Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Neat encounter
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Neat encounter
I was traveling back to Texas from Europe a couple of days ago, and the delay in the Atlantic flight caused me to miss my connection at JFK. I found a room at the Radisson, and checked in.

It was about 10pm, and I realized I was famished and trundled into the restaurant to feed myself some long delayed US satisfaction of a burger and *Coca Cola*. I was wearing a Rice T-shirt.

When I walked in the couple next to me looked at me really weirdly (but of course I am used to that by now), then they both asked, serially, "Did you go to Rice? What college? (the question that discriminates the wannabes from those in the know 03-wink ) What years?"

Turned out it was Coach Lopez from the women's track team from 1980 to the 2000's. We had an extraordinarily fun time talking, as while I did not know him from my time there, I knew a good number of people that were coached by him.

He and his wife were amazingly fun to sit and chat with. He (and she) wants everyone from Rice to know how much they adore the school.

It really is fun to run into Ricies well away from the beaten path.
10-09-2019 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Neat encounter
(10-09-2019 12:00 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I was traveling back to Texas from Europe a couple of days ago, and the delay in the Atlantic flight caused me to miss my connection at JFK. I found a room at the Radisson, and checked in.
It was about 10pm, and I realized I was famished and trundled into the restaurant to feed myself some long delayed US satisfaction of a burger and *Coca Cola*. I was wearing a Rice T-shirt.
When I walked in the couple next to me looked at me really weirdly (but of course I am used to that by now), then they both asked, serially, "Did you go to Rice? What college? (the question that discriminates the wannabes from those in the know 03-wink ) What years?"
Turned out it was Coach Lopez from the women's track team from 1980 to the 2000's. We had an extraordinarily fun time talking, as while I did not know him from my time there, I knew a good number of people that were coached by him.
He and his wife were amazingly fun to sit and chat with. He (and she) wants everyone from Rice to know how much they adore the school.

Yes it is. Great story. Thanks for sharing.
10-09-2019 12:10 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
At the recent IAAF World Track and Field Championships, Victor received the IAAF Silver Order of Merit for his contributions to worldwide track and field. He has been (and still is) the long time President of NACAC (North American, Central American and Caribbean) Track and Field.

NOTICE OF AWARD

Victor is also a member of the IAAF Council, the governing body for world track and field. In other words, he's an important figure in the athletics world.

Evelyn Lopez is an amazingly talented and wonderful person. I am so glad that you happened to run into them.
10-09-2019 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(10-09-2019 12:00 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I was traveling back to Texas from Europe a couple of days ago, and the delay in the Atlantic flight caused me to miss my connection at JFK. I found a room at the Radisson, and checked in.

Good story, great man!
10-09-2019 04:36 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
That is a cool story. Victor was also a bit instrumental in getting Jose Cruz Sr. (and also Dickie Thon briefly) introduced to Rice. I'd say he had a hand in getting Jose Cruz Jr. (and in turn the other Cruz family members) to Rice.
10-09-2019 04:43 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(10-09-2019 04:43 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  That is a cool story. Victor was also a bit instrumental in getting Jose Cruz Sr. (and also Dickie Thon briefly) introduced to Rice. I'd say he had a hand in getting Jose Cruz Jr. (and in turn the other Cruz family members) to Rice.

Cool! I did not know that, but it makes sense now that you mention it.
10-09-2019 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.