Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Honest question for UConn
Bookmark and Share
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Honest question for UConn
I would ask this on the AAC board, but any mention of the name UCONN brings the trolls out of the woodwork.

My honest question is this: Is UCONN planning to bring Edsall back again next season as fb Head Coach? What are the odds of that happening?
10-06-2019 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: Honest question for UConn
At this point all you can really say is it's unclear. The performance has obviously been bad. However, whether you buy it or not, the narrative with Edsall coming in was that Diaco had done a very poor job recruiting and left the program with upperclassmen that were better suited for FCS level, leaving Edsall leaning heavily on true freshman when his "system" typically calls for lineups heavy on upperclassmen who had redshirted to boot. Given the challenges in trying to attract talent while headed into the first few years of independence where scheduling is going to be difficult, if you buy the argument that Edsall didn't inherit decent upperclassmen then I could understand the university wanting to at least let his first class or two get through the program before making a final call. When you're at the bottom of FBS, churning coaches every three years seems like you're just enforcing instability and waves of transfers.

That being said, the performance hasn't been there, so nothing would surprise me.
10-07-2019 09:48 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think Edsall's contract can also push the university to go in either direction. He took less money to be the head coach (again), so it would not be a huge hit if the school decided to make a change; however, how many strong candidates would the school be able to attract knowing it will be an Independent (with that uncertainty) and coming off several tenures that vastly underperformed (Edsall, Diaco, Pasqualoni).

Ultimately, because there is still so much unknown, I think Edsall gets another year.
10-07-2019 10:37 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-07-2019 09:48 AM)Bogg Wrote:  At this point all you can really say is it's unclear. The performance has obviously been bad. However, whether you buy it or not, the narrative with Edsall coming in was that Diaco had done a very poor job recruiting and left the program with upperclassmen that were better suited for FCS level, leaving Edsall leaning heavily on true freshman when his "system" typically calls for lineups heavy on upperclassmen who had redshirted to boot. Given the challenges in trying to attract talent while headed into the first few years of independence where scheduling is going to be difficult, if you buy the argument that Edsall didn't inherit decent upperclassmen then I could understand the university wanting to at least let his first class or two get through the program before making a final call. When you're at the bottom of FBS, churning coaches every three years seems like you're just enforcing instability and waves of transfers.

That being said, the performance hasn't been there, so nothing would surprise me.

and i would think a coaching change here, coinciding with the Indy move, would be a tsunami of transfers.
10-07-2019 12:41 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I don't know, but like others have said, a coaching change during the transition would probably not be ideal. 2021 will be the make or break year for Edsall IMO.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019 01:26 PM by HuskyU.)
10-07-2019 01:26 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
UConn football at this point would not realistically be able to attract strong candidates to replace Edsall. It might be able to land a solid coach, but ...

The program should stay the course for now and get through the transition.
10-07-2019 03:03 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Thank you for the candid replies. I admit that I don’t really see a viable path forward for UConn football. I think UMass and New Mexico State provide the template for FBS Independents that do not have a built-in national following like Notre Dame or Army or BYU.
But we shall see. Good luck to Coach Edsall and his players this season and in the future.
10-07-2019 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.