Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cougar Road Tour Dates Announced
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

The Cougar Road Tour is back for its fifth year and this year three stops have been announced.

Director of Athletics Dave Maggard, Head Football Coach Art Briles, Head Men's Basketball Coach Tom Penders, Head Women's Basketball Coach Joe Curl, Head Baseball Coach Rayner Noble and UH Coaching Legend Bill Yeoman will be on hand for this summer's events. Dave Maggard and the UH coaches will discuss last season, and what to expect for the upcoming year at each event.

Each event begins at 5:30 pm and is free and open to the public. Light hors d'ouerves and cash bar will be available each night.

The Cougar Road Tour is back for its fifth year and this year three stops have been announced.

Skeeter's Mesquite Grill Coaches Road Tours, 2004

Mon., June 21, Los Tios
3308 Hwy 6 South @ Williams Trace
with Art Briles, Tom Penders, Joe Curl, Rayner Noble

Wed., July 14, Skeeter's Mesquite Grill @ Gulfgate
750 Gulfgate Center Mall (corner of 610E & Woodridge)
with Dave Maggard, Art Briles, Joe Curl, Tom Penders, Rayner Noble

Thurs., August 5, Skeeter's Mesquite Grill @ Weslayan
5529 Weslayan @ Bissonnet
with Dave Maggard, Art Briles, Joe Curl, Rayner Noble

I know I plan on being at the first one since that one is closest to where I live. Come on out and support the Coogs and find out more about the program.
06-11-2004 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies

Today I went to the Road Tour at Los Tios and it was awesome. I got there at 5:00 and it was a good thing too because the restaurant was packed. Next year they will definitely have to do it in a bigger place. I got to shake hands with Coach Yeoman and that was great. He has such good energy and was very funny.

First up was Coach Curl. He did some good natured ribbing at Coach Penders expense which was repaid later. He talked about recruiting and how we have 7 players that we are looking at for the fall signing and we have one of them locked up. He also discussed this years recruits and how we managed to steal the best female high school player in Alabama from under UA's and AU's noses. He gave us an update on Chandi in the WNBA and let us know that at this point in time Sancho is projected to be top three pick for the WNBA.

Next up was Coach Rayner. He talked about how next year we could be fielding a very very young team in baseball. He informed us that pretty much all the talent from this years team is gone and that we even loss a couple of recruits that were drafted that we were hoping would be able to play first base. He said pitching looks pretty good and we are looking for a 3rd starter and a closer. Musselwhite will be transferring and Coach Rayner felt that he could not help him get to where he wanted to be. He said next year could be like 2001 and that he was hoping that the team would be able to mature like the 2001 team did and have the same if not more success. When asked about the schedule Coach Rayner stated that with the new conference schedule in baseball that he may be able to lighten up on the scheduling just a little bit. He also said a lot of it depends on what happens with the start of the baseball season.

Then we have Coach Penders who quickly retaliated against Coach Curl for his earlier remarks. He then intoduced us to some coaches in his staff. He discussed the 5 JUCO recruits that we have coming in and let us know that they are all studs. We will have at least to scholarships available for next year. Could be more if a player leaves because of lack of playing time. He wants to recruit at least one tall 6'10" post player and then another athletic player. He fielded a variety of questions until Coach Yeoman had to come up and shut him down. The most important of which was about the schedule. He is trying to upgrade it as much as possible. He is trying to get Illinios on the schedule, but it may be during exam time. He has us set up for a four game pre season tourney and is trying to set up a series with UCLA. The first game of which to be held in Reliant Stadium.

Finally Coach Briles took the floor. He discussed how the staff will have to find a way to keep the team fresh at the beginning of the season because of the 4 games in 19 days we have going. He said that we did lose players due to academics, but we will be able to handle it. He fielded questions about the offensive line which he said should do well. He stated plainly that unless something really wierd happens Kolb will be our starting QB. He let us know that he did not care how tall a player was, he just wanted players who were strong enough to handle their size (ie Jackie Battle). We have 9 starters returning on defense and they are working anticipating what the opposing offense will try to do. He also said that in the interior defensive line we are fine, but after this season we lose 3 seniors who play defensive end. Sounded like we were set in the secondary and surprisingly no one asked about our linebackers .

All in all it was a great experience to be there with all of the Coogs. Coach Yeoman was great and had words of praise for Maggard, Coach Briles and our affordable coach, Coach Penders. It was also nice to hear about how the Athletid Department is reaching out to students to try to get them involved with by having them tour the athletic center and having cook outs for new students and their parent led by Coach Curl.

I know I missed something and if anyone want to give their own personal update, feel free to post away.

It is a good time to be a U of H Cougar!!!!
Eat'em up Coogs!!!!!
06-22-2004 12:40 AM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Thanks for the update! :thumb:

I'm sorry to hear that Musselwhite is leaving. Glad to hear that pitching looks good, though. Both my alma maters are going to have some reloading to do on the baseball field, but I think we can get it done.
06-22-2004 08:36 AM
Advertisement

GoCougars Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston

I was there too. I got there too late and I had to stand in the back.
06-29-2004 10:32 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies

Today is the second of the Cougar road tours.

Wed., July 14, Skeeter's Mesquite Grill @ Gulfgate
750 Gulfgate Center Mall (corner of 610E & Woodridge)
with Dave Maggard, Art Briles, Joe Curl, Tom Penders, Rayner Noble

If anyone makes it out there please print an summary of what is said and how raucous the crowd is.
07-14-2004 11:08 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies

Quoted from rwcoog on Coogfans.com

Quote:I want to start off by saying how lucky we are to have a women's basketball coach like Coach Curl. He is doing amazing things for his program as well as for the overall success of the athletic program. He has been cooking and speaking for the freshmen orientations this summer and has gotten a few hundred e-mails from perspective parents inquiring about the games and tailgating. He has been handing out schedules for the football and basketball teams.

He went on to say that no one can replace a player like Chandi Jones individually, but we will replace her. He said we are recruiting big time players and that there will be no excuses next year. "We will be good, and be a national power."

After telling everyone that Art Briles would be there, it turns out he was not, but the event did not skip a beat. Coach Harris did a terrific job, even graciously staying a couple hours after the fact, and the legendary Michael Young stood in for Tom Penders who was out recruiting the country side with the other assistants.

When asked if anyone could out shoot MY, he responded by saying we will have Andre back and Latham will be out there as well. He encouraged everyone to make it to all the games and we can not do it without the fans support. MY talked about how hard Elijah Miller is working in the weight room, and went on to say how much we will be improved in the paint area. He mentioned that we have really be lacking that over the last few years, but we have it covered now with the new additions.

Coach Harris assured us that the defense will be better and coach Yeoman explained that we were playing with 5 true freshmen last year and they have a year under their belts now. Coach is looking very forward to seeing the front 7 in action this season and that the improved depth should help. He said that there are only two tackles who do not weigh 300 lbs, Kade lane and L.C. Kirpatrick. However he did say that Kade was up to 276 and it was the right kind of weight.
All the LBS have put on a lot of extra muscle to their frames in the off season. James Fitch, Trent Allen and Wade Koehl can no longer be considered undersized, all weighing in the 230-235 lb range.

There will now be a Cougar Pride as well as Coogfans tailgating areas for new fans to come and see what the UofH experience is all about.

All the head coaches are expected to be accounted for at the next and last Coaches Tour of the season on ..

Sound like Coach Briles and Coach Penders were busy working. Some of the other posters commented that they were disappointed that those two were not in attendance. These reports have me chomping at the bit for some football and basketball.
07-15-2004 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2021 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.