Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best new idea out of DC
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Best new idea out of DC
Best new idea out of DC is quite a while.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/23/haw...out-of-dc/

"...Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) and Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) have proposed new legislation to move 90 percent of federal agency jobs out of Washington, D.C. The “HIRE” bill aims to move jobs into the heartland and economically-distressed regions throughout the country...."
10-24-2019 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Best new idea out of DC
Should have been done long ago.

Its why some of these agencies are so incompetent with the same group of "dont give a sh*t" employees. They can change agencies on a whim, collect a hefty government check, government pension, and still live in their fine Virginia home, send their kids to private schools (because public schools lulz) and have the exact same commute.

Now, if you want to work for the Dept of Agriculture, move to Missouri.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Notice how when they did this with the USDA, resignations were rampant. That was a good thing. But all they did was to try to get re-assigned into another DC agency.
10-24-2019 09:52 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I'm not that keen on giving them that much power over their districts and states. This is a bad idea.
10-24-2019 10:04 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Makes sense. The Reserve Banks are spread out across the country primarily so they can get a feel for the economics of each distinct area. Don't see why other agencies couldn't follow the same reasoning.
10-24-2019 10:14 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
'bout time the right got 'right' in DUTY!
10-24-2019 10:15 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(10-24-2019 09:43 AM)bullet Wrote:  Best new idea out of DC is quite a while.

"...Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) and Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) have proposed new legislation to move 90 percent of federal agency jobs out of Washington, D.C. The “HIRE” bill aims to move jobs into the heartland and economically-distressed regions throughout the country...."

Sounds like a good way to turn the heartland into a democrat voting swamp. The idea has good intentions, but I'd rather contain the sewer to where it is now.
10-24-2019 11:11 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-24-2019 11:11 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Sounds like a good way to turn the heartland into a democrat voting swamp. The idea has good intentions, but I'd rather contain the sewer to where it is now.

Or maybe get some conservatives in government.
10-24-2019 12:05 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Best new idea out of DC
This is a good idea that will never happen. Besides the head honchos will still be in DC to maintain the swamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-24-2019 02:52 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(10-24-2019 10:14 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Makes sense. The Reserve Banks are spread out across the country primarily so they can get a feel for the economics of each distinct area. Don't see why other agencies couldn't follow the same reasoning.

Just a point of clarification -- the reserve banks are private and not government agencies.

But your point is still valid.
10-24-2019 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Id rather see many of these bureau's dissolved instead of moved. Just rearranging the deck chairs IMO.
10-24-2019 05:22 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Just lead to an even bigger federal workforce.
10-24-2019 05:56 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(10-24-2019 05:56 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Just lead to an even bigger federal workforce.

Yep. It will lead to the expansion of the bureaucracies involved. Almost a guarantee. Just ONCE I'd like to see one of these departments be eliminated instead of expanded or repurposed in order to preserve the jobs of middle class bureaucrats.
10-24-2019 06:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-24-2019 06:11 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 05:56 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Just lead to an even bigger federal workforce.

Yep. It will lead to the expansion of the bureaucracies involved. Almost a guarantee. Just ONCE I'd like to see one of these departments be eliminated instead of expanded or repurposed in order to preserve the jobs of middle class bureaucrats.

Rick Perry said he would eliminate agencies if President. He should start with his own, DOE. No reason that stuff can't be done in other departments. It was in Interior not that long ago.
10-24-2019 07:21 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Dunno, it might serve to rid the affected agencies of their leftist swamp rats. Part of the allure of government work is being in close quarters with the movers and shakers. Hard to do that when you are working at USDA HQ in St Louis.
10-25-2019 06:50 AM
stinkfist Online

(10-25-2019 06:50 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Dunno, it might serve to rid the affected agencies of their leftist swamp rats. Part of the allure of government work is being in close quarters with the movers and shakers. Hard to do that when you are working at USDA HQ in St Louis.

that's my take....

I don't understand the continual growth aspect....that's going to happen no matter they end up doing...

I'm easily in favor of 'gotta make it separated'... 'course being cons, that would make us "racists"

#aContinuallyEvolvingMachine
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2019 07:04 AM by stinkfist.)
10-25-2019 07:00 AM
stinkfist Online

(10-24-2019 05:22 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Id rather see many of these bureau's dissolved instead of moved. Just rearranging the deck chairs IMO.

we can only wish at this point....
10-25-2019 07:01 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(10-25-2019 06:50 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Some of that is probably true..but..My son in law had a 4 year clerkship with the feds for 2 judges. He can attest that the real allure to working on the federal level are the benefits. If I had it all to do over again I would have done whatever it took to get a federal government job. Id be comfortably retired for 6 years instead of still being a baby sitter to factory workers waiting for age 62.
10-25-2019 07:11 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Spreading agencies around has several benefits that I can see. One, it would help break the Beltway mindset by getting people out into the country to experience different points of view. This is the same idea behind my proposal to increase the Supreme Court to twelve justices, one drawn from each of the 11 federal judicial circuits and the DC Circuit. Two, it puts regulators in closer proximity to the people they regulate, so they better understand WTF they are doing. When your only contacts with the people you regulate are reading responses to NOPRs and litigating the occasional case involving them, it's hard to know what the real issues are. Three, it would make lobbying a lot harder. People talk about lobbying congress critters, but the real heavy lifting of lobbying takes place with the regulators. As long as they are all in DC, it's easy. Spread them all over the country and it gets harder.

I would go further. The proliferation of alphabet soup regulatory agencies has largely occurred because congress has seen fit to punt power to them, rather than vote on substantive issues and take heat from back home over it. I would pass three reforms to the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). One, subject every new regulation to congressional advise and consent--automatically if it has a greater impact than some defined amount, and below that amount if say 20% of congress petitions to review it. The agency could declare an emergency, in which case review is automatic and congress must vote up or down within 30 days. Two, every agency, and every regulation issued by that agency, is subject to sunset review every the years. This gets rid of redundant agencies and of regulations that are outdated or that haven't worked out as planned. Three, currently if you have a dispute with an agency, that dispute is decided in a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ) who reports ultimately to--guess whom--the executive director of the agency. Create a separate pool of ALJs who report to some independent governing body (like Texas and Oregon) or create separate Article III administrative law courts (like Europe) to handle such cases.

By the way, who gets hurt by spreading agencies around? Well, real estate values in suburban DC would crater, meaning that Maryland and Virginia would turn against whatever party voted it in. And as long as Virginia remains a large swing state, that means it will never happen.
10-25-2019 07:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.