I Root For: Cincinnati
NCAA Board of Governors Unanimously Votes to Allow Athletes to Profit
WE GET NCAA FOOTBALL 2021!!!!!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...O8s-U3qxfQ

Quote:NCAA votes to allow athletes to profit from likeness
1:50 PM ET
Dan Murphy
ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain a priority of the education and the collegiate experience, and that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."

The association's board of governors gathered Tuesday morning on the campus of Emory University for their final regularly scheduled meeting of 2019. Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and Big East commissioner Val Ackerman presented recommendations to the board members on how to modify the NCAA's rules on students profiting from name, image and likeness. Smith and Ackerman have spent the past several months spearheading a working group that was appointed to evaluate the issue.

The working group was formed in May, months after a pair of politicians proposed bills to make the NCAA's rules about endorsement deals illegal. Nancy Skinner, a democratic California state senator, wrote a bill that was signed into law in late September. That law will prohibit California schools from punishing their athletes for accepting endorsement money starting in January 2023.

More than a dozen states have expressed interest in creating laws similar to California's in the past several months. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis last week voiced his support for a bill introduced in his state that could go into effect sometime this summer if passed in its current form. The variety of solutions proposed in different states prompted NCAA leaders including president Mark Emmert to say that they would prefer a uniform national law or rule that applies to all members of their association.

U.S. Congressman Mark Walker (R-N.C.) proposed a bill to change the federal tax code in a way that would likely force the NCAA to give all student-athletes the rights to sell their name, image and likeness. The current proposal would create an unrestricted market for college athletes to seek endorsement deals. Walker said earlier this month that he hoped to bring his bill to a vote in early 2020, which could mean it would go into effect in January 2021.

Walker and Skinner both said they would be willing to modify their legislation or work with the NCAA to create new rules, but they felt legislative pressure was necessary to force college sports' leader to act.

Another federal bill that will likely allow for some NCAA regulation is expected soon. Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, a current Republic from Ohio and former college and professional football player, plans to introduce his own legislation in the coming months. Gonzalez played wide receiver at Ohio State during Smith's first two years as athletic director for the Buckeyes. Gonzalez said he has talked to Smith about ways to install "guard rails" to avoid unintended negative consequences while making what Gonzalez considers to be some necessary changes.

Gonzalez previously said he wanted to hear what Smith and Ackerman proposed at Tuesday's meeting before introducing new legislation.

The NCAA's typical legislative process runs from November through April. The deadline to propose new rules for the board's consideration is this week, but exceptions have been made in the past to consider late proposals. After soliciting feedback from leaders of all three divisions of college sports, the board votes on proposed rules during their annual April meeting.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 01:27 PM by BearcatMan.)
10-29-2019 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dubcat14 Offline
1st String

RE: NCAA Board of Governors Unanimously Votes to Allow Athletes to Profit
(10-29-2019 01:22 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  WE GET NCAA FOOTBALL 2021!!!!!

In all seriousness, I'm curious how long it'd take EA Sports to update the game? EA has been upfront about wanting to bring it back. They'd first need NCAA to approve player compensation for likeness, then to negotiate a contract with all players assumably through an association, then they can develop. They could likely start development (who say's they haven't) and work for fall of 2020 under the risk that NCAA goes through with this and it doesn't fall through anywhere.

Edit: I've heard jokingly that 90% of players would happily take a copy of the video game as compensation though it would obviously end up being more. 18 year olds would just be happy to see their likeness in a game.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 01:40 PM by dubcat14.)
10-29-2019 01:33 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(10-29-2019 01:33 PM)dubcat14 Wrote:  

In all seriousness, I'm curious how long it'd take EA Sports to update the game? EA has been upfront about wanting to bring it back. They'd first need NCAA to approve player compensation for likeness, then to negotiate a contract with all players assumably through an association, then they can develop. They could likely start development (who say's they haven't) and work for fall of 2020 under the risk that NCAA goes through with this and it doesn't fall through anywhere.

They've got a working framework for the sport with Madden, and I'm guessing that they have some sort of UI built in principle for all of the Dynasty stuff given the comments that EA Sports Division execs have said in recent years about how much they would like the franchise back so they aren't exactly building it from the ground up. If I had to guess, your timetable would make sense...they could probably have it up and running for Fall 2020.

As a note, the NFLPA doesn't disclose all royalty disbursements, but it is estimated that any named athlete in Madden receives roughly $2500/appearance. I would expect the per student payouts from EA to be around $1000 and probably a copy of the game, with the cover athletes getting more obviously.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 01:42 PM by BearcatMan.)
10-29-2019 01:40 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(10-29-2019 01:40 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

They've got a working framework for the sport with Madden, and I'm guessing that they have some sort of UI built in principle for all of the Dynasty stuff given the comments that EA Sports Division execs have said in recent years about how much they would like the franchise back so they aren't exactly building it from the ground up. If I had to guess, your timetable would make sense...they could probably have it up and running for Fall 2020.

Please Please Please Please Please

Been having to settle for running the Chip Kelly playbook in Madden 18 with a fast drafted qb.

10-29-2019 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Online

(10-29-2019 01:42 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Been having to settle for running the Chip Kelly playbook in Madden 18 with a fast drafted qb.

I'm still running out the NCAA 14 game with Operation Sports roster updates...but man is my PS3 chugging along now.

10-29-2019 01:42 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(10-29-2019 01:42 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I'm still running out the NCAA 14 game with Operation Sports roster updates...but man is my PS3 chugging along now.

I‘be still got the PS3. Should I be looking to upgrade?

10-29-2019 01:48 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
NCAA Board of Governors Unanimously Votes to Allow Athletes to Profit
I always enjoyed the mascot games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-29-2019 01:49 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

03-lmfao03-lmfao same except running on Xbox360. Had to make one switch swapping in Alec Pierce who wasn't on the roster for I forget who they'd made a top wide receiver.. whoever it was, it didn't sound right. They may have kept Kahlil Lewis on by accident. Also improved Bryant a few notches but I think besides that OS did a good job with Cincy's roster.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 01:53 PM by dubcat14.)
10-29-2019 01:51 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS

Dan Murphy
ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain a priority of the education and the collegiate experience, and that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."

The association's board of governors gathered Tuesday morning on the campus of Emory University for their final regularly scheduled meeting of 2019. Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and Big East commissioner Val Ackerman presented recommendations to the board members on how to modify the NCAA's rules on students profiting from name, image and likeness. Smith and Ackerman have spent the past several months spearheading a working group that was appointed to evaluate the issue.

The working group was formed in May, months after a pair of politicians proposed bills to make the NCAA's rules about endorsement deals illegal. Nancy Skinner, a democratic California state senator, wrote a bill that was signed into law in late September. That law will prohibit California schools from punishing their athletes for accepting endorsement money starting in January 2023.

More than a dozen states have expressed interest in creating laws similar to California's in the past several months. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis last week voiced his support for a bill introduced in his state that could go into effect sometime this summer if passed in its current form. The variety of solutions proposed in different states prompted NCAA leaders including president Mark Emmert to say that they would prefer a uniform national law or rule that applies to all members of their association.

U.S. Congressman Mark Walker (R-N.C.) proposed a bill to change the federal tax code in a way that would likely force the NCAA to give all student-athletes the rights to sell their name, image and likeness. The current proposal would create an unrestricted market for college athletes to seek endorsement deals. Walker said earlier this month that he hoped to bring his bill to a vote in early 2020, which could mean it would go into effect in January 2021.

Walker and Skinner both said they would be willing to modify their legislation or work with the NCAA to create new rules, but they felt legislative pressure was necessary to force college sports' leader to act.

Another federal bill that will likely allow for some NCAA regulation is expected soon. Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, a current Republic from Ohio and former college and professional football player, plans to introduce his own legislation in the coming months. Gonzalez played wide receiver at Ohio State during Smith's first two years as athletic director for the Buckeyes. Gonzalez said he has talked to Smith about ways to install "guard rails" to avoid unintended negative consequences while making what Gonzalez considers to be some necessary changes.

Gonzalez previously said he wanted to hear what Smith and Ackerman proposed at Tuesday's meeting before introducing new legislation.

The NCAA's typical legislative process runs from November through April. The deadline to propose new rules for the board's consideration is this week, but exceptions have been made in the past to consider late proposals. After soliciting feedback from leaders of all three divisions of college sports, the board votes on proposed rules during their annual April meeting.
What does "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."
mean?

10-29-2019 01:52 PM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
(10-29-2019 01:52 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

Dan Murphy
ESPN Staff Writer

What does "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."
mean?

Are they "college athletes" free to investigate and accept offers during the recruiting process or only after they enroll in a university? Don't wish to offend all the Big Blue fans on this board but for example can every incoming one and done player have his own Lexington car dealership promotional inducement payments for their likeness? Can pictures of Louisville players be on the marquee of every strip bar in the city 05-stirthepot

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 02:43 PM by cincybb51.)
10-29-2019 02:12 PM
BearcatMan Online

(10-29-2019 01:48 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 01:33 PM)dubcat14 Wrote:  In all seriousness, I'm curious how long it'd take EA Sports to update the game? EA has been upfront about wanting to bring it back. They'd first need NCAA to approve player compensation for likeness, then to negotiate a contract with all players assumably through an association, then they can develop. They could likely start development (who say's they haven't) and work for fall of 2020 under the risk that NCAA goes through with this and it doesn't fall through anywhere.

I‘be still got the PS3. Should I be looking to upgrade?

Wait a year and just get the PS5...then you'll have a UHD 4K device that can stream and play games/videos in native 4K for your grandchildren...Rimshot

10-29-2019 02:14 PM
Advertisement

bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Dan Murphy
ESPN Staff Writer

now, let the Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, North Carolina, Notre Dame boosters start throwing money in by the millions to entice the young potential stars with advertising dollars.
Small schools are doomed now. Thanks NCAA. We always could count on the NCAAA to ruin the game.

10-29-2019 07:04 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
And people think this will solve all the problems and corruption. It has just begun, the slippery slope has been slipped, enjoy the ride...

10-29-2019 09:59 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Every car dealer in Columbus will have football players promoting the latest Dodge Dart. Tattoo parlor owners are gonna be flush with cash for advertising Justin Fields latest arm band.

10-29-2019 10:31 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-29-2019 07:04 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  now, let the Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, North Carolina, Notre Dame boosters start throwing money in by the millions to entice the young potential stars with advertising dollars.
Small schools are doomed now. Thanks NCAA. We always could count on the NCAAA to ruin the game.

It's true, this will now allow Duke and Kentucky to be good at basketball.

10-29-2019 10:39 PM
glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

I Root For: air joiner
All it solves is bringing some of the current payments out from under the table, generating more tax revenue, and bringing back some good video game series. I am all for it.

10-29-2019 10:50 PM
Advertisement

jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(10-29-2019 10:50 PM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  All it solves is bringing some of the current payments out from under the table, generating more tax revenue, and bringing back some good video game series. I am all for it.

You are being extremely naive and ignorant if you think that is all that will happen. The flood gates are opened, and college sports as we know them are toast.

People forget the reason college sports are s thing to begin with. The best players and athletes are in the NBA and NFL, if everything is professionalized then whst incentive is there to care about college sports? People like college sports because of the pageantry, the amateurism, and ties to their community.

Alot of that will eventually be gone. Also a good chunck of schools simply wont be able to compete with this new model, especially with new rules allowing immediate transfer. It will be the wild wild west, and complete chaos. Can you imagine Jarron Cumberland being like I don't like running laps, hey I got an offer from this car dealer in Columbus for a cool $mil to comenplay for them. See ya JB, I am out. And he is suiting up for them the next week.

Ultimately this is happening because the NCAA is spineless and never has been ablento control their organization, they were only interested in creating the illusion of amateurism.

10-30-2019 05:26 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
We got to approve it first to see what happens. Everyone thought Y2K was going to make the world explode as well. It ended up being a tiny fart in the audience hall.

10-30-2019 06:12 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Still believe they need a total overall that includes revising the fbs post season. We basically need fairness and equity legislation in college athletics that regulates player compensation, endorsements, transfers, and guarantees that every conference champion is eligible for that sports post season championship.

10-30-2019 06:25 AM
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
There is absolutely no way to regulate this.

Instead of the old $100 hand shakes, boosters give players $100 for a wallet sized picture in return - maybe it is even signed.

10-30-2019 06:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.