Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Dana Kirk and Barney Fife
Bookmark and Share
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
Dana Kirk and Barney Fife
Barney says " nip it in the bud ". Dana once had a TIGER game forfeited by pulling the TIGERS off the floor after a non call .

The point being, where is the outrage from our university ? Where is Rudd---MN---heck even Cohen ?

When Dana did that----as I recall---the crooked officials were suspended for the season---as I recall---but I am getting old LOL.

If we always just bend over and take it---then it will never change. We were robbed----and not only did it cost us potentially tons of $$$,--but also down the road maybe even a invite to a power 5.

We had a CHANCE for a UNDEFEATED SEASON and new years bowl, but was cheated out of all that publicity .

We always say it is about the kids----well our kids was screwed and we didn't have their backs. After Dana did that---the refs and league knew that he would hold feet to the fire.

Dana--Spook--Bobby Knight---Woody Hayes--the BEAR---Spurrier---would have went nuts. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE !!!
10-15-2019 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Dana Kirk and Barney Fife
I, for one, hope MN has moved on and is working on how to keep us from turning the ball over 4 times.
10-15-2019 02:45 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2019 02:34 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  Barney says " nip it in the bud ". Dana once had a TIGER game forfeited by pulling the TIGERS off the floor after a non call .

The point being, where is the outrage from our university ? Where is Rudd---MN---heck even Cohen ?

When Dana did that----as I recall---the crooked officials were suspended for the season---as I recall---but I am getting old LOL.

If we always just bend over and take it---then it will never change. We were robbed----and not only did it cost us potentially tons of $$$,--but also down the road maybe even a invite to a power 5.

We had a CHANCE for a UNDEFEATED SEASON and new years bowl, but was cheated out of all that publicity .

We always say it is about the kids----well our kids was screwed and we didn't have their backs. After Dana did that---the refs and league knew that he would hold feet to the fire.

Dana--Spook--Bobby Knight---Woody Hayes--the BEAR---Spurrier---would have went nuts. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE !!!

First, I agree what we have seen was not enough to overturn the call. Nothing can repair what was decided after that play.

So what’s the best thing that can happen considering we haven’t seen the end zone view and the league says it was a judgement call?

Boo the officials when they show up Saturday? They made the right call so it wasn’t their fault.
Boo Brady? That would another example of bush league fans and gets us nothing.
Get an apology? Not going to happen.

After a while it just seems to come across as an extended whine.

Use it for motivation. Win the rest of them.
10-15-2019 02:47 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(10-15-2019 02:45 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  I, for one, hope MN has moved on and is working on how to keep us from turning the ball over 4 times.

Norvell has moved one but some fans haven't.
10-15-2019 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

We still very much have a shot at the NY6.

Win the next game.
10-15-2019 02:51 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(10-15-2019 02:49 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 02:45 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  I, for one, hope MN has moved on and is working on how to keep us from turning the ball over 4 times.

Norvell has moved one but some fans haven't.

Mike Aresco's secretary will throw that petition straight in the garbage along with all of the emails people are talking about sending.
10-15-2019 02:52 PM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2019 02:51 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  We still very much have a shot at the NY6.

Win the next game.

I personally dont believe we have any chance at all for a NY6 game, but we definitely still have a very good shot at winning the conf championship.
10-15-2019 03:09 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
I would have at least gotten kicked out after asking the ref if he also gave Bill Cosby his roofies.
10-15-2019 03:17 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2019 03:09 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 02:51 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  We still very much have a shot at the NY6.

Win the next game.

I personally dont believe we have any chance at all for a NY6 game, but we definitely still have a very good shot at winning the conf championship.

Then there very much is a chance.
10-15-2019 03:22 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2019 02:47 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 02:34 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  Barney says " nip it in the bud ". Dana once had a TIGER game forfeited by pulling the TIGERS off the floor after a non call .

First, I agree what we have seen was not enough to overturn the call. Nothing can repair what was decided after that play.

So what’s the best thing that can happen considering we haven’t seen the end zone view and the league says it was a judgement call?

Boo the officials when they show up Saturday? They made the right call so it wasn’t their fault.

As memory serves ----Dana got MEMPHIS STATE an apology and the crooked refs got suspended. If Cohen--Rudd--etc got involved---no telling the outcome .
10-15-2019 04:20 PM
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

dude
Different time and different sport.
Norvell can't say anything else about it publicly. I can promise you he was fired up about it and did all he could at the time. Now he has to move on for the sake of the team. He's not abandoning them. He's teaching a life lesson and preparing them for success the rest of the year.

Rudd might have the leverage to say something, but it's tricky.

Politicians have nothing to lose. They waste time on things much more ridiculous than this. With all of Cohen's antics, when is the last time he tried to leverage clout for something in the university's favor?

EDIT: And who is Barney Fife from your allegorical thread title? The Metro conference ref?
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 04:27 PM by Tiger87.)
10-15-2019 04:23 PM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I never bought into the notion that an undefeated season and NY6 bowl was a realistic possibility. I think a good next step for the program would be to win the CCG. That would be a major accomplishment.
10-15-2019 04:25 PM
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2019 03:09 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

Win the next game.

Why do you think we have no shot? I mean it's obvious mathematically that we have as decent a shot as most other contending G5's. So you have some personal reason for not believing that is not logic based. What is that?
10-15-2019 04:25 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2019 04:23 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

dude
Different time and different sport.
Norvell can't say anything else about it publicly. I can promise you he was fired up about it and did all he could at the time. Now he has to move on for the sake of the team. He's not abandoning them. He's teaching a life lesson and preparing them for success the rest of the year.

Rudd might have the leverage to say something, but it's tricky.

Politicians have nothing to lose. They waste time on things much more ridiculous than this. With all of Cohen's antics, when is the last time he tried to leverage clout for something in the university's favor?

EDIT: And who is Barney Fife from your allegorical thread title? The Metro conference ref?

In the op --I quoted Barney saying "nip it in the bud"----there has to be a time when we stop just taking the screwing's .

A different time and sport ? Do you really think there is ever a time that one don't take up for itself ? Do you really think the people @ ucf --would have just let this slide--if it happened to them---I don't think so. MEMPHIS has been screwed so many times---that it just acts as if that is their roll in history.
10-15-2019 04:39 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

You have to pick your battles. This one may not be worth fighting.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 05:26 PM by DallasTiger.)
10-15-2019 05:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-15-2019 02:47 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

Dana-- probation and jail

Spook-- don't know but SEC refs hosed us every game

Bobby Knight--seriously? Throw a chair on the field?

Woody Hayes-punched a Clemson player

the BEAR-- don't remember him whining about refs ever

Spurrier - quit mid season on his last team.

Dude. Admire your righteous indignation but...life ain't fair.

Next game

https://youtu.be/wEVJyf0ft3I
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 05:47 PM by shere khan.)
10-15-2019 05:39 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2019 05:26 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  You have to pick your battles. This one may not be worth fighting.
kw
I don't know DallasTiger--you may be right. However what does it take ?

Against Kansas---the TV announcers had the refs go back and look at a 3----long after the fact that cost us a point.-----then when Kansas stole the ball on the baseline----the guy was CLEARLY out of bounds.

The Temple game ---a stadium announcer SUPPOSEDLY called the field and told refs to look at a different replay ?

What is the PROTOCOL ? A stadium announcer a TV commentator ---most other schools---I think anyway ---would not have taken it so mildly . If we don't respect ourselves ---why should anyone else ?

The Rose ruling ---the BIG 12 --basically laughing at us----I mean what does it take for our TIMID leaders?
10-15-2019 05:55 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

Good discussion on the bad call on Magnifico's catch (yes, catch).
https://dailymemphian.com/section/podcas...weekend-in

As for MN, he's said it was a catch. What more can he do? Has a football game ever been overturned? Were the NO Saints in last year's Super Bowl? Now, THAT was a bad call. The AAC, as noted on the podcast, has a problem with bad officiating.
10-15-2019 06:27 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

WHO DAT GONN' B*TCH 'BOUT THEM REFS!
10-15-2019 06:28 PM
ShilohTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Watch Norvell's press conference. He said he was mad on Sunday, then he moved on.
His answer was that there were 15 plays that could have changed the outcome of that game and he's correct.
We win one or two more plays and we win. That's what he teaches every week.

It's a mentality.

A great coach lines up his first team O on the 5 yard line against the 1st team Defense and after the O scores, he calls a ghost penalty and puts them on the 15 and makes them try again. He tells the D to hold like hell on every play and forces the O to overcome it and still score.
Life is unfair. Games are unfair. A good team knows that they have to battle against 11 other players, 6 refs and 20,000 fans. And vice versa for the D. Sometimes losing a game like that is the best thing that can happen.

The Saints got screwed. The Lions got screwed last night. But all pro coaches will tell you, we should have never put ourselves in a position to let the refs decide the game. It's a mentality that you have to drill into your team as much as executing on the X's & O's.

Hey, but who doesn't love a good petition?
Scream about it until you are hoarse. Call your senator. Show your A**. Get it out of your system until you feel better.
But be ready to cheer for our Tigers against Tulane, and the week after that.

Who doesn't love Dana Kirk and Barney Fife? (I loved em both, but in the end, they were patsies - Listen to your wise old friend Andy who's a little calmer and mature)
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 06:42 PM by ShilohTiger.)
10-15-2019 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.