Down the Drive : Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Down the Drive : Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season
https://www.downthedrive.com/2019/10/22/...019-season

Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season

Ignore the media and the rumblings, Luke Fickell is not leaving Cincinnati after the 2019 season.

Good news? Since the start of 2018, Bearcats football has won 17 of 20 games

Bad news? When you are a “smaller school” in college football and have that type of success, it usually means you’re coach is highly sought after.

And that’s what is happening with Cincinnati and coach Luke Fickell. It’s that time of the year, where the head coaching rumors heat up and it’s year 3 at Cincinnati. Three of the last four coaches, moved on to high profile jobs after year 3 - Mark Dantonio after 2006 to Michigan State, Brian Kelly after 2009 to Notre Dame, and Butch Jones after 2012 to Tennessee.

So it’s year three for Fickell. Is that a reason to be concerned? The simplest answer is no.

Here are three reasons why fans should not be concerned.

10-22-2019 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
RE: Down the Drive : Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season
(10-22-2019 10:36 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  https://www.downthedrive.com/2019/10/22/...019-season

Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season

Ignore the media and the rumblings, Luke Fickell is not leaving Cincinnati after the 2019 season.

Good news? Since the start of 2018, Bearcats football has won 17 of 20 games

Bad news? When you are a “smaller school” in college football and have that type of success, it usually means you’re coach is highly sought after.

And that’s what is happening with Cincinnati and coach Luke Fickell. It’s that time of the year, where the head coaching rumors heat up and it’s year 3 at Cincinnati. Three of the last four coaches, moved on to high profile jobs after year 3 - Mark Dantonio after 2006 to Michigan State, Brian Kelly after 2009 to Notre Dame, and Butch Jones after 2012 to Tennessee.

So it’s year three for Fickell. Is that a reason to be concerned? The simplest answer is no.

Here are three reasons why fans should not be concerned.

Agree with all the above. I think it was Fick's main goal with taking the job here was to eventually be considered by 1) OSU and if not feasible then 2) Notre Dame. I do think Cincinnati has impressed Fick (He seems happy here) enough he will not really look too much besides those two.

Only Fake News is USC and Fick only being to California a couple times. He has been there plenty. Also, played in a Rose Bowl and OSU played @Cal a few years back along with I'm sure other trips for recruiting etc. Either way I understand and agree with the point being made.

10-22-2019 10:51 AM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Down the Drive : Why Luke Fickell Will Not Leave Cincinnati After 2019 Season
That article sounds like more of wishful thinking and opinion more than anything. There was an article the other day in the Enquirer that said there is a rumor the Illinois AD has already been sniffing around. Alluding that he was checking to see what Fickell's contract buyout would be. To me, these couple of snippets from Fickell don't sound like a guy who is committed to staying around. I know he doesn't want to be backed into a corner by stating "I'm staying", only to leave later. But this sounds a little too evasive for my liking:

The third-year coach says he's not running from the whispers success creates.

"I think it's the greatest thing that can happen," Fickell said. "People might say, 'Oh, those guys might leave.' You know what – you better hope that we have an opportunity to leave because if we don't have an opportunity to leave it means we're not winning."

Fickell said he addresses questions head-on from recruits and their parents about his future.

"The first thing I say is, 'darn right, if we aren't winning and we don't have an opportunity and people aren't talking about us, I'd be careful coming to a program that doesn't have energy and momentum,'" he said. "Now, with that being said, I want you to know what's important to me."

Evan Prater's mother, Lori Prater, said she understands coaching is a profession and business decisions are made all the time. Still, Fickell and his staff, even with the potential to move on sooner than later, was a major factor in Evan Prater's decision. UC is where he said he wants to play. Fickell is the coach he wants to play for.

"It can change in a second," Lori Prater said.

10-22-2019 11:10 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Is Dantonio really on the hot seat? He's only 4-3, but every loss is to a ranked team. I know they have higher standards than that, but still...

And Illinois? Don't look now, but Lovie Smith just beat a top-10 team. He might keep his job. Even if Lovie is fired.... Illinois is a place where coaching careers go to die. If Fickell was willing to take the Illinois job, he would have bolted last year for West Virginia or Louisville.

10-22-2019 11:28 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I would not discount Penn State, and of course ND. But my guess like a lot of yours are he waits for about 2 years until osu opens up.

I can see Michigan State being tempting. They have a good alumni base with good resources. The right coach can win there.

10-22-2019 11:29 AM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'm curious if Fickell and Ryan Day talk much. Or if Fickell initiates talks about what Day's long term plans are.

The way I see it, hot jobs will always be out there for Fickell - I'm sure he knows that. It's alright to be selective and no reason to jump at the first thing that comes through the door. It's Illinois this year, next year will probably be something bigger, and if you wait long enough OSU comes through the door..

10-22-2019 11:32 AM
Advertisement

jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Big jobs that could be open..

Michigan
Mich St
ND
Tenn
OSU (rumors Day could be looked at in NFL)
Alabama (who knows how long Saban stays)
USC
Oklahoma (Riley has been rumored in past for NFL)
Florida State
Miami
Virginia Tech
Arkansas

I am not sure what exactly Fick would be looking at and obviously that is all speculation if any of these jobs are opened. But they all could easily double CLF salary and then some. So hopefully Bohn is schmoozing with the boosters to get the Brinks trucks lined up.

10-22-2019 11:39 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-22-2019 11:28 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Is Dantonio really on the hot seat? He's only 4-3, but every loss is to a ranked team. I know they have higher standards than that, but still...

And Illinois? Don't look now, but Lovie Smith just beat a top-10 team. He might keep his job. Even if Lovie is fired.... Illinois is a place where coaching careers go to die. If Fickell was willing to take the Illinois job, he would have bolted last year for West Virginia or Louisville.

There has been a lot of talk of him retiring, not a termination. He is 63 and recently became the all-time wins leader at the school. OTOH, while he is generally revered in East Lansing, there has been a lot of talk of discontent with his offensive philosophy. Some want a regime change. I think this actually can be a good thing for us in that if he retires, MSU may go a different direction with their next hire. CLF is cut awfully close to the same cloth as MD.

As to what Fick actually does this off season who knows. Sure we'll never be able to match the dollars that an MSU or some of the other P5 teams could offer him, but he could seal a great legacy here by sticking around for the long haul. UC could probably get him up to a little over $3M/year and bump up the assistant pool handsomely. Of course, some guys have bigger dreams and aspirations.

10-22-2019 11:51 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
If Michigan State drops a line, he’s likely bye-bye.

Somehow as fans we never seem to learn. We want our coaches to perform at a level that huge money, support and opportunity to compete comes a callin’.

We are at the three year mark...get ready for the rumor mill come December.

10-22-2019 12:02 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Agreed - unfortunately UC just can't compete with the P5 money, tv, and bowl access.

10-22-2019 12:08 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

(10-22-2019 12:02 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  If Michigan State drops a line, he’s likely bye-bye.

Somehow as fans we never seem to learn. We want our coaches to perform at a level that huge money, support and opportunity to compete comes a callin’.

I pretty much accept the fact that if a coach is hired and succeeds he will be out of here. I keep trying to convince myself that Fickell will be different, but I know he will likely be gone soon.

I am just hoping Fickell, or some other talented young coach is willing to give us 5 or 6 years. I think some stability would really help out this program in a big way.

10-22-2019 12:12 PM
Advertisement

C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(10-22-2019 11:10 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  That article sounds like more of wishful thinking and opinion more than anything. There was an article the other day in the Enquirer that said there is a rumor the Illinois AD has already been sniffing around. Alluding that he was checking to see what Fickell's contract buyout would be. To me, these couple of snippets from Fickell don't sound like a guy who is committed to staying around. I know he doesn't want to be backed into a corner by stating "I'm staying", only to leave later. But this sounds a little too evasive for my liking:

The third-year coach says he's not running from the whispers success creates.

"I think it's the greatest thing that can happen," Fickell said. "People might say, 'Oh, those guys might leave.' You know what – you better hope that we have an opportunity to leave because if we don't have an opportunity to leave it means we're not winning."

Fickell said he addresses questions head-on from recruits and their parents about his future.

"The first thing I say is, 'darn right, if we aren't winning and we don't have an opportunity and people aren't talking about us, I'd be careful coming to a program that doesn't have energy and momentum,'" he said. "Now, with that being said, I want you to know what's important to me."

Evan Prater's mother, Lori Prater, said she understands coaching is a profession and business decisions are made all the time. Still, Fickell and his staff, even with the potential to move on sooner than later, was a major factor in Evan Prater's decision. UC is where he said he wants to play. Fickell is the coach he wants to play for.

"It can change in a second," Lori Prater said.

I think you have to go back and check what question was asked and how it was asked on some of those quotes. I watched that press conference and I think they specifically asked him what he says to recruits when it is specifically brought up that other schools are discussing hiring him, Freeman, etc...

I’m not going to fool myself into thinking he will not leave after this season, but I think it would have to be the right fit and I think there are very few and they don’t have openings very often.

Edit: Luckily if he does I think we have a great in house candidate that knows the program, the recruits, and will be able to build upon the foundation that Fickell has built. Freeman seems to have everything you would be looking for in a young coach, IMO.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 12:23 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
10-22-2019 12:20 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(10-22-2019 12:02 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  If Michigan State drops a line, he’s likely bye-bye.

I'd take that bet. Sure MSU is a better job than UC but we're basically going head to head for recruits now. You're always the little brother in your state and at best the #4 program in your division. It's a better job but I don't think it's enough to overcome the 6 kid family aspect of it.

This guy is different. He spent 20 years in Columbus with very little ambition to move. OSU, ND, PSU, and UM are too big to pass up. If he's offered any of those jobs he's gone. I just dont think the middle tier jobs are enough to pass the family issues.

10-22-2019 12:29 PM
bcat80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats

Donators
How old is his youngest kid? Unless OSU opens up I doubt he leaves until his youngest graduates high school.

10-22-2019 12:38 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

MSU might be intriguing with Harbaugh flaming out at Michigan and seemingly on a downward trend both in recruiting and on-field performance.

One constant that I hear from osu alums regarding Fickell is "we love the guy, but man we don't want to go back to Tresselball." Fair or not, it seems like a pretty common sentiment.

10-22-2019 12:40 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-22-2019 12:38 PM)bcat80 Wrote:  How old is his youngest kid? Unless OSU opens up I doubt he leaves until his youngest graduates high school.

His oldest will be a senior next year. The youngest, a set of twins, are five.

10-22-2019 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

(10-22-2019 12:40 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  MSU might be intriguing with Harbaugh flaming out at Michigan and seemingly on a downward trend both in recruiting and on-field performance.

One constant that I hear from osu alums regarding Fickell is "we love the guy, but man we don't want to go back to Tresselball." Fair or not, it seems like a pretty common sentiment.

I don't think I know any Buckeye fans that have a bad thing to say about Fickell. Some fans would like Fickell to be their coach cause they are loyal to Buckeye players, but the fans who I consider really smart when it comes to football don't want him to be the OSU head coach.

One day Fickell may prove me wrong, but I am not sure he has "it" to become one of the premier coaches in the NCAA, and at this stage, that is what OSU will hire. I think Fickell's sweet spot is at a place like UC, or a middle of the pack Big 10 team where his brand of coaching can really work.

10-22-2019 12:48 PM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
I am just going to enjoy the current season and root for the best possible success. And not worry about things out of my control; hopefully potential and committed recruits don't come to these boards and read all the gloomy speculation.

10-22-2019 12:51 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

Yup.

And I don't care what anybody says, the $$$ and the prestige job trumps "family" and "program building."

10-22-2019 12:51 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Fickell will be gone by the time we play at ND. Anyone who thinks Luke is different is super naive. It’s just the nature of the beast. But it means we had a good run while he was here. Just gotta keep finding the right replacement.

10-22-2019 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.