Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston Coog player accuses Holgerson & team of tanking...
Bookmark and Share
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Exclamation Houston Coog player accuses Holgerson & team of tanking...
10-11-2019 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Houston Coog player accuses Holgerson & team of tanking...
Yipes
10-11-2019 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Takes cougin' it to a whole new level. Can't even imagine the reaction if they don't go to the NY6 next year.
10-11-2019 08:40 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
1. That sucks in more ways than one. But that's business, or what they don't want to call college football and basketball. "You got a full ride, no debt, blown out knees and a life time of surgery.....Go Team!"

2. It amazes me the number of people who don't understand what the concept of making money off your likeness is verses "getting paid by the school". 03-pissed
10-11-2019 09:20 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says, Houston, we have a problem
10-11-2019 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
I don't believe a word of it.
10-11-2019 05:59 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(10-11-2019 09:20 AM)rook360 Wrote:  1. That sucks in more ways than one. But that's business, or what they don't want to call college football and basketball. "You got a full ride, no debt, blown out knees and a life time of surgery.....Go Team!"

2. It amazes me the number of people who don't understand what the concept of making money off your likeness is verses "getting paid by the school". 03-pissed
Unfortunately, even if it was allowed right now, this player most likely would not have benefitted from it. What could help all players is the schools or ncaa providing insurance policies to provide a decent payoff when injuries end their fb career.
10-11-2019 08:12 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
This players' parents both were decorated athletes at Rice. His mom was a 6-time NCAA shot put champion and the Olympic alternate for the U.S. in both 1984 and 1988. She then went to medical school and became a doctor. I trust every one of his tweets to be accurate. He's had a lot of injuries and football isn't going to work out for him, but in the 3 or 4 games he played this year, he was starting for UH and they loved him. And then he got hurt.

I would bet a decent amount of money D'Eriq King won't be playing for UH next year.
10-12-2019 06:45 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
Joseph Duarte picked this up and reported it in the Houston Chronicle today. The story ends with a reported statement from a UH athletic department spokesperson that UH would have no comment.
10-12-2019 07:52 AM
Advertisement

DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Negative drama just seems to constantly swirl around the Houston Coogs program like buzzards over road kill. This is their 'normal'.
10-12-2019 08:24 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-11-2019 09:20 AM)rook360 Wrote:  2. It amazes me the number of people who don't understand what the concept of making money off your likeness is verses "getting paid by the school". 03-pissed

That "likeness' thingie would not benefit more than a few star players - the QB, maybe a couple of RBs or receivers, maybe an All-American like Ed Oliver - but how much do you think the right tackle or his back up are going to make?
10-12-2019 09:35 AM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
They certainly tanked all over UNT.
10-12-2019 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Is Dana's son the starting Houston QB?
10-12-2019 03:54 PM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(10-12-2019 03:54 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Is Dana's son the starting Houston QB?

Apparently so.
10-13-2019 12:34 PM
Grandgreen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
A depleted UH also gave ranked Cincinnati all they could handle.
10-13-2019 01:21 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(10-11-2019 09:20 AM)rook360 Wrote:  1. That sucks in more ways than one. But that's business, or what they don't want to call college football and basketball. "You got a full ride, no debt, blown out knees and a life time of surgery.....Go Team!"

It's amazing to me how some people don't understand how letting college athletes "make money off of their likeness" can negatively impact amateur sports and cause a competitive imbalance among schools competing in college football and college basketball.

It's simple. If you want to make money off "your likeness", just don't pretend to be an amateur athlete. Just go pro. Is that really so hard to understand?
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019 07:46 PM by HogDawg.)
10-13-2019 07:42 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(10-12-2019 09:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 09:20 AM)rook360 Wrote:  2. It amazes me the number of people who don't understand what the concept of making money off your likeness is verses "getting paid by the school". 03-pissed

That "likeness' thingie would not benefit more than a few star players - the QB, maybe a couple of RBs or receivers, maybe an All-American like Ed Oliver - but how much do you think the right tackle or his back up are going to make?

That's because you are thinking of the situation as a person with a moral compass. The correct way to look at it is to go immediately to the worst case scenario. You think things like "who's going to pay some right tackle for his autograph or hire him to do a local commercial"? In an ethical world that is the correct view.

Here's how it will end up - coaches, with the support of well heeled boosters, will be striking endorsement deals at the kitchen table of these kids and their parent/guardian/agent. Oregon can go to the #1 rated player at each position and offer them a meeting with Nike to work out an endorsement deal in their new college program. Yep, a RT won't get QB money for the deal, but it will be the best RT money out there.

Ohio State got busted for this stuff already. Remember their stars (Pryor and that group) selling their stuff to local boosters. How do you think that plays out when it's legal to sell that stuff. Welcome to the world of $250,000 autograph sessions for top tier players and even $25,000 sessions for that 5 star tackle. The prices will vary, just like they do by position in the NFL, but a pay structure will evolve.

If the top twenty schools all want the #1 rated QB one year, what kind of pre commitment deal do you think it will take to land him? What about that stud CB, or that stud DT or OT or RB?

What this has the likelihood of doing is making the strong stronger. Less well healed P5 teams without a host of mega donors will be quickly beat out for talent by G5 schools with a committed deep pocket group (think Memphis as an example where they have a super zealous, super rich benefactor). Heck, Rice has a lot of very wealthy alumni. If they decide they want to ride this train they can buy a top notch team, not national power, but consistent top 25. Imagine the team Harvard could buy with all their Wall Street billionaires and 9 figure millionaires.

Any school with a really wealthy, determined, booster network can make significant improvements to their roster.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019 09:32 PM by banker.)
10-13-2019 09:30 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-13-2019 09:30 PM)banker Wrote:  
(10-12-2019 09:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

That's because you are thinking of the situation as a person with a moral compass. The correct way to look at it is to go immediately to the worst case scenario. You think things like "who's going to pay some right tackle for his autograph or hire him to do a local commercial"? In an ethical world that is the correct view.

Here's how it will end up - coaches, with the support of well heeled boosters, will be striking endorsement deals at the kitchen table of these kids and their parent/guardian/agent. Oregon can go to the #1 rated player at each position and offer them a meeting with Nike to work out an endorsement deal in their new college program. Yep, a RT won't get QB money for the deal, but it will be the best RT money out there.

Ohio State got busted for this stuff already. Remember their stars (Pryor and that group) selling their stuff to local boosters. How do you think that plays out when it's legal to sell that stuff. Welcome to the world of $250,000 autograph sessions for top tier players and even $25,000 sessions for that 5 star tackle. The prices will vary, just like they do by position in the NFL, but a pay structure will evolve.

If the top twenty schools all want the #1 rated QB one year, what kind of pre commitment deal do you think it will take to land him? What about that stud CB, or that stud DT or OT or RB?

What this has the likelihood of doing is making the strong stronger. Less well healed P5 teams without a host of mega donors will be quickly beat out for talent by G5 schools with a committed deep pocket group (think Memphis as an example where they have a super zealous, super rich benefactor). Heck, Rice has a lot of very wealthy alumni. If they decide they want to ride this train they can buy a top notch team, not national power, but consistent top 25. Imagine the team Harvard could buy with all their Wall Street billionaires and 9 figure millionaires.

Any school with a really wealthy, determined, booster network can make significant improvements to their roster.

Either way, it’s bad.
10-13-2019 10:47 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(10-12-2019 03:54 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Is Dana's son the starting Houston QB?

No with King out, they're starting a sophomore. Dana's kid was 0-2 with an interception against Cincy but Tune was and is the main guy for them. Now if he gets hurt, then yes the Hogerson kid will likely be the starter.
10-14-2019 06:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.