Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Gabbard on possible debate boycott: 'There is a very serious threat to our Democracy'
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Gabbard on possible debate boycott: 'There is a very serious threat to our Democracy'
Quote:Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) on Friday doubled down on her threats to boycott next week’s Democratic presidential debate, stating that the Democratic National Committee’s criteria for making the stage poses a “very serious threat to our democracy.”

The Democratic presidential hopeful ripped the DNC’s “pseudo-polls” and “arbitrary requirements,” accusing the committee of “trying hold their own primary election before the primary election even begins.”

Gabbard, who is well behind the contest's frontrunners in the polls, said she's thinking about skipping Tuesday's debate because she thinks the rules have taken power away from voters.

“The DNC and their corporate media partners are essentially trying to hijack this election process away from the responsibility that voters have,” she said.

The DNC didn't immediately respond to Hill.TV's request for comment.

Gabbard first announced that she might skip the Ohio debate on Thursday. She said she would make a decision in the coming days.

The DNC has defended its handling of the debates, saying it announced the qualification for the September and October debates in May, giving candidates plenty of time to qualify. A DNC official also argued in response to Gabbard’s previous criticism of the debates that it would be “disservice” to the party as a whole not to give front-runners enough time on the debate stage.

Gabbard missed the September debate but did meet the criteria for Tuesday's contest. Candidates had to get contributions from 130,000 unique donors and register at least 2 percent in four approval polls to qualify for Tuesday's debate. Twelve Democrats made the criteria, including Gabbard.

The debate in November raises the thresholds to 165,000 unique donors and 3 percent in four approved polls. Only eight candidates have qualified under those thresholds.

In her interview with Hill.TV, Gabbard said she is still weighing the decision on whether to boycott Tuesday's debate “very carefully,” noting that she has not heard directly from the DNC about her possible boycott.

“I’m listening to a lot of the feedback that we’re getting from supporters and just thinking through all of the ramifications of this decision,” she said. “What it really comes down to is how best to make an impact to bring about this change.”

The Hawaii Democrat has long been critical of the DNC’s debate criteria, questioning the committee over its transparency and fairness.

Link
10-12-2019 12:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
RE: Gabbard on possible debate boycott: 'There is a very serious threat to our Democracy'
She'll be playing into the DNCs hands. That's what they want. What bothers me is that idiot Robert O might still be in the debate. I think all those speeches about gun control and religious tax matters brought in some supporters. People on that side of the aisle are stupid and evil.
10-12-2019 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: Gabbard on possible debate boycott: 'There is a very serious threat to our Democracy'
Tulsi has proven to be cringe, just like the rest of them.

Trump did exactly what she claims to want in Syria, even used her buzzwords about “endless, regime change wars”, and she disappeared for 24 hours until her staff could come up with a reason why he was wrong so she could complain about it.

“Get out of Syria — No, not that way!”

I thought she had principles, she doesn’t. She can’t even stand up to the DNC in a meaningful way, lolol at the thought of her standing up to the military industrial complex. Go ahead, boycott. No one cares.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2019 02:17 PM by Kronke.)
10-12-2019 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.