RE: 2019 Big East Media Day
10-10-2019 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Kevin Willard went to the top of my favorite Big East coaches list.

AAC fanboys didn't wanna believe it, but every Big East coach & northeastern ACC/Big Ten coach has been doing this since the split. Recruits have said this on multiple occasions. Nice to see a coach finally confirm it.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019 03:23 PM by HuskyU.)
10-10-2019 03:19 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
AAC fanboys are to partisanship what Bill Dazzle is to embracing a robust use of the written word.

From Ray Wylie Hubbard's House of the White Rose Bouquet...

There was a time I was wild, young, and handsome
I was smokin' cigarettes at age thirteen
At seventeen I was drinking in the taverns
With Irish poets, racketeers, and libertines
At twenty-one I was a full-time gambler
A card-squeezer who blistered the beat
I carried a .32-20 in my pocket
And I heeded not The Gambler's Fallacy
10-10-2019 08:13 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(10-10-2019 03:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Kevin Willard went to the top of my favorite Big East coaches list.

AAC fanboys didn't wanna believe it, but every Big East coach & northeastern ACC/Big Ten coach has been doing this since the split. Recruits have said this on multiple occasions. Nice to see a coach finally confirm it.

I don't get it.

For years, I've been reading that football drives the bus, that this incarnation of the Big East is nothing more than a Little Sisters of the Poor Conference, that the Big East couldn't recruit high level recruits without football associations, that the Big East couldn't recruit or gain viewership not being on ESPN, that the Big East enrollment and alumni numbers were too small, and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - that the potential of AAC membership, with its newfound ESPN exposure and increased resources, would be a better basketball league long term over BE programs that have been committed to basketball for decades. I was guaranteed that this new Big East would ever win, let alone compete, for national championships.

I think you and Willard might be mistaken. No way associations with those programs could harm a proven, successful basketball program.
10-10-2019 08:52 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(10-10-2019 08:52 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(10-10-2019 03:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Kevin Willard went to the top of my favorite Big East coaches list.

I don't get it.

For years, I've been reading that football drives the bus, that this incarnation of the Big East is nothing more than a Little Sisters of the Poor Conference, that the Big East couldn't recruit high level recruits without football associations, that the Big East couldn't recruit or gain viewership not being on ESPN, that the Big East enrollment and alumni numbers were too small, and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - that the potential of AAC membership, with its newfound ESPN exposure and increased resources, would be a better basketball league long term over BE programs that have been committed to basketball for decades. I was guaranteed that this new Big East would ever win, let alone compete, for national championships.

I think you and Willard might be mistaken. No way associations with those programs could harm a proven, successful basketball program.

UConn's league association with non-high major programs UCF, USF, Tulane and ECU has hurt the Huskies. I agree. And though I consider Tulsa and SMU high major (they are all-time Top 100 programs by most metrics), they don't "meld" with the "UConn theme." Conversely, Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and Wichita are strong, respected high-major programs that UConn could have better capitalized upon in terms of its associations with those five.

You can slam the AAC fanboys for their cluelessness and/or hypocrisy (I'm right there with you), but some of UConn's slide in hoops has been its own fault and not merely its membership in the American (and I'm not suggesting you feel that is the only reason UConn hoops has suffered).

But, and as I've previously noted, I feel UConn faces brighter days. Will it be as dominant as it was in its Big East heyday? Hard to say. I kind of doubt it. UConn coaches will not be coaching/recruiting against Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and Cincy. That will present a challenge. Still, UConn should be MUCH better in the BE than it was in the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2019 08:58 AM by bill dazzle.)
10-11-2019 08:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-11-2019 08:25 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I don't get it.

UConn's league association with non-high major programs UCF, USF, Tulane and ECU has hurt the Huskies. I agree. And though I consider Tulsa and SMU high major (they are all-time Top 100 programs by most metrics), they don't "meld" with the "UConn theme." Conversely, Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and Wichita are strong, respected high-major programs that UConn could have better capitalized upon in terms of its associations with those five.

You can slam the AAC fanboys for their cluelessness (I'm right there with you), but some of UConn's slide in hoops has been its own fault and not merely its membership in the American (and I'm not suggesting you feel that is the only reason UConn hoops has suffered).

But, and as I've previously noted, I feel UConn faces brighter days. Will it be as dominant as it was in its Big East heyday? Hard to say. I kind of doubt it. UConn coaches will not be coaching/recruiting against Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and Cincy. That will present a challenge. Still, UConn should be MUCH better in the BE than it was in the AAC.

UConn's problems IMO were far more Ollie than they were the AAC. Extremely similar to what happened at Georgetown with JT3.
10-11-2019 08:44 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

(10-11-2019 08:44 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

I don't get it.

You can slam the AAC fanboys for their cluelessness (I'm right there with you), but some of UConn's slide in hoops has been its own fault and not merely its membership in the American (and I'm not suggesting you feel that is the only reason UConn hoops has suffered).

UConn's problems IMO were far more Ollie than they were the AAC. Extremely similar to what happened at Georgetown with JT3.

Agree to an extent, S20.

And good luck to the Nationals.
10-11-2019 09:00 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-11-2019 09:00 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I don't get it.

Agree to an extent, S20.

Thanks..... 10 hours until game 1....
10-11-2019 09:02 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(10-11-2019 08:44 AM)stever20 Wrote:  UConn's problems IMO were far more Ollie than they were the AAC. Extremely similar to what happened at Georgetown with JT3.

Yea, this is accurate on the court at least. Regardless of the impact the AAC may have had on UConn, they were still outrecruiting the rest of the conference pretty handily. Not doing better in-conference is nobody's fault but Uconn's (at the same time, let's also keep in mind they're tied with Cincy for most AAC championship game appearances). I do think fan engagement would have been better in the Big East.
10-11-2019 10:00 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(10-11-2019 10:00 AM)Bogg Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 08:44 AM)stever20 Wrote:  UConn's problems IMO were far more Ollie than they were the AAC. Extremely similar to what happened at Georgetown with JT3.

Yea, this is accurate on the court at least. Regardless of the impact the AAC may have had on UConn, they were still outrecruiting the rest of the conference pretty handily. Not doing better in-conference is nobody's fault but Uconn's (at the same time, let's also keep in mind they're tied with Cincy for most AAC championship game appearances). I do think fan engagement would have been better in the Big East.

I'm genuinely happy for your program and your university. This will be so much better for UConn. We will miss you in the AAC (at least those of us who are reasonable and fair-minded). I want UConn to still play Cincy and Memphis in what would be strong non-league games.

As a long-time DePaul follower, I trust the Huskies go easy on the Demons. But the DU women might be able to hang with Geno's ladies.
10-11-2019 10:27 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(10-11-2019 09:02 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-10-2019 08:52 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I don't get it.

Agree to an extent, S20.

As a Cubs fans since the late 1960s, I will be rooting for the Cards (makes the division look good anytime St. Louis wins). But the Nats are tough. Enjoy the series.
10-11-2019 10:29 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-11-2019 10:29 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 09:02 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 08:25 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  UConn's league association with non-high major programs UCF, USF, Tulane and ECU has hurt the Huskies. I agree. And though I consider Tulsa and SMU high major (they are all-time Top 100 programs by most metrics), they don't "meld" with the "UConn theme." Conversely, Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and Wichita are strong, respected high-major programs that UConn could have better capitalized upon in terms of its associations with those five.

Agree to an extent, S20.

As a Cubs fans since the late 1960s, I will be rooting for the Cards (makes the division look good anytime St. Louis wins). But the Nats are tough. Enjoy the series.

Cubs fan rooting for the Cardinals? That's a new one.....

You should come over to the pro sports section of this(under lounge). We have a hearty MLB thread(it's over 110 pages now).
10-11-2019 10:32 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Emphasizing another previously-made point by me, it can not be overstated enough the value in brand associations for schools and athletic programs - especially for when programs are down and/or rebuilding. If Indiana Basketball or Michigan Football is not at historical levels, like each has been at various points in past decade, they still gain value by being associated with the Big Ten and its membership. The same goes for Florida Football, Kentucky Basketball, etc. At some point, every program goes through a rebuild - but it can survive and tread water through those by conference association (which can still maintain fan interest and loyalty). Here is where UConn's association in the AAC was never sustainable, and why the AAC membership was unable to provide those valuable associations even when football and men's basketball was down. No one in the Northeast has a connection, familiarity or fan interest in programs like Houston, SMU, ECU, Tulane, UCF, Memphis, Wichita State or Tulsa. As the data shows, especially in football, UConn couldn't draw fans to ranked opponents in the AAC (yet could when it was in the Big East). This is also why it is clear that any continuation of the hybrid Big East was doomed to fail - because there were no available programs to call-up to replace the lost value in members that left for the ACC, Big Ten and Big 12. It's not a knock to the AAC to highlight that; it's simply meant to show that a partnership between these two parties was never going to succeed or become sustainable.

Even if/when UConn needs to undergo a rebuild, they will now be joined by like-minded and regional members (basketball-first within geographic proximity and historical affiliations). That will always help the fan support and attendance (which they never had, nor will they have had, in the AAC).
10-11-2019 10:38 AM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats

I don't get it.

You can slam the AAC fanboys for their cluelessness and/or hypocrisy (I'm right there with you), but some of UConn's slide in hoops has been its own fault and not merely its membership in the American (and I'm not suggesting you feel that is the only reason UConn hoops has suffered).

Bill, great post. Swap out BC for Notre Dame and I agree with it 100%.

BC was a local game for UConn, but in men's basketball BC has always been pretty terrible (with the exception of a few random seasons here and there). Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, and Cincinnati will definitely be missed on our future Big East schedules., though.
10-11-2019 11:41 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(10-11-2019 11:41 AM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

I don't get it.

Bill, great post. Swap out BC for Notre Dame and I agree with it 100%.

BC was a local game for UConn, but in men's basketball BC has always been pretty terrible (with the exception of a few random seasons here and there). Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, and Cincinnati will definitely be missed on our future Big East schedules., though.

Excellent catch, UCH. I can't believe I forgot Notre Dame.

I also meant to note that I feel UConn will soon be a consistent inclusion in the Top 25.
10-11-2019 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.