Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Trump campaign to sue CNN over pro-impeachment bias, demands ‘substantial payment’
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Trump campaign to sue CNN over pro-impeachment bias, demands ‘substantial payment’
Quote:Outraged by secretly taped anti-Trump comments attributed to CNN President Jeff Zucker and others at the cable network, President Trump’s campaign is vowing to sue the company for “a substantial payment of damages.”

In a four-page letter to CNN, Zucker, and Executive Vice President David Vigilante, Trump attorney Charles J. Harder cited years of anti-Trump bias at the network and claimed the cable giant has broken its promise of “excellence in journalism.”

Listing several examples from the just-released Project Veritas videotapes of CNN insiders describing Zucker’s demand for “impeachment above all else,” Harder wrote that they “are merely the tip of the iceberg of the evidence my clients have accumulated over recent years.”

He added, “Never in the history of this country has a President been the subject of such a sustained barrage of unfair, unfounded, unethical and unlawful attacks by so-called 'mainstream' news, as the current situation.”

Harder represents both Trump and the campaign. The letter was provided exclusively to Secrets and is shown in full below.

CNN spokesman Matt Dornic said, "This is nothing more than a desperate PR stunt and doesn't merit a response."

While media is typically protected by the First Amendment, Harder said the bias he cited at CNN was a violation of the Lanham Act “by constituting misrepresentations to the public, to your advertisers, and to others” to distribute “truly fair and balanced” news.

“Accordingly, my clients intend to file legal action against you, to seek compensatory damages, treble damages, punitive damages, injunctive relief, reimbursement of legal costs, and all other available legal and equitable remedies, to the maximum extent permitted by law,” said the letter.

What’s more, he suggested that even if the campaign and CNN come to an agreement, he would seek money as part of that deal.

“Please contact the undersigned to discuss an appropriate resolution of this matter, which would include a substantial payment of damages, as well as all other appropriate measures that are necessary to fully address the magnitude of the situation,” wrote Harder in the letter sent by overnight mail and email on Wednesday.

Trump has long been at war with CNN and other media he dubs “fake news.” CNN’s White House reporter, Jim Acosta, and Trump have tussled publicly, and Acosta wrote a book sharply critical of the president titled The Enemy of the People.

In three new, secretly taped videos, Project Veritas said they show CNN insiders detailing Zucker’s anti-Trump views.

Those comments, wrote Harder, show that CNN is violating journalism ethics.

“Recently released video footage of individuals alleged to be your employees indicates that your reporting relating to President Trump is contrary to your own mission and the aforementioned Code of Ethics. Your own employees appear to state that CNN is focused on trying to ‘take down President Trump,’ driven by a ‘personal vendetta’ that Mr. Zucker purportedly has against him, rather than reporting the news in an objective manner," wrote Harder.

Link
10-18-2019 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
RE: Trump campaign to sue CNN over pro-impeachment bias, demands ‘substantial payment’
In what world would the bias against Trump not be considered a thing of value to the democrat party. Any sane person would see this as a campaign finance question.
10-18-2019 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Trump campaign to sue CNN over pro-impeachment bias, demands ‘substantial payment’
This is stupid...but that may not be the point.

May just be another shrewd (and cheap) way to get the media to cover his own messaging.
10-18-2019 02:19 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(10-18-2019 02:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is stupid...but that may not be the point.

May just be another shrewd (and cheap) way to get the media to cover his own messaging.

Or maybe he's just decided to escalate from a war of words to one with potential consequences CNN might understand.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 05:01 PM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
10-18-2019 05:01 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
#frivolouslawsuits
10-18-2019 05:21 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
CNN is allowed to be “biased” in its coverage.

Trump is allowed to remind people that CNN actually is “biased”.
10-18-2019 05:32 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-18-2019 05:01 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 02:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is stupid...but that may not be the point.

Or maybe he's just decided to escalate from a war of words to one with potential consequences CNN might understand.

In a court of law. CNN can’t hide what it doesn’t say, how it spins what it does say, and how it’s “facts” often misrepresent the actual situation (largely because they intentionally withhold significant information). It’s going to be incredibly easy to prove bias. You may not win a dime on the case—but who cares? Exposing CNN as the biased one sided propaganda outfit it has become completely undermines the narrative of them as any kind of ethical trustworthy source of unbiased information. CNN would be toast as a news network if it goes to trial.
10-18-2019 06:04 PM
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I went the the CNN frontpage the other day and it was like I was reading a DNC website. It was astounding how slanted they are.
10-18-2019 06:10 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-18-2019 05:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  CNN is allowed to be “biased” in its coverage.

Trump is allowed to remind people that CNN actually is “biased”.

They absolutely have the right to be biased. They do not have the right to be knowingly biased while claiming to be a networks that behaves ethically and presents an accurate and unbiased recounting of the days events. Thats called false advertising. The tapes of CNN indicated they are knowingly engaged in presented a biased pre-determined narrative and are telling viewers they are not. If Zucker wants to be a left wing shill---why not tell everyone thats what they are selling? Unless....he's ashamed of it.....or--more likely---he knows his propaganda is less effective when the viewer understands that the source is biased and is essentially selling a fake narrative constructed of facts that may be correct, but is incredibly misleading due to what the network is knowingly leaving out of the story.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 06:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-18-2019 06:12 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-18-2019 06:04 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 05:01 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

In a court of law. CNN can’t hide what it doesn’t say, how it spins what it does say, and how it’s “facts” often misrepresent the actual situation (largely because they intentionally withhold significant information). It’s going to be incredibly easy to prove bias. You may not win a dime on the case—but who cares? Exposing CNN as the biased one sided propaganda outfit it has become completely undermines the narrative of them as any kind of ethical trustworthy source of unbiased information. CNN would be toast as a news network if it goes to trial.

CNN can be as biased as they want... so can Fox, which was founded as a biased news network by a Republican operative.

Trump is a desperate man.
10-18-2019 06:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-18-2019 06:10 PM)dfarr Wrote:  I went the the CNN frontpage the other day and it was like I was reading a DNC website. It was astounding how slanted they are.

Some of the search engine main pages are just as bad. Yahoo News is terribly slanted to the left (lol...either that or their predictive algorithms are terrible at feeding me what I want to see).
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 06:23 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-18-2019 06:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.