Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
Monday Musings
Author Message
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Bench Warmer
*

Posts: 189
Joined: Jan 2018
Reputation: 3
I Root For: EMU
Location: Powells Pub
Post: #1
Monday Musings
Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.
10-14-2019 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

emu steve Offline
Legend
*

Posts: 30,852
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation: 68
I Root For: EMU / MAC
Location:
Post: #2
RE: Monday Musings
(10-14-2019 07:24 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.

Lot of good thoughts. Thanks.

I believe there will be more commercial interest in an Alabama QB than an EMU DT. 03-idea (This is the understatement of 2019).

What is good about the athletic scholarships, Cost of Attendance monies, etc. is that it treats the star QB and 2nd string DT the same. That is good.

It doesn't turn college sports into de facto pro ball where some players get more than other players.
10-14-2019 07:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Bench Warmer
*

Posts: 189
Joined: Jan 2018
Reputation: 3
I Root For: EMU
Location: Powells Pub
Post: #3
RE: Monday Musings
College Sports do not have a leg to stand on when baseball gives out 11.7 scholarships and teams have 30 guys. Makes it hard for kids from lower SES to play the sport. A video game would be nice. Who cares if it allows the players to buy an extra chic-fil-a on campus or two. Finally, for those worried about boosters... um well... LOL
10-14-2019 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dansplaining Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 491
Joined: Sep 2017
Reputation: 7
I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Location:
Post: #4
RE: Monday Musings
(10-14-2019 07:56 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:24 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.

Lot of good thoughts. Thanks.

I believe there will be more commercial interest in an Alabama QB than an EMU DT. 03-idea (This is the understatement of 2019).

What is good about the athletic scholarships, Cost of Attendance monies, etc. is that it treats the star QB and 2nd string DT the same. That is good.

It doesn't turn college sports into de facto pro ball where some players get more than other players.

players should be able to profit from their likeness rights. you can disagree with me - but you'd be wrong.
10-14-2019 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Jerry Weaver Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 824
Joined: Oct 2017
Reputation: 5
I Root For: EMU
Location: Ann Arbor
Post: #5
RE: Monday Musings
(10-14-2019 09:47 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:56 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:24 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.

Lot of good thoughts. Thanks.

I believe there will be more commercial interest in an Alabama QB than an EMU DT. 03-idea (This is the understatement of 2019).

What is good about the athletic scholarships, Cost of Attendance monies, etc. is that it treats the star QB and 2nd string DT the same. That is good.

It doesn't turn college sports into de facto pro ball where some players get more than other players.

players should be able to profit from their likeness rights. you can disagree with me - but you'd be wrong.

Dan, I won't necessarily disagree with you, just let the NFL and NBA establish minor leagues like MLB and the players can do so.

This could create a competitive imbalance in the NCAA that might destroy both sports. Tillman Fertitta, the wealthy Houston alum has rebuilt the basketball arena and poached an SEC football coach with his vast wealth. Now with this proposed law change, he could promise 5 star recruits a healthy salary to endorse his Landry's restaurant chain. It would be openly and legally offering pay envelopes. The money that is now donated for improved facilities and other permanent things would instead be diverted to player pockets and the school with the wealthiest boosters will create a dynasty.

If a high school athlete wants to make money playing sports immediately upon graduation let him go to a professional sports minor league. I am no fan of the NCAA, but they have served for free as the de facto minor league of the NBA and NFL for years. It's high time for those professional leagues to step up.

College sports don't need to allow players to earn anything beyond today's outrageous tuition. Many people might be distressed that the "college athletic product" might be diminished with the minor league option, but that has already happened. A Michael Jordan does not spend four years at North Carolina anymore and fans still go crazy for March Madness. Let's keep the college game as amateur as possible.
10-14-2019 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Bench Warmer
*

Posts: 189
Joined: Jan 2018
Reputation: 3
I Root For: EMU
Location: Powells Pub
Post: #6
RE: Monday Musings
(10-14-2019 07:19 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 09:47 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:56 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:24 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.

Lot of good thoughts. Thanks.

I believe there will be more commercial interest in an Alabama QB than an EMU DT. 03-idea (This is the understatement of 2019).

What is good about the athletic scholarships, Cost of Attendance monies, etc. is that it treats the star QB and 2nd string DT the same. That is good.

It doesn't turn college sports into de facto pro ball where some players get more than other players.

players should be able to profit from their likeness rights. you can disagree with me - but you'd be wrong.

Dan, I won't necessarily disagree with you, just let the NFL and NBA establish minor leagues like MLB and the players can do so.

This could create a competitive imbalance in the NCAA that might destroy both sports. Tillman Fertitta, the wealthy Houston alum has rebuilt the basketball arena and poached an SEC football coach with his vast wealth. Now with this proposed law change, he could promise 5 star recruits a healthy salary to endorse his Landry's restaurant chain. It would be openly and legally offering pay envelopes. The money that is now donated for improved facilities and other permanent things would instead be diverted to player pockets and the school with the wealthiest boosters will create a dynasty.

If a high school athlete wants to make money playing sports immediately upon graduation let him go to a professional sports minor league. I am no fan of the NCAA, but they have served for free as the de facto minor league of the NBA and NFL for years. It's high time for those professional leagues to step up.

College sports don't need to allow players to earn anything beyond today's outrageous tuition. Many people might be distressed that the "college athletic product" might be diminished with the minor league option, but that has already happened. A Michael Jordan does not spend four years at North Carolina anymore and fans still go crazy for March Madness. Let's keep the college game as amateur as possible.

There is already a huge imbalance in college sports. Why keep the game as amateur as possible? Schools, kids, coaches, and boosters already break the "rules" all time time. Why can't a kid profit off their likeness? Other College students profit off their brains or bodies all the time and do not lose a scholarship or opportunity.
10-15-2019 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dansplaining Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 491
Joined: Sep 2017
Reputation: 7
I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Location:
Post: #7
RE: Monday Musings
(10-15-2019 11:57 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:19 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 09:47 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:56 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 07:24 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Well another Homecoming has come and gone for the Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles and another loss and sad faces in the arbor brewing tent. The team has not won a homecoming game since 2014 in 5 years. :( This hurts attendance in the long run.
Let hope our night game this week, any other game going on a night? Oh a rock fight between Penn State in Michigan to see who can get to 20 points is on ABC to dilute our attendance more.
MAC West is still muddled and we can still get back in the hunt but we need to get right in a hurry. Also running out of time for bowl eligibility and the coveted 15 extra practices.
Does Jim MCelwain in 2020 coach down US-27 in East Lansing next year?
I think the athlete likeness images case will be interesting to watch.. Like most its probably going to be good for the top 1% and the other 99% not so much, however us at Powells have been paying athletes for years.... To bounce on the weekends and St Patricks Day.
A win will go a long way to cure some ailments.

Lot of good thoughts. Thanks.

I believe there will be more commercial interest in an Alabama QB than an EMU DT. 03-idea (This is the understatement of 2019).

What is good about the athletic scholarships, Cost of Attendance monies, etc. is that it treats the star QB and 2nd string DT the same. That is good.

It doesn't turn college sports into de facto pro ball where some players get more than other players.

players should be able to profit from their likeness rights. you can disagree with me - but you'd be wrong.

Dan, I won't necessarily disagree with you, just let the NFL and NBA establish minor leagues like MLB and the players can do so.

This could create a competitive imbalance in the NCAA that might destroy both sports. Tillman Fertitta, the wealthy Houston alum has rebuilt the basketball arena and poached an SEC football coach with his vast wealth. Now with this proposed law change, he could promise 5 star recruits a healthy salary to endorse his Landry's restaurant chain. It would be openly and legally offering pay envelopes. The money that is now donated for improved facilities and other permanent things would instead be diverted to player pockets and the school with the wealthiest boosters will create a dynasty.

If a high school athlete wants to make money playing sports immediately upon graduation let him go to a professional sports minor league. I am no fan of the NCAA, but they have served for free as the de facto minor league of the NBA and NFL for years. It's high time for those professional leagues to step up.

College sports don't need to allow players to earn anything beyond today's outrageous tuition. Many people might be distressed that the "college athletic product" might be diminished with the minor league option, but that has already happened. A Michael Jordan does not spend four years at North Carolina anymore and fans still go crazy for March Madness. Let's keep the college game as amateur as possible.

There is already a huge imbalance in college sports. Why keep the game as amateur as possible? Schools, kids, coaches, and boosters already break the "rules" all time time. Why can't a kid profit off their likeness? Other College students profit off their brains or bodies all the time and do not lose a scholarship or opportunity.

The argument in regards to the NFL is that if players want to make money they should play for a league that currently does not exist and has no plans to exist is a pretty bad argument
10-15-2019 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2019 MyBB Group.