Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drinkwitz 8 Games In
Bookmark and Share
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
Drinkwitz 8 Games In
Posting here because I really want to avoid turning this into a GSU discussion.

Reflecting on this past week and the season to date. Couple things I wanted to share. Buckle up because some sacred cows will be sacrificed.

I think Drink has big plans for the program, but he is trying to do so very gradually, which essentially means this year he is running Satterfield’s program... I think he learned that after the first two games. No surprises so far, right? What I think that means is he can’t do what he ultimately wants to do this year. Here are a few observations that I feel are weaknesses in our legacy Satterfield schema that will have to change to evolve the program to “the next level”.

2) The last three conference games looked and felt like Satterfield-led efforts: endeavor to establish the run, even if the defense aligns to stop it, passing in obvious passing situations, and finally relying on defense to either create short fields, or keep us in the game... and uncork the offense only when it’s clearly needed.

3) Our scheme is based on a prototype of less bulky, more athletic lineman. We are successful when we are able to spread a defense out and create space, and it’s served us well. Having said that: when our tools are limited by weather or injury, we really struggle to win at the line of scrimmage. In fact, there is very little difference between the performance of the 2018 and 2019 teams against Georgia Southern, or really UL. I really think our “prototype” lineman may change as Drink is able to put his mark on the program. I do think we will have bulk up there.

4) I think that the era of “solid” blue collar quarterbacks will end with ZT. TL fit that mold for sure. ZT is an improved version of TL, but still in the same mold. Again, hard to criticize the success of both our lineman prototype AND our QB prototype, but I do expect to see change as Drink is able to control the direction of the program. Zac has struggled this year at times, and I think that any objective observer would admit that. ZT is not identifying open receivers (and part of that is due to the aforementioned undersized O line), often throwing to well covered defenders, when another was open. ZT has had trouble with timing of swing and flat passes, often throwing at the shins or feet of the receiver. I feel, 8 games in, Drink is working with what he has right now, and that limits the creativity he’d like to have, almost to a fault. I think he needs to open things up a bit and dig deeper in his playbook and challenge the players a little. I think many of them are capable. I will not be surprised to see a real quarterback competition in the offseason as Drink makes key decisions after the first year is under his belt.

5) I think the loss of Peoples on the first game of the season was a bigger hit than most realize. Peoples is that big back that runs and hits like Kennedy does for Georgia Southern... and that’s a difference maker in games like the GS game. We need more of that, especially if we want to do damage running up the middle which we like to do to keep defenses honest.

6) I think we are at a critical point in the season, and I can see us not dropping another contest to losing two more games before the season is over.

7) As the results play out the rest of the season, I think we will see more and more of Drink’s leadership on the program. I do expect the team to loosen up. The off-season may result in more transfers as it becomes clear to players what Drink wants to do with the program.

8) Finally, The AD must push for one of two things: we either play GS on Saturdays, or we schedule an open week prior to a Thursday night game. 5 days is not enough time to prepare for an old school offense that most teams never see, and we only see once a year.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019 12:35 PM by GoAppsGo92.)
11-02-2019 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Drinkwitz 8 Games In
#3 - Drink has got two large lads that will help with blocking coming in 2020.

#4 - Drink has already recruited a QB for 2020 (Navy Schuler) who plays in a Pro style QB position. I think App's offense in 2 more seasons will look nothing like the modified spread that we've seen since '05.

#5 - Evans has tried to hit the corner too many times this year. An up-the-gut runner (Peoples) would massively helped the effort against GS. I think Evans trying to get to the corner without the blocking scheme in place of last year has made App's run game way less of a threat than most think.

#6 - I think the team bounces back pretty well at USC. After the GS beat down last year the team snapped together and dominated the rest of the year. I think USC is a tossup game, with the rest lean-to App's favor.

#8 - ESPN dictates the week night games for ESPNU. I doubt we'll see a GS/App game on anything other than Thursday while the current TV deal is in place (for like 7 years)
11-04-2019 11:15 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
RE: Drinkwitz 8 Games In
(11-04-2019 11:15 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  #3 - Drink has got two large lads that will help with blocking coming in 2020.

#4 - Drink has already recruited a QB for 2020 (Navy Schuler) who plays in a Pro style QB position. I think App's offense in 2 more seasons will look nothing like the modified spread that we've seen since '05.

#5 - Evans has tried to hit the corner too many times this year. An up-the-gut runner (Peoples) would massively helped the effort against GS. I think Evans trying to get to the corner without the blocking scheme in place of last year has made App's run game way less of a threat than most think.

#6 - I think the team bounces back pretty well at USC. After the GS beat down last year the team snapped together and dominated the rest of the year. I think USC is a tossup game, with the rest lean-to App's favor.

#8 - ESPN dictates the week night games for ESPNU. I doubt we'll see a GS/App game on anything other than Thursday while the current TV deal is in place (for like 7 years)

All good points, and I agree the change is already underway. Peoples and Harrington would have really benefited App last week, but the future looks bright in that position if we can keep everyone. As for point #8: I think this may not change because of ESPN, but we could still appeal to the conference to schedule and open week prior to this game. It’s not in the best interest of the conference to have both teams play such a pivotal game on a short week.

Don’t know what to expect from App/USC this week. What I do know is two things: we will face a team the is desperate to be bowl eligible so we will get their best effort, and #2 the pollsters have App just barely out of the top 25 as a result of last weeks loss, meaning it’s entirely possible to break back into the rankings should App win in Columbia, and win the rest of their games. I will be interested to see how we bounce back.
11-06-2019 06:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.