Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Air Force looking to get out of MWC?
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-coa...fb6ce.html

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun wonders if Mountain West is "really a match" for Falcons
BRENT BRIGGEMAN brent.briggeman@gazette.com Oct 12, 2019 Updated 21 min ago

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun revisited a familiar theme after a victory over Fresno State on Saturday, questioning if the Falcons belong in the Mountain West.

Calhoun had made several references to the topic prior to the season, particularly at a media gathering in Denver that included coaches from Colorado and Colorado State in which he suggested the Falcons might be better off in a different conference or no conference at all.

On Saturday, after a 43-24 victory over Fresno State, he first made note of the difficulty of the game and the upcoming schedule, which in the next two weeks will take the Falcons to Hawaii and then back home for a matchup with Utah State.

“Goodness gracious,” Calhoun said. “The kind of challenges we have going forward, every game is going to be hard. That’s just the reality of where we are.”

Later in the post-game press conference, he took the topic back to the conference.

“We are in a league where, to be blunt, I don’t know if it’s the route maybe should go,” he said. “Yet for our guys, the way they played tonight and the preparation and just the focus all week long was pretty strong, which is a really strong indicator of the quality of the leadership that we have.”
10-13-2019 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
I take it he is saying the MWC is too tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-13-2019 10:29 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: OT: Air Force looking to get out of MWC?
(10-13-2019 10:29 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  I take it he is saying the MWC is too tough.

Sure.
10-13-2019 10:31 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(10-13-2019 10:29 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  I take it he is saying the MWC is too tough.

Not even close to what he says lol. They wouldn't consider the AAC if that was the case. The #4 ranked league.
10-13-2019 10:39 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-13-2019 10:11 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-coa...fb6ce.html

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun wonders if Mountain West is "really a match" for Falcons

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun revisited a familiar theme after a victory over Fresno State on Saturday, questioning if the Falcons belong in the Mountain West.

Calhoun had made several references to the topic prior to the season, particularly at a media gathering in Denver that included coaches from Colorado and Colorado State in which he suggested the Falcons might be better off in a different conference or no conference at all.

On Saturday, after a 43-24 victory over Fresno State, he first made note of the difficulty of the game and the upcoming schedule, which in the next two weeks will take the Falcons to Hawaii and then back home for a matchup with Utah State.

“Goodness gracious,” Calhoun said. “The kind of challenges we have going forward, every game is going to be hard. That’s just the reality of where we are.”

Later in the post-game press conference, he took the topic back to the conference.

“We are in a league where, to be blunt, I don’t know if it’s the route maybe should go,” he said. “Yet for our guys, the way they played tonight and the preparation and just the focus all week long was pretty strong, which is a really strong indicator of the quality of the leadership that we have.”

I take it as he's having a bad week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
10-13-2019 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

(10-13-2019 10:39 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Not even close to what he says lol. They wouldn't consider the AAC if that was the case. The #4 ranked league.
Well they really aren't considering anyone really. He is frustrated at a tough period of road games. As usual media has blown it up into a non-existent story.

10-13-2019 10:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
If he wants to make his own sch, gotta go independent
10-13-2019 10:48 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(10-13-2019 10:45 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-13-2019 10:11 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-coa...fb6ce.html

Well then he's having a bad year... He's been saying this since June of this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019 10:49 PM by GoOwls111.)
10-13-2019 10:49 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

I'm sure competing in hoops against UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State, SDSU, New Mexico, etc is tough for a bunch of cadets.

going AAC football only while joining the Summit League for other sports gives them a 'best of both worlds' like Navy enjoys with the AAC/Patriot League.

AF can compete and win games in the Summit League against regional teams such as Denver, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, etc.

The Summit League also features a regional Fox deal along with ESPN3/ESPN+ so their 'other sports' would still get limited exposure.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2019 01:02 AM by UofMemphis.)
10-13-2019 10:55 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(10-13-2019 10:49 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  
(10-13-2019 10:45 PM)panama Wrote:  

Well then he's having a bad year... He's been saying this since June of this year.
But Presidents and Chancellors decide. Not ADs and certainly not HCs. The thing is, everyone knows there is no solution to the problem he is trying to address unless he means that the MWC should drop Hawaii.

10-13-2019 10:58 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-13-2019 10:48 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  If he wants to make his own sch, gotta go independent

Would be a fantastic choice!
10-14-2019 07:11 AM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
I think hes trying to get the conversation started and I also wonder if hes floating a test balloon.... Everything Ive heard has said that Air Force is the most logical piece to be moved.

Hes hamstrung there. All their games are on late night, when nobody sees them. He doesnt have much money to do anything to improve his situation.... a move to the AAC would fix all of that. Every game would be during a primtime slot and they would get move than a $5 million raise.

Years ago their leadership said they wouldnt leave the MWC, but that commandant or whatever his title was has moved on. If we get Air Force, then we are back to a solid 12 and it builds a bridge for any future additions.
10-14-2019 07:23 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

That is how I read it. Along with the monster trip to Haw.
10-14-2019 07:33 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Air Force
Houston
Navy
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
UCF

12 football, 11 basketball... works for me!
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2019 09:17 AM by Chappy.)
10-14-2019 07:35 AM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
WAC it is!

(Y’all wanna see something messed up, go look at the WACs current membership- it really is depressing)
10-14-2019 07:35 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(10-14-2019 07:33 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

That is how I read it. Along with the monster trip to Haw.

Definitely what it sounds like, but why complain about how hard it is after a 20-pt win?
10-14-2019 07:37 AM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(10-14-2019 07:35 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Air Force
Houston
Navy
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
UCF

12 football, 10 basketball... works for me!

Houston gets 3 academically restricted private schools and 2 academies. If they ever could get out of their own way, they could become a monster in that kind of environment.
10-14-2019 07:45 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
That flight to Hawaii really does **** up a whole lot of seasons...could you imagine if Facebook and ESPN+ want to push mid-week games for MWC's next TV deal?
10-14-2019 07:52 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-14-2019 07:45 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
Houston
Navy
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
UCF

Houston gets 3 academically restricted private schools and 2 academies. If they ever could get out of their own way, they could become a monster in that kind of environment.
I think Tulane goes east and Memphis stays west. Historically the east would be a bear. It would be the G5 SEC.

That is not the first smoke from AF. I am wondering if they are dropping hints.
Lets get 2 year exemption to ease AF into the fold.
10-14-2019 07:56 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
Houston
Navy
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
UCF

Besides the fact that you are missing 1 Basketball school there ...
10-14-2019 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.