" involving PJ. Almost every school's fanbase who has their coach on the way out has been putting PJ's name out there. What he has done at Minnesota is impressive tbh.
11-03-2019 11:27 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be all that surprised if after another successful year at Minn PJ doesn't end up taking over for Brian Kelly at ND. The Irish fan base is getting antsy right now... too many disappointing seasons stacking up for a program that recruits like the best of em...

It is VERY possible that Minn could find itself in teh B10 championship... this year. That would be a HUGE boost to PJ's resume... I would bet that the Minn fan base is a bit on edge at this point. You wan't success but you also know with success likely comes the need to replace your HC... PJ is only loyal to PJ.
11-03-2019 12:22 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Rumor out of Cincinnati is that USC is going to hire UC AD Mike Bohn, which could mean a package deal with Luke Fickell.

If the Michigan State job opens up, things are going to get interesting. Fickell, Fleck, Matt Campbell and Jim McElwain could all be on MSU's short list.

FIRE UP CHIPS! :)
11-03-2019 01:36 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Minnesota will fight tooth & nail to keep him. They've been mediocre for too long not to. They want Fleck to be a Mike Dantoni, someone who stayed with Michigan St & built them into a consistent contender.

(11-03-2019 01:36 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Rumor out of Cincinnati is that USC is going to hire UC AD Mike Bohn, which could mean a package deal with Luke Fickell.

If the Michigan State job opens up, things are going to get interesting. Fickell, Fleck, Matt Campbell and Jim McElwain could all be on MSU's short list.

Lot of Michigan St fans want Fickell. But agree, that dream could be smashed if Southern California makes their move first. I'm not sure how often a team poaches from within the same conference, but I don't believe Fleck would jump from Minnesota to Michigan St. I think Campbell most likely.

My guess McElwain goes to an AAC team, but a consistent bottom-feeder P5 team might bite.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 02:13 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-03-2019 02:13 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
Matt Rhule (Baylor) will be on everyone's short list. Likely MSU's first target if they make a change (but I don't expect they will).

I don't see Fleck leaving the Midwest for a number of reasons.
11-03-2019 02:32 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(11-03-2019 02:13 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Minnesota will fight tooth & nail to keep him. They've been mediocre for too long not to. They want Fleck to be a Mike Dantoni, someone who stayed with Michigan St & built them into a consistent contender.

(11-03-2019 01:36 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Rumor out of Cincinnati is that USC is going to hire UC AD Mike Bohn, which could mean a package deal with Luke Fickell.

Lot of Michigan St fans want Fickell. But agree, that dream could be smashed if Southern California makes their move first. I'm not sure how often a team poaches from within the same conference, but I don't believe Fleck would jump from Minnesota to Michigan St. I think Campbell most likely.

My guess McElwain goes to an AAC team, but a consistent bottom-feeder P5 team might bite.

I don't believe McElwain will leave CMU for a rebuilding P5 program like Rutgers or another G5 program in the AAC like Cincinnati, with possibly one exception.

There's little doubt if offered the Michigan or MSU job McElwain would take it. Now, back to the UC exception.

The reason coach Mac took the CMU job is because he already had a good working relationship with CMU AD Michael Alford when both were on staff at Alabama. If Cincinnati (and I absolutely wouldn't put it past them) hired Alford away from CMU to replace Bohn in an attempt to get McElwain too, I could see it happening.

I agree with you on the MSU job in that Fleck would be less likely since it would be a lateral move. I also agree that Fickell and Campbell would likely be the top two candidates. If I were the MSU AD, Campbell would be my top choice.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 03:22 PM by BeatWestern!.)
11-03-2019 03:16 PM
Advertisement

Broncodan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Broncos!!
Fleck is not leaving Minni any time soon
11-03-2019 03:22 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

McElwain to MSU would not go over well given MSU's recent history and McElwain's history of violations. They are going to want to assure people the new coach isn't going to let players run wild.
11-04-2019 10:23 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I see Fleck mentioned, with several others, for the Florida State job. I think either the Memphis coach, or one of the Clemson coordinators are more likely there though.
11-04-2019 10:43 AM
fastbuicks Offline
Special Teams

Fleck not likely going to USC. He has zero SoCal recruiting reach. UCLA/Oregon would kill him in that area. If loses next 3-4 games he isn't going anywhere. Florida St would be more likely, if he wins 10-11 games. His contract buyout much lower than other P5 coaches. FSU just dished out Taggert $17M buyout, they need $20-$25M to pick off top P5 coach. That would be over $35m just to change coaches not including salary. Crazy things have happened.
11-04-2019 11:41 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-04-2019 10:23 AM)RunningGame Wrote:  McElwain to MSU would not go over well given MSU's recent history and McElwain's history of violations. They are going to want to assure people the new coach isn't going to let players run wild.

I think MSU would target Matt Campbell... would be a logical move for both parties.
11-04-2019 12:58 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

Fleck is making some solid cash and has the Minnesota administration fully behind him at this point... he's got a comfortable gig where he can continue to make waves in the P5... facilities at Minnesota are some of the best in the B10 since he's been there... If he ramps up his recruiting efforts going forward Minnesota could be the force in the B10 West... landing them in the championship game for a few years running...

Fleck pulls that off... he basically writes his own ticket to nearly any program looking for a coach... who knows... he could end up following Harbaugh at UM... wouldn't that just be hilarious ... watching the wolvies literally lose their minds over the RTB slogans...
11-04-2019 01:01 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I may be wrong but seem to remember when he came to WMU hearing that Fleck's "dream" college job was Notre Dame but also that his ultimate goal was to win a Super Bowl.

Being an Illinois boy it might've been with Bears.

Even if that were true could have changed since then of course.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019 05:03 PM by MajorHoople.)
11-04-2019 04:22 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I definitely remember him saying he'd love to win a Super Bowl, but think the ND thing is just rumor.
11-04-2019 06:41 PM
texasbronco1 Offline
All American

(11-04-2019 04:22 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  I may be wrong but seem to remember when he came to WMU hearing that Fleck's "dream" college job was Notre Dame but also that his ultimate goal was to win a Super Bowl.

Being an Illinois boy it might've been with Bears.

Even if that were true could have changed since then of course.

PJ's "Dream Job" is the next bigger school that he is trying to get hired at. I'm sure you already know that.
11-04-2019 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.