ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More NCAA changes
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
More NCAA changes
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...likenesses

Anybody have a couple million they want to promise a 5* recruit in exchange for using their face on advertising if they come to ODU?
10-29-2019 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: More NCAA changes
10-29-2019 02:58 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

This is going to be a disaster for college sports. We have the NCAA who can't get anything right being pressured by a Congress that can't get anything right AND doesn't know what the hell it is talking about on this issue working on a way to let boosters give players tons of cash to influence what school they go to. What could go wrong.

I am so sick of this. I wish NCAA would blow the whole thing up and go back to being an organization whose primary responsibility is to set rules that allow fair competition while fostering an education for student athletes. Enough with the charade. Enough with signing athletes that have no intention of ever getting a degree. Enough of schools pretending that kids are students first and athletes second. Lets get to a standard whereby students must be able to compete in the classroom before they can compete on the playing field. Once we are there, all this nonsense about paying players, and players being taken advantage of goes out the window, because the NCAA can legitimately say that these kids are being compensated with a world class education, the best coaches in the world, 1st class medical and training services, etc.

These kids are not being taken advantage of. A kid like Zion was able to build a massive brand at Duke that translated into a fortune upon his exit. He was allowed to train with, arguably, the greatest basketball coach of all time, he was given a platform on which to display his talents before one of the largest audiences in all of basketball on a nightly basis. He had crazy advanced training and dietary programs that were tailored specifically to his body, he had professionals helping him hone his media image at every turn, and oh by the way, he had an opportunity to go to Duke for free, and he had advisers to help him every step of the way. So if everything else didn't work, out the consolation prize is a 6 figure education with a ton of academic support from a great institution, but the NCAA through its idiocy and deprioritizing education among its student athletes has lost that narrative because at the highest levels, nobody is on campus to get an education.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 03:20 PM by Monarchblue.)
10-29-2019 03:18 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Well- it was fun while it lasted guys. This is the beginning of the end for the "mid-major"
10-29-2019 03:21 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Let me add something to this highly profound ruling today which will blow apart the threads that hold together college sports as we know it, today and forever....

I’m a vegan
10-29-2019 03:25 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 03:18 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  This is going to be a disaster for college sports. We have the NCAA who can't get anything right being pressured by a Congress that can't get anything right AND doesn't know what the hell it is talking about on this issue working on a way to let boosters give players tons of cash to influence what school they go to. What could go wrong.

I am so sick of this. I wish NCAA would blow the whole thing up and go back to being an organization whose primary responsibility is to set rules that allow fair competition while fostering an education for student athletes. Enough with the charade. Enough with signing athletes that have no intention of ever getting a degree. Enough of schools pretending that kids are students first and athletes second. Lets get to a standard whereby students must be able to compete in the classroom before they can compete on the playing field. Once we are there, all this nonsense about paying players, and players being taken advantage of goes out the window, because the NCAA can legitimately say that these kids are being compensated with a world class education, the best coaches in the world, 1st class medical and training services, etc.

These kids are not being taken advantage of. A kid like Zion was able to build a massive brand at Duke that translated into a fortune upon his exit. He was allowed to train with, arguably, the greatest basketball coach of all time, he was given a platform on which to display his talents before one of the largest audiences in all of basketball on a nightly basis. He had crazy advanced training and dietary programs that were tailored specifically to his body, he had professionals helping him hone his media image at every turn, and oh by the way, he had an opportunity to go to Duke for free, and he had advisers to help him every step of the way. So if everything else didn't work, out the consolation prize is a 6 figure education with a ton of academic support from a great institution, but the NCAA through its idiocy and deprioritizing education among its student athletes has lost that narrative because at the highest levels, nobody is on campus to get an education.

Well, since that will never happen, you could instead just focus on watching the Ivy League since that's the closest microcosm of what you are looking for. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, not athletics. And I don't mean offense or anything in what I'm saying, I'm pretty serious. Watching Ivy League basketball is actually pretty fun, and it's a league I probably wind up watching more than others besides our games.
10-29-2019 03:32 PM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

There is no “arguably best coach”. John Wooden won 9 NCAA Division 1 Championships in a 10 stretch. Including 7 in a row. The best coach ever. Period. Thus endeth the lesson.
10-29-2019 03:32 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

This is a travesty to all non P5 programs especially in Basketball. You can forget getting University level endorsement with Shoe and Athletic apparel companies in the future. NCAA is screwed the little guy by the threats of the big guys.
10-29-2019 03:34 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2019 03:21 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  Well- it was fun while it lasted guys. This is the beginning of the end for the "mid-major"

I totally agree. Once boosters, companies and rich alumni are allowed to use direct payments to influence where a basketball prospect goes to school its all over for everyone other than the top P5s. The 'cost of attendance" was bad enough, but at least there was a decent argument for it and it was relatively equal across the board. Now, if a kid is choosing between ODU, ECU and GMU, whoever winds up offering the most money will likely get the recruit. I don't even know if I want us to try to compete in that world. Most likely the rest of us will have to bow out and admit we cant compete with the P5s on a financial level with this ruling. Especially if Nike etc are involved in throwing money around too.

Why even pretend these guys are students anymore? Just let the P5 hire players to wear their jerseys and compete against each other. Don't even make them go to class. They're now professionals, so let them act like it and practice more. Let the rest of us recruit student athletes with scholarships and opportunity and play each other as usual.
10-29-2019 03:35 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 03:32 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 03:18 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  This is going to be a disaster for college sports. We have the NCAA who can't get anything right being pressured by a Congress that can't get anything right AND doesn't know what the hell it is talking about on this issue working on a way to let boosters give players tons of cash to influence what school they go to. What could go wrong.

Well, since that will never happen, you could instead just focus on watching the Ivy League since that's the closest microcosm of what you are looking for. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, not athletics. And I don't mean offense or anything in what I'm saying, I'm pretty serious. Watching Ivy League basketball is actually pretty fun, and it's a league I probably wind up watching more than others besides our games.

Not really. ODU is the microcosm of what I am looking for. Hell, most of the players in P5 would even fit my model. What we lose is all of the one and done players. I propose bringing back the mandatory Freshman redshirt year. That would weed out an awful lot of the kids who don't want to go to class as long as you force them to attend classes and maintain their grades in those classes.

The reality of what the NCAA, and more importantly the Presidents, don't understand is that college sports is about the name on the front of the jersey. NCAA sports would do just fine without the kids who have no interest in college. Again I don't believe there are a ton of those, just enough to create a problem. After an initial shock from slightly lower level talent, the NCAA would end up stronger, because you would have more 4 year players, and fans would be able to better engage with their team. Guys like Zion are not needed for college sports to flourish. There will always be stars, there will always be All Americans, and everything will work itself out to where the fans don't even notice or care that the uber elite players aren't on the court.
10-29-2019 03:57 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 03:32 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  There is no “arguably best coach”. John Wooden won 9 NCAA Division 1 Championships in a 10 stretch. Including 7 in a row. The best coach ever. Period. Thus endeth the lesson.

Different time, different landscape. Nobody, including Wooden could approach that in the current college basketball landscape. You know what else nobody can accomplish in the current college basketball landscape? Coach K's 3 decades of dominance, but he did. College Basketball in the 21st Century... lesson complete.
10-29-2019 04:01 PM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Fewer D1 teams. Tougher competition for the talent pool. Only 16 teams went to the tournament, not 35 at large bids. If you didn’t win your conference you didn’t go. That would knock out several of Coach K’s titles, and most of his NCAA appearances. The NCAA didn’t change the rules of the game to counter Duke like they did UCLA. When Lew Alcindor was becoming eligible to counter his expected Dominance they outlawed the dunk. A rule change directed at Alcindor (now Jabbar) and UCLA. Has coach K ever faced specific rule changes aimed at him?

Yes different eras. But you coach to your era. 9 titles in 10 years. 7 in a row.

Dean Smith 3 decades of dominance in the college game. There have been many many coaches with long storied careers. Yes Coach K is #2, but is not the best. Graduate class now over.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 04:37 PM by ODU True Blue.)
10-29-2019 04:36 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(10-29-2019 03:25 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  Let me add something to this highly profound ruling today which will blow apart the threads that hold together college sports as we know it, today and forever....

I’m a vegan

Do you also do crossfit? I'm guessing no since you haven't told us yet.
10-29-2019 04:46 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 04:46 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 03:25 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  Let me add something to this highly profound ruling today which will blow apart the threads that hold together college sports as we know it, today and forever....

I’m a vegan

Do you also do crossfit? I'm guessing no since you haven't told us yet.

Pellets or cecotropes? 03-lmfao
10-29-2019 04:55 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Pretty much.

You can't convince me that someone being offered all this, free education, training, food, clothes, etc. is "not being paid."
10-29-2019 04:57 PM
Coltluv Offline
Bench Warmer

The problem is forcing kids to go to college that don't want to. Zion didn't need that 1 semester he didn't need Coach K he didn't need their trainers or facilities he could have went straight to the pros... Hell playing at Duke almost cost him millions of dollars when he went down with a knee injury
In my opinion Colleges forced the NBA and Nfl to make these players go to college so I have no pity for the NCAA. Why is it Baseball players can skip college
10-29-2019 06:04 PM
Advertisement

Coltluv Offline
Bench Warmer

And this notion of a free education blows me their is nothing free about a Athletic Scholarship. I refer to as getting a degree Debt free!!![/align]
10-29-2019 06:07 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 06:04 PM)Coltluv Wrote:  The problem is forcing kids to go to college that don't want to. Zion didn't need that 1 semester he didn't need Coach K he didn't need their trainers or facilities he could have went straight to the pros... Hell playing at Duke almost cost him millions of dollars when he went down with a knee injury
In my opinion Colleges forced the NBA and Nfl to make these players go to college so I have no pity for the NCAA. Why is it Baseball players can skip college
Playing at Duke made him millions. Duke and ESPN built a massive brand for him that translated to millions before he ever stepped on the floor. It would have taken time for him to build that brand without going to college.

Also, it is not the NCAA that is making people go to college. Place that blame and burden where it belongs, with the NBA who is counting on NCAA to build the stars of it players before they have to pay them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
10-29-2019 08:04 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2019 06:07 PM)Coltluv Wrote:  And this notion of a free education blows me their is nothing free about a Athletic Scholarship. I refer to as getting a degree Debt free!!![/align]
Call it what you want, but he received things of great value for his effort, and Duke received great value from him. Seems like a fair deal. A deal that Zion did not have to make. He could have not played basketball and payed to go to college, he could have gone to Europe and gotten paid to play basketball, he could have sat out a year and paid trainers to work him out while he waited for the NBA to deem him eligible. The NCAA did not hold a gun to his head a make him go to college.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
10-29-2019 08:08 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2019 06:04 PM)Coltluv Wrote:  The problem is forcing kids to go to college that don't want to. Zion didn't need that 1 semester he didn't need Coach K he didn't need their trainers or facilities he could have went straight to the pros... Hell playing at Duke almost cost him millions of dollars when he went down with a knee injury

The baseball players that skip college typically dont get the majors for years. There is no viable minor league for basketball or football.
10-29-2019 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.