Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Basketball Showcase Event
Bookmark and Share
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Went to event this afternoon there was a good crowd. After seeing the men’s team scrimmage in person I have to change my predictions for the upcoming season. I was very worried that they wouldn’t have enough scoring besides German and I think that’s the case. Lacey James and Noah McCarty seem to be the other scoring options along with Rod Henry-Hayes and Hankerson. Darius Bean is very smooth and seems to have a lot of basketball skills but doesn’t seem very aggressive as a shooter. He definitely looks to pass first. I cannot for the life of me believe that Monty thought he had enough scoring assembled on this team. This is probably going to be German jacking up 25 shots a game. My new prediction is 10-12 wins! Monty actually said “we are young and we still have a lot to learn”
10-20-2019 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
This “we are young” excuse is getting pretty old. There are experienced players on this team. It’s not all young freshmen.
10-20-2019 03:22 PM
thetachihuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: NIU Basketball Showcase Event
Monty is and has been a total bust.
10-20-2019 04:38 PM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

I also attended the open house and I had a similar reaction. My question to the person I was sitting with was “ who besides German is gonna provide some consistent scoring?” James and McCarthy will chip in their 8-10 per game but after that a lot of question marks in my opinion. Agree also Monty should get no more extensions and not to let the door hit him on the way out.
10-20-2019 05:33 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Even if the Huskies have another mediocre season, I expect that Monty’s contract will be extended again.

I am, however, looking forward to basketball getting started. Sitting in a nice, warm arena with a beautiful video board and beer sales almost at arm’s length away. It sure beats sitting outside in the rain or freezing cold.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019 05:45 PM by Dog Fan.)
10-20-2019 05:41 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I missed this. Any comment(s) on how WBB is shaping up? Coach Carlsen has a full squad this year. Courtney Woods is back from injury. Some promising recruits. Just wondering.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019 08:54 PM by pvk75.)
10-20-2019 08:54 PM
Advertisement

dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Courtney Woods is back and she can still shoot. She won the 3pt contest they had today. She beat a girl and the guys best 3pt shooter. While she can still shoot I’m sure she will not be as mobile as she was. I expect the women’s team to be a 6 or 7 sed come MAC tourney time.
10-20-2019 09:19 PM
Beach Boy Offline
Bench Warmer

Woods looked good and so did 5-6 freshman Chelby Koker, who despite her lack of height really drove well to the hoop. Carlson's players really fight and work hard, but as usual they are missing a tall, dominant inside player. The Muncie paper reported Ball State is bringing in two 6-3 freshmen. Wouldn't it be nice for the Huskies to sign a 6-4 or 6-5 agile inside player, the type Al McGuire would call an "aircraft carrier." Keep trying, coach Carlson.
10-20-2019 10:06 PM
huskie87fan Offline
2nd String

(10-20-2019 02:58 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Went to event this afternoon there was a good crowd. After seeing the men’s team scrimmage in person I have to change my predictions for the upcoming season. I was very worried that they wouldn’t have enough scoring besides German and I think that’s the case. Lacey James and Noah McCarty seem to be the other scoring options along with Rod Henry-Hayes and Hankerson. Darius Bean is very smooth and seems to have a lot of basketball skills but doesn’t seem very aggressive as a shooter. He definitely looks to pass first. I cannot for the life of me believe that Monty thought he had enough scoring assembled on this team. This is probably going to be German jacking up 25 shots a game. My new prediction is 10-12 wins! Monty actually said “we are young and we still have a lot to learn”
I think you have the top 6 players above but they have enough offense because they will defend much better than last year plus they are as deep as any team Monty has had. Lacey will score 15 a game and will be a force on the defensive end with Noah. I think the season will be a good one due to senior leadership and if they can get another bigger guy or two (JC transfers and or Justin Lee) to be able to play good minutes to help Lacey and Noah this team will be best Monty has had. Levi and especially Jaylen were not the best defensively but Dante will be missed. I did get my season tickets.
10-21-2019 12:10 AM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

We have seen over and over that being good or decent at defense and being the team that makes the least amount of 3pters and overall points per game can not even get you over 500 in the MAC let alone a MACC. Monty has consistently treated the MAC like its the big ten where bigs matter when you have to treat the MAC like its d2, d3 where you have several good 3pt shooters on the team. I hope I’m wrong but after watching NIU in person I see them as a team that struggles to score 60pts. Freshman Tyler Cochran was playing with the first team instead of Rod Henrey-Hayes. Cochran does not appear to be at that level and on a side note he had his shorts pulled up like he was a 1970’s player. I hope his teammates don’t let him go out there in a real game looking like that!
10-21-2019 07:17 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-21-2019 07:17 AM)dc1 Wrote:  We have seen over and over that being good or decent at defense and being the team that makes the least amount of 3pters and overall points per game can not even get you over 500 in the MAC let alone a MACC. Monty has consistently treated the MAC like its the big ten where bigs matter when you have to treat the MAC like its d2, d3 where you have several good 3pt shooters on the team. I hope I’m wrong but after watching NIU in person I see them as a team that struggles to score 60pts. Freshman Tyler Cochran was playing with the first team instead of Rod Henrey-Hayes. Cochran does not appear to be at that level and on a side note he had his shorts pulled up like he was a 1970’s player. I hope his teammates don’t let him go out there in a real game looking like that!

Not looking good. Because NIU is 0 - 0 at this point, maybe Monty will get his extension before the season starts.
10-21-2019 07:43 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-20-2019 10:06 PM)Beach Boy Wrote:  Woods looked good and so did 5-6 freshman Chelby Koker, who despite her lack of height really drove well to the hoop. Carlson's players really fight and work hard, but as usual they are missing a tall, dominant inside player. The Muncie paper reported Ball State is bringing in two 6-3 freshmen. Wouldn't it be nice for the Huskies to sign a 6-4 or 6-5 agile inside player, the type Al McGuire would call an "aircraft carrier." Keep trying, coach Carlson.

I wonder how many women would like to be referred to as an aircraft carrier.
10-21-2019 09:07 AM
huskie87fan Offline
2nd String

(10-21-2019 07:17 AM)dc1 Wrote:  We have seen over and over that being good or decent at defense and being the team that makes the least amount of 3pters and overall points per game can not even get you over 500 in the MAC let alone a MACC. Monty has consistently treated the MAC like its the big ten where bigs matter when you have to treat the MAC like its d2, d3 where you have several good 3pt shooters on the team. I hope I’m wrong but after watching NIU in person I see them as a team that struggles to score 60pts. Freshman Tyler Cochran was playing with the first team instead of Rod Henrey-Hayes. Cochran does not appear to be at that level and on a side note he had his shorts pulled up like he was a 1970’s player. I hope his teammates don’t let him go out there in a real game looking like that!
I am not going to disagree with you but 3 point line is back a bit further this year. I think this will help the Huskies. It was an ugly scrimmage but if Geno hit his outside shots yesterday it would have looked a lot better. Each team did know what the other team was running. Cochran is a big guard (220 lbs) and I liked how he played on both ends of the court. He was a good pickup and I see him as the 4th guard on the team. Yes, hopefully he does not where his shorts like that in real games.
10-21-2019 10:37 AM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

(10-20-2019 08:54 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  I missed this. Any comment(s) on how WBB is shaping up? Coach Carlsen has a full squad this year. Courtney Woods is back from injury. Some promising recruits. Just wondering.

Like the others said Woods is back and maybe a half step slower but Erin Hodges is out for the year and you guessed it...ACL injury. She was very athletic and will be missed. The girls will be ok but I’m hoping for that breakout season and we’ll see if Coach C can deliver in her 5 th season.
10-21-2019 06:14 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I also think the 3pt line moved back will help NIU.
10-21-2019 06:28 PM
Beach Boy Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-21-2019 06:14 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  
(10-20-2019 08:54 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  I missed this. Any comment(s) on how WBB is shaping up? Coach Carlsen has a full squad this year. Courtney Woods is back from injury. Some promising recruits. Just wondering.

Like the others said Woods is back and maybe a half step slower but Erin Hodges is out for the year and you guessed it...ACL injury. She was very athletic and will be missed. The girls will be ok but I’m hoping for that breakout season and we’ll see if Coach C can deliver in her 5 th season.

Too bad about Erinn. The program seems cursed by ACL injuries.
10-21-2019 07:14 PM
Advertisement

prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
(10-20-2019 05:41 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Even if the Huskies have another mediocre season, I expect that Monty’s contract will be extended again.

I am, however, looking forward to basketball getting started. Sitting in a nice, warm arena with a beautiful video board and beer sales almost at arm’s length away. It sure beats sitting outside in the rain or freezing cold.

+1 I agree.

I also apologize I was rude to you over the weekend Dog Fan. I am a sore loser and was being a baby.
10-21-2019 07:26 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-21-2019 07:26 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  
(10-20-2019 05:41 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Even if the Huskies have another mediocre season, I expect that Monty’s contract will be extended again.

+1 I agree.

I also apologize I was rude to you over the weekend Dog Fan. I am a sore loser and was being a baby.

Thank you. I apologize too. It was not a good day on Saturday. I am a sore loser too. I get very frustrated with losing. Let’s hope the Huskies take it out on Akron next Saturday. I need to get that smile back on my face. (A hot dog at Huskie Stadium would help, too!)
10-21-2019 07:53 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
(10-21-2019 07:53 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1 I agree.

Thank you. I apologize too. It was not a good day on Saturday. I am a sore loser too. I get very frustrated with losing. Let’s hope the Huskies take it out on Akron next Saturday. I need to get that smile back on my face. (A hot dog at Huskie Stadium would help, too!)

Huskie Stadihm is my happy place too.

Even if our Huskies lose I am telling myself now I wont act like an ahole after.
10-21-2019 08:03 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-21-2019 08:03 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  
(10-21-2019 07:53 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1 I agree.

Huskie Stadihm is my happy place too.

Even if our Huskies lose I am telling myself now I wont act like an ahole after.

And, let’s not forget the BEST thing about Saturday — FREE BOBBLEHEADS!!!
10-21-2019 08:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.